ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: ATP Tennis/Non-India Davis Cup

Post by S_K_S »

My omission of the Bryan's was in no way a reflection of them not being a great pair. I was just making the list based on names that you associate if you say one of the names. Bryan bros are up their with the very best.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

The Bryans are without question one of the greatest doubles pairs of all time. But they lost the final at Indian Wells to Sock/Isner, potentially another very strong American pairing.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The Bryans are without question one of the greatest doubles pairs of all time. But they lost the final at Indian Wells to Sock/Isner, potentially another very strong American pairing.

And, indeed, even as I was writing about the gap between a fit Federer and the rest, Coric was matching Federer shot for shot in the first set. I switched off at 4-all in the first set (and set the recording), but Coric fought all the way. Federer's backhand was off yesterday, which helped Coric, but I think Federer will be vulnerable against DelPotro in the final unless his game is firing on all cylinders.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Terrific win for DelPotro. Federer had two DFs in the final set tiebreaker, succumbing to the pressure.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Deserved winner, should have closed it out in straights.

Naomi Osaka won on the women's side as Japan and Korea continue to make great strides in tennis. She came in unseeded but beat Halep, Pliskova and Sharapova on the way. Seems to be on a proper breakthrough season after a round 4 run at the Aussie.

Next up for her is Serena in R1 at Miami :p
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Naomi Osaka is born to a Haitian father and Japanese mother. So, she will have some genes which made her stronger than the usual Japanese women. Also she has been living in US since the age of 3. So, I dont think Japan can take any credit for her development as a top class tennis player.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

sameerph wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am Naomi Osaka is born to a Haitian father and Japanese mother. So, she will have some genes which made her stronger than the usual Japanese women. Also she has been living in US since the age of 3. So, I dont think Japan can take any credit for her development as a top class tennis player.
Oooh! Is it PC to state that??! :-~ :eek:
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:56 pm Terrific win for DelPotro. Federer had two DFs in the final set tiebreaker, succumbing to the pressure.
Federer should have lost to Coric in the semis after being down a set and a break in the second set (and also in the third set), but he eked out an unlikely win. Federer should have won against Delpo in the finals after saving a matchpoint in the second set tiebreak and being up 5-4, 40-15 in the third, but he eked out an unlikely loss. It would have been easy for Delpo to rue the loss of championship point in the second set and being down 2 championship points in the third, but to his credit he stayed in the moment and stayed aggressive. I guess it all evens out. Talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (for Fed) and victory from the jaws of defeat (for Delpo). Just goes to show that even Federer with two consecutive championship points is not a sure thing. Didn't he lose a USO semi to Djokovic in a similar way? That is the magic of sports, especially the way tennis is scored. Many a slip between cup and lip. It ain't over till the ample lady croons. Happy for Delpo, though. Great guy and great player. Surprised that this was his first Masters 1000 title, given his quality. And still happy for Federer for retaining the #1 ranking for another couple of weeks by making it to the semis.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:Offtopic: Naomi Osaka was very impressive at Indian Wells, but it will be interesting to see if she can maintain that level in subsequent tournaments.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

jai_in_canada wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:27 pm
sameerph wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:55 am Naomi Osaka is born to a Haitian father and Japanese mother. So, she will have some genes which made her stronger than the usual Japanese women. Also she has been living in US since the age of 3. So, I dont think Japan can take any credit for her development as a top class tennis player.
Oooh! Is it PC to state that??! :-~ :eek:
Objectively, all world-class tennis players are stronger than the "usual" (average) women of their country :-) Luckily, tennis does not need only brute power. Chang won grand slams. Nishikori was in the top-5 or so.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I understood PKB to mean "she will have some genes which made her stronger than the usual Japanese women who are world class tennis players."

While it may not be PC, there is probably some truth to it. I believe Naomi is essentially American having grown up and played most of her tennis in the US and speaks no Japanese. It seems her father (who is a little like Richard Williams who guided the Williams sisters) wanted her to play for Japan expecting that she would get more sponsorhips and/or federation support especially when she was lower ranked. Now that she looks like a top 10 talent, it may make sense for her to switch back to the US.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

That was Sameer you were quoting, Arjun, not me :D
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

We all know PKB is the expert on non-PC questions as Rahul Gandhi experienced recently :p
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Who cares if Sameer said it? Let's dump it on PKB :p [In Bengali, we have a saying, "Joto dosh, Nondo Ghosh". Literally, "All blame Nondo Ghosh" meaning that whoever did it does not matter. Let us blame everything on Nondo Ghosh. Seems like PKB is the designated non-PC commentator on the Forum now after his stellar performance :-)]
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

If Naomi Osaka's father is of Hatian descent, why is her last name Osaka?

More importantly, is she officially Hatian Asian??!! 😜

Hasian?!