ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by PKBasu »

Wow, there are many more R1 crackers happening today: Alex de Minaur (winner at Eastbourne last week, semifinalist at Queen's) against Sebastian Korda (quarterfinalist at Halle, after wins over Bautista-Agut and Nishikori); Tsitsipas vs Tiafoe (quarterfinalist at Queen's); two-time champion Andy Murray vs. Nikoloz Bashilashvili (semifinalist at Halle).

But rain seems to have already delayed the start of proceedings by an hour. Of course, Centre Court and Court 1 are covered, and those matches will begin on schedule regardless of the weather: Djokovic-Draper, and Tsitsipas-Tiafoe.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Djokovic could play Kevin Anderson in R2. That could have been a cracker of a match as well, but Anderson at 35 seems to be a shadow of his former self even on grass. He played the two Nottingham Challengers, made the QF in one, but lost to Kudla in R1 of the second. Ranked 102 now, he failed to qualify into Eastbourne, losing in Q1 to Purcell. I doubt he'll present any real problems for Djokovic.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Tiafoe took out Tsitsipas in straight sets, and Andy Murray has stamped his class in similar fashion over Bashilashvili (although, as I write, Andy fails to finish it off, and is broken for 5-5 in the third set).

Anderson is through to his date with Djokovic in R2 (after a 4-set win in R1), and Fucsovics beat Sinner in 4 as well. Djokovic dropped the first set against inspired wildcard Jack Draper (GBR, 250), but then swept through in the next 3 sets despite occasional glimpses of brilliance from the 19 year old Brit.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Strangely, play is suspended on Centre Court as soon as Murray loses the third set -- while action continues on other courts. This looks like blatant help to the ageing, tiring home-boy. Since there's a roof on Centre Court, there can be no reason to suspend action before the outer courts.
Dinesh
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Dinesh »

^^^ No, they also stopped the play in another court where Monfils and O’Connell were playing. In fact, there are a handful of ongoing matches moved to Tuesday for completion whereas Murray came back and closed it out, thanks to the closed roofs and lights.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

I have been missing from the forum for a bit so bringing back an old discussion.

As a Nadal fan, I have to sourly admit that Djokovic has now taken a clear lead in the GOAT stakes. I am a bit surprised he took Wimbledon given how the next gen has no idea on how to play on grass and at worse, he would have been the 3rd favourite.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

OK, I noticed that Murray came back later and finished it in 4 sets. The break helped him no doubt, but was perhaps legit as a means to close the roof. What I found bizarre at the time was how many matches were still ongoing on outer courts when the Centre Court match was suspended.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Sebastian Korda beat Alex de Minaur in four tight sets. de Minaur peaked a bit too early -- winning the title at Eastbourne last week, after making the SF at Queen's the previous week, and won a round at Stuttgart before that. Korda made the QF at Halle (beating Bautista-Agut and Nishikori in straight sets), then took a week off before Wimbledon. That seemed to have worked out better for him. Alex overdid the grass experience...
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Sin Hombre wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:49 am I have been missing from the forum for a bit so bringing back an old discussion.

As a Nadal fan, I have to sourly admit that Djokovic has now taken a clear lead in the GOAT stakes. I am a bit surprised he took Wimbledon given how the next gen has no idea on how to play on grass and at worse, he would have been the 3rd favourite.
Welcome back, Sin Hombre. Don't worry, Nadal's place in the pantheon of tennis gods is secure. He is the GOAT in his own way. Unmatched and likely never will be matched when it comes to exploits on the red clay. Tremendous athlete, court artist, professional and a human being with rock solid values. Tennis is blessed to have him.

Regarding Nadal skipping Wimbledon this year, that FO semi against Djokovic seems to have done significant damage physically and mentally. Usually Nadal out intensifies any and all opponents. But Djokovic took it physically and mentally to a whole new level. Nadal tried to keep up but seemed visibly broken in the fourth set. I couldn't believe what he looked like then. Had never seen him like that. He'll heal and hopefully be back for the USO and continue fighting for the big trophies.

PS - The scheduling of the middle Grand Slams sucks this year. The pandemic and the Olympics made it that way I suppose.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is painful to see Federer play. I watched the second set, and the early part of the third, but then switched off the TV, because Federer wasn't able to hit anything -- he was mishitting basic shots, and his timing was so totally off that it was embarrassing to watch. This time, the game simply isn't ticking back into shape. Mannarino is playing basic serve and volley tennis, and that's good enough against Federer today.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Federer not looking good at all in his first round match against Mannarino. Moving tentatively. His forehand is a shadow of what it was even 2 years ago. He's pushing at it not swinging freely and fully. Racket head speed is way down. He seems down on himself. This against a talented journeyman. Might we be seeing Federer for the last time at the hallowed Centre Court at Wimbledon? He is down 2 sets to 1.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Federer finally found his range on his shots to go up 4-1 in the fourth set. Mannarino managed to hold for 2-4, but slipped and fell soon after. Federer swept through to take the set 6-2, and Mannarino gave a walkover. Unfortunate end, just as Federer had begun to play a bit more like Federer. He will have to do much better against Gasquet or Sugita in R2.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

In the battle of qualifiers, Antoine Hoang defeated Zhizhen Zhang in a 5-setter. I'm glad the Frenchman (of Vietnamese extraction) beat the first man from communist China to qualify into the main draw at Wimbledon. He gets a tough assignment against Sebastian Korda next.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Medvedev vs Alcaraz could be an interesting R2 match, apart from Federer-Gasquet. Today, as I expected, Djokovic thrashed Kevin Anderson, who is probably playing his last Wimbledon.

Potential R3 match-up between Kyrgios and Auger-Aliassime will surely be a cracker of a match. Hopefully on Centre Court.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Murray vs. Shapovalov should be a great R3 match. And qualifier Kudla has set up a Centre Court date with Djokovic in R3.