ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by PKBasu »

I believe she was born in Osaka to a Japanese mother and a Haitian father. They must have decided to use Osaka as her surname in order to give her a Japanese identity (and passport). The Haitian surname might have made it difficult to get a Japanese passport (many Chinese and Koreans who have Japanese passports have been obliged to "Japanise" their names, albeit not all: I've had colleagues with ethnically Korean surnames who are treated as pure Japanese in a Japanese company, partly because of their facility with the Japanese language).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 am More importantly, is she officially Hatian Asian??!! 😜

Hasian?!
AsHat-ian? :p
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

prasen9 wrote: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:06 am
jai_in_canada wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:07 am More importantly, is she officially Hatian Asian??!! 😜

Hasian?!
AsHat-ian? :p
Definitely an Haitian Asian Sensation! Sensei-Hatian! :D
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

Saw Djokovic play his doubles match. If I was a betting man I'd go all in on Paire.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 am Saw Djokovic play his doubles match. If I was a betting man I'd go all in on Paire.
I wouldn't put too much stock into Djokovic's doubles performance. I saw him lose twice in the first round of doubles in Toronto (2010 with Nadal to an unknown Raonic & Pospisil, and 2016 with Zimonic) and then went on to go deep in the tournament (SF, W respectively) . He can look like a fish out of water in doubles. My hunch tells me that he'll at least get to the quarters, although i have a hard time believing my hunch because of how he did in Indian Wells, especially the third set against Taro Daniel. So may be you're right.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:36 am Saw Djokovic play his doubles match. If I was a betting man I'd go all in on Paire.
I hope you did put some money on it, wasn't even much of a contest.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 am
Not really into betting but stuff like this does make me wonder if I should
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

S_K_S wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:46 am
Sin Hombre wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:33 am
Not really into betting but stuff like this does make me wonder if I should
You should! And please tell me what you're betting on! Cuz my hunches are useless! 😕
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Kokkinakis beats a very grumpy Federer as he gets a big scalp in his return from injury.

Nadal gets back the #1 despite being missing from action for months.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I am a bit sad that Federer will skip the clay court season again. He possibly felt that he is not in that good form to be able to overcome several clay-courters and the inevitably long rallies/matches will take a toll on his body. He has said in the past that he grew up playing on clay and does not really hate clay. So, I am guessing that this is a pragmatic decision. I am not trying to second guess his reasoning. He is one of the shrewdest minds with respect to planning, etc. But I was really hoping to see some epic clashes between Federer and generation next at the French.

Some people, may be including myself, may be surprised that I will miss Federer at the French because I am not that much of a Federer fan. But I am not a Federer hater either. Excessive domination by one person makes tournaments boring for me. At the French, Federer is not a shoo-in even though he is very good. Nadal not playing (or not playing at full fitness) makes it more interesting. It would have made for excellent drama to see (at least one of) the old guard fight the new. Now a Wimbledon with a fit and in-form Federer becomes a yawn for me. So, if the Fed misses Wimbledon, I won't care that much.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:42 am ... I am not that much of a Federer fan. But I am not a Federer hater either. .... Now a Wimbledon with a fit and in-form Federer becomes a yawn for me. So, if the Fed misses Wimbledon, I won't care that much.
Nice to see another Federer-neutral tennis follower on this forum. Of course, Fed has fantastic achievements and is elegant and is a great ambassador of the sport, yada yada.... but I have enjoyed the different styles and personalities that Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Wawrinka and Del Potro have brought to the game. Tennis is always more interesting when there are multiple unique personalities, styles and rivalries..... but I will be sad if Federer misses Wimby this year. He's a real treat to watch on that grass even if it just on TV.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Yes, from the perspective of the elegant volleys and lobs, etc. his shots are a treat to watch. From the perspective of "epic battles", I hope someone steps up to challenge him at Wimbledon. He will be playing that one for sure. I have enjoyed all of the above as well as the next-geners Cilic, Sasha, Thiem.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:44 pm Yes, from the perspective of the elegant volleys and lobs, etc. his shots are a treat to watch. From the perspective of "epic battles", I hope someone steps up to challenge him at Wimbledon. He will be playing that one for sure. I have enjoyed all of the above as well as the next-geners Cilic, Sasha, Thiem.
Among the NextGen I am excited about Shapavolov, Chung, Kyrgios, de Minaur etc. And yes, it is always interesting to see cross-generational rivalries - like when a young Federer toppled Sampras at Wimby 2001.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I like Shapalov too. Chung seems somewhat boring to me. But maybe as I watch him more, I may like him.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Lots of interesting spellings for Shapovalov here :p

The main reason for Federer skipping clay is maintaining his current mental superiority over Nadal, even a half-fit one.