General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by prasen9 »

Is Miami a reasonably fast court?

Update: Answering my own question. Source: Court Speeds

Court Speed Index for 2017 (Main Show Court Average)
Tournament CPI 2016 CPI 2017 Year on Year Difference
Australian Open Unknown 42 –
Indian Wells 30 27.4 -2.6
Miami 33.1 30.3 -2.8
Monte Carlo 23.7 24.9 +1.2
Madrid 22.5 20.9 -1.6
Rome 24 22 -2
Roland Garros Unknown 21 –
Wimbledon Unknown 37 –
Montreal N/A 36.3 –
Cincinnati 35.1 33.6 -1.5
US Open Unknown 35.7 –
Shanghai 44.4 42.9 -1.5
Paris 39.1 37.5 -1.6
London 42.1 41.4 -0.7

So Shanghai, the Australian Open, and London are the fastest although the ATP possibly rates them as medium. Madrid, Rolland Garros, and Rome are the clay courts. Interesting to see that the faster hard courts are faster than Wimbledon! Which sort of explains the Federer successes and Nadal failures at the Aussie. On the slower side, we then have Monte Carlo and Indian Wells followed by Miami. Interesting to see the wide range of speeds on hard courts.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Monte Carlo is also played on clay courts.

While grass may not be as fast as some of the fastest hard courts, it generally has the lowest (and sometime unpredictable) bounce, so it generally favors big servers and those who can finish the points quickly when compared to the hard courts.

Interesting that Yuki has done well in the slower hard courts at the Master's level which I think helped nullify some of the advantage the bigger server's and hitters had (although Yuki does have plenty of pace on his ground strokes). However, at the challenger level where you play more grinders, he does better in the faster hard courts as we saw in the 2 challengers towards the end of the year in India.
Varma

Post by Varma »

Very interesting numbers, Prasen. Thanks for sharing! Indian Wells, the slowest of the hard courts, last year (27.4) was closer to fastest clay courts (Monte Carlo @ 24.9 with a difference of 2.5) than the next slowest hard courts (Miami @ 30.3 with a difference of 2.9). I am also surprised to see that Wimbledon these days is way slower than the fastest hard courts. Before they started slowing it down, I wonder what its index in mid 80s was!

- Varma
Last edited by Varma on Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

It was pleasantly surprising to see Yuki do so well on slower hard courts. Usually he has done well on faster courts such as Australian open or in Taipei or Washington or some of the indoor courts. Probably the first time he has done well at this level on slower courts which is good sign.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Man, was I wrong about Isner-Chung! Surprised that it was such a one-sided win for Isner. So may be this is the year for giants in Miami!
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Wow what a performance by Isner. I never knew he that kind of level in him. No one could have lived with him. That 117 mph forehand winner will be legendary. It was so fast I never saw it bounce. It was sheer brilliance. Delpo didn't get a look in. :clap: :notworthy:
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Isner's monstrous service killed Delpo. Clear favourite for the title.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

62.5% of the quarterfinalists were 6'5" or taller
75% of the semifinalists were 6'5" or taller
100% of the finalists are 6'5" or taller

This is the year for giants in Key Biscayne.

Not surprised that Delpo lost to Isner. He said that his back was tightening up even before his quarterfinals match against Raonic. Just goes to show how difficult it is to win the Sunshine Double. Djokovic and Federer are beasts to have done it a number of times!

I think Zverev has the edge in the finals tomorrow.
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Maybe instead of cutting out sets, what if tennis went to one serve instead of two?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Isner produced a fortnight of magic, and the USA won both titles at Key Biscayne! Sloane Stephens had done almost nothing since winning the US Open, but she shone at home in Florida.
Sad that this is the last year the tournament will be played at Key Biscayne.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

An amazing comeback after three elbow surgeries by the Spaniard Pablo Andujar ... Check write up from ATP site.
Morocco Open

Singles - Final

[PR] P. Andujar (ESP) d [2] K. Edmund (GBR) 62 62

Pablo Andujar became the lowest-ranked ATP World Tour champion in 20 years on Sunday, beating first-time finalist Kyle Edmund 6-2, 6-2 to win the Grand Prix Hassan II for a record third time.

The Spaniard was No. 1,824 in the ATP Rankings just two months ago, the result of an elbow injury that required three surgeries. But the World No. 355 is now the lowest-ranked tour-level titlist since Lleyton Hewitt (No. 550) prevailed in Adelaide 20 years ago.

"I always believed that I could come back," Andujar said. "Otherwise, I wouldn't have tried."
sportsfan

Post by sportsfan »

PKBasu wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:56 am Isner produced a fortnight of magic, and the USA won both titles at Key Biscayne! Sloane Stephens had done almost nothing since winning the US Open, but she shone at home in Florida.
Sad that this is the last year the tournament will be played at Key Biscayne.
Glad I was able to catch some action at Crandon Park this year before the tournament moves to the Hard Rock stadium. The facility at Crandon Park was a treat for the fans in terms of getting an up-close view of the matches. However, it wasn't the most convenient location in terms of access (traffic jams), parking, capacity and more importantly corporate suits at the stadium. The Hard Rock stadium will rake in quite a bit of sponsorship money.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Amazon Prime gets UK rights for the US open for the next 5 years. No US open for me then :damn:
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Just watched Rafa dismantle Thiem 6-0. One of the most awesome performances I have seen. To think commentators were saying it would be a contest. Words fail me to describe how good that was.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Rafa is fighting a) his body and b) the odd bad day on court. Except these two, there are no real impediments to him on clay.

Loved some of Nishikori's backhands against Cilic. Glad that he won.