How to make better players

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

colinjones

How to make better players

Post by colinjones »

Its been a loong time since i've posted here (forgot my password :oops:). I have some very interesting stuff to share. Crazy, but definitely interesting. I do remember some of you having a discussion about how to make better tennis players. I have the answer right here. But first I must tell you, two months ago I was a pretty talentless tennis player. Today I can play like Federer. This is not a joke, and it is not an exaggeration.

My tennis has improved beyind belief through simple meditation ie developing the ability to not think. I have been practising meditation for two years now. It started out as a way to kick my smoking habit ( :oops:) , but I never realised just how powerful it is. Two months ago I had my first glimpse of the immense powers of the mind. I won't tell you what happened because it'll sound crazy, and I have plenty more crazy stuff to tell you anyway. Let me tell you, every one of us uses less than ten percent of our brain. The other 90% is capable of things you could never imagine.

Two weeks ago something incredible happened to me. I learned how to go into suspended animation. Its is a state in which the body shuts down completely. It is in fact the state between life and death. I was wondering whether i'd fallen asleep, but it was so much more intense than that. I asked a freind of mine to keep an eye on me to see what exactly I was doing. He said I stopped breathing completely and I stayed like that for 14 minutes. He even threw a glass of water over me b/c he thought I'd die if I didn't breath. I was completely oblivious, and i'm still very much alive. Suspended animation is the most intense form of meditation that the brain is capable of (think about it. 14 minutes without air). There are very few people in the world who have experienced it. Even many people who teach mediation haven't experienced it. I was very lucky.
This is the incredible part: ever since that day I have been able to hit Sania's forehand. Not merely a shot similiar to it, but the exact same shot! From the wrist-snap to the posture, to the timing, to the incredible power, to the stillness of the head everything is identical. I have a single handed backhand which used to be a pretty poor shot. Not anymore. It is now almost identical to Roger Federer's backhand, but I think the timing of the shot is a little better than his. It is what his backhand could have been had he been gifted with the perfect backhand instead of the forehand. My slice backhand, and posture is very similiar too. Like him I hold my head still, back straight at all times, and my balance is perfect. Add topspin and Sania's forehand turns into Federer's. Hit the ball late, and it turns into Steffi's. I have to say that having hit both, sania's forehand is actually slightly better than steffi's.

So what does it all mean? What it means is that when it comes to hitting a tennis-ball roger and sania have the most intense form of concentration that the brain is capable of, and that is why Federer is considered technically the greatest talent the game has ever seen. From the concentration comes the timing, the perfect muscular co-ordination, the perfect posture, and from all that comes the wrist-snap that sets him apart from the tour.

There are plenty of players who time the ball very well (Justine, Baghy, agassi etc.), so what sets Roger apart? Roger is not merely a good timer of the ball, his timing is absolute perfection (i'll say it because i've experienced what it feels like to time the ball like him). What is the difference between his level of concentration and agassi's?
To understand that you need to take a look at some photographs of tennis players hitting the ball, or you have to know what an expressionless face looks like. The first part of meditation is about learning to empty your mind of thought and focus on a single object. I learned using a candle. Even this part is very difficult. Most people take a couple of years to learn how to focus on a single thing for a even few minutes. Invariably you'll find yourself frowning with the effort of focusing on one thing and one thing only. This is what top players have the ability to do. They have the ability to focus only on the ball and the shot they are going to play, and that is why they are so good at hitting the ball. Most of them from Steffi, to agassi to Sampras focus on a single thing, and the effort shows on their face. They have single-pointed concentration.

What do you notice about Federer? This is strange part. Federer's face, and sania's are almost expressionless. For them, hitting the ball is effortless.
The most advanced form of meditation is about learning to focus on absolutely nothing. Its is that absolute blankness inside us that you all experience in the few moments before you fall asleep (and thats why sleep is so relaxing). In advanced meditation you can hold on to it without falling asleep, and it is much more intense. When I first started to hold onto the blankness (this is where the expression 'as black as death' comes from), I noticed that my face started to change. I felt as if my skin was being stretched and pulled. I realised that for the first time in my life my facial muscles were completely relaxed. All the creases have disappeared, and now my face is always expressionless because I've learned to stay thoughtless even with my eyes open (trust me, this stuff works better than Botox!). In the last month I have seen only 3 people with an expressionless face because as I said, all of us just think too much to ever tap into our potential.This is what separates genius from the rest of us.

The most intense form of mediation is about losing yourself in that blankness (suspended animation) so that the concious brain ceases to exist for a few minutes. When you do that you can start to tap into the most advanced centres of the brain. And that is how I learned to play like Federer. Federer doesn't play with his concious brain. He plays tennis using the most advanced parts of his subconcious brain. He was gifted with the ability to focus on the blankness inside him when he hits the ball, and thats how he can do things that no-one else can. The purest form of concentration is so intense that it is completely effortless, and that is why sania and federer's faces are almost expressionless. Having hit sania's forehand (and her double-handed backhand is a killer too. I started hitting some unbelievable angles, but I prefer a one-hander), I can tell you that the shot is completely effortless. The kind of power you can generate from just perfect timing is simply unbelievable. The difference in timing between Federer's forehand and sampras is just a thousanth of a second. It is that level of concentration that separates genius from mere champions.
This is why sania can barely seem to win matches anymore, and why federer spent his youth as a headcase. Its incredibly difficult to focus on nothing for any length of time. She improves her attention span through practice. Practice is a very primitive form of meditation because you focus on your work during practice. Through actual meditation you can improve your attention span infinitely faster, and learn new shots at record-breaking pace. In two weeks I've learned to hit some of the shots that it took Federer a decade to learn. Its just that simple when you stop thinking.

This post may sound insane, but I promise that every word I have typed is the gospel truth. I am not exaggerating in any way. Everyone on the planet has a Federer, or a Ronaldinho inside their heads. You want champions? Get players to mediate. You won't find too many who can focus on nothing, but you'll certainly find a few who can focus on the ball. :wink:
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: How to make better players

Post by arjun2761 »

This reminds me of the parable of the blind men describing an elephant :D
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

arjun2761 wrote: This reminds me of the parable of the blind men describing an elephant :D
Actually, it sounds more like an elephant describing the blind men - a lot of trumpeting.  :D
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

I saw this post today, because of the link by jai_in_Canada in his top ten list. Well I didn't have the patience to read the whole post by colinjones, but it reminds me of an experience that I had long time back , which felt like out of this world. I thought I got an outer body experience, which I later discovered to be a sleep disorder.

Most of us know that some people do sleep walking. In sleep walking, basically the mind is asleep while body is physically awake and therefore one can do physical activities, but they won't remember a thing as the mind was asleep. Same way as we don't remember our dreams unless we wake up suddenly while dreaming. There is another type of disorder where the mind is awake and the body is still sleeping. The body seems to be totally paralyzed, but you can think. You can't see any thing as the eyes are shut and you don't have power to open the eyes. Its a weird feeling and what happens is that you start imagining things that seems so real. And you may imagine that you are moving or you are flying. It is really a frightening experience.
Well before finishing this post, I just did a google search and found that this disorder is called sleep paralysis
So you can read about it and discover what the sufferer goes through. Here is another link.

Oh! I was so relieved when I discovered that it was simply a sleep disorder and harmless. I had this experience many times, although very infrequent, for one or two years - around 20 years back when I was in IIT (no internet in those days to find a ready answer). I could not tell this to anyone because no one would have believed my outer body experience. But once I realized what it was,  I could easily handle the later experiences.

Since then, when I hear super natural experiences by people, I suspect it to be the sleep paralysis and I believe that from their side they are not making it up and they sincerely believe in it.

Could colinjones have this disorder when he tries to meditate?

Anybody in this forum has experienced this?
genius

Post by genius »

colinjones wrote:
This post may sound insane, but I promise that every word I have typed is the gospel truth. I am not exaggerating in any way. Everyone on the planet has a Federer, or a Ronaldinho inside their heads. You want champions? Get players to mediate. You won't find too many who can focus on nothing, but you'll certainly find a few who can focus on the ball. :wink:
Can you stop making a fool out of yourself ? Maybe meditation has its uses. but i do not trust your insights one iota.
forpar

Post by forpar »

Hence the quote...
"Freedom of speech is a beautiful thing. Makes it easy to identify fools"
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by S_K_S »

You may not agree with what has been posted but there is no need to resort to insults.
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

colinjones may have exaggerated a little bit. But I am sure it helps the players to achieve their optimum if they can meditate and focus only on the tennis ball and shut out the rest from their minds during play.
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

Someone I consider as guruji (loosely) says

"that people can do their best only when when they are Relaxed and Intense at the same time."

He goes on to say "when I ask you to relax you become lax and when I ask you to be intense you become tense".

Personally I tend to believe in what he says - however difficult it may be to apply in everyday life. I do realize that I do my best when I am totally relaxed and focussed on the moment. My best shots in tennis always come when I seem to hit the ball without any conscious thinking - just being in the moment...  I should stop here else may run the risk of people jumping on me as they did on CJ.

Sanjay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sanjay,  No one will run you out of this place since none of us can run as fast or as far as you can (marathon man).  :D  On the other hand, you did not write what Colins wrote:
It is now almost identical to Roger Federer's backhand, but I think the timing of the shot is a little better than his. It is what his backhand could have been had he been gifted with the perfect backhand instead of the forehand.
  :D

There is no doubt that meditation, prayer, yoga, a relaxed state of mind, proper focus, etc will help us to do our job better than when we are tensed up or nervous or uptight.  However, a relaxed mind alone will not make me as good or better than Federer.
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

BSharma wrote: Sanjay,  No one will run you out of this place since none of us can run as fast or as far as you can (marathon man).  :D
BSharma - how did you know about this? I have not posted this on the forum. But now, since you have already let the cat out of the bag, I will let everyone know:

Last I posted was regarding completing the half marathon (13.1 miles or about 21 km) in 2:21:xx time at Lincoln, NE in May 2006.
Two weeks ago on Sep 24th I completed my first full marathon (26.2 miles or 42 km) in Omaha, NE in 5:07:52 time and then went on to complete the Kansas City Marathon on Oct 7 in 5:14:06.

I ran all these barefoot - naturally of course (call myself a natural runner).

Sanjay
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

BSharma wrote: However, a relaxed mind alone will not make me as good or better than Federer.
Apparently, it can make one hallucinate that their backhand is better than Federer's.
sanjay5goel wrote: I ran all these barefoot - naturally of course (call myself a natural runner).
And Sanjay, you ran a marathon barefoot??!!  Are you out of your mind or out of your body??!!  What type of meditation or medication are you on??!!  Just kidding, of course!  :D

That's amazing Sanjay. I am starting to believe that the human foot is the best running shoe there is to optimize performance and prevent injury.  Of course, the problem is that it does not protect against injury from thorns, sharp pebbles etc.  How do you avoid that running a marathon course as opposed to on the track?
Last edited by jai_in_canada on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanjay5goel

Post by sanjay5goel »

jai_in_canada wrote: I am starting to believe that the human foot is the best running shoe there is to optimize performance and prevent injury.  Of course, the problem is that it does not protect against injury from thorns, sharp pebbles etc.  How do you avoid that running a marathon course as opposed to on the track?
j_i_c - how have you started to believe such an unconventional thing?? Is it due to my 2 posts regarding running marathons or have been reading about it?

There is no secret to running barefoot - all humans have been doing that for hundreds or thousands of years. Roads (esp. in US) are prettly clean and no dangers of thorns/pebbles etc. We just learn to be more vigilant on how to avoid these pitfalls - that's all.

Sanjay
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

One of the greatest marathoners (1960 and 1964 Olympics winner) ran barefoot in Rome, but I think that he wore shoes in Tokyo.

Sanjay,

One of my former students, Joe Metcalf, is a physician in Nebraska and is a marathon runner.  He would give me his weekly running report when he was trying to make the 1996 US marathon Olympic team and I would try to find him information about increasing his physiologic outputs.  Say hi to him if you ever meet him at some running events in Nebraska.

Joe Metcalf
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

sanjay5goel wrote: Last I posted was regarding completing the half marathon (13.1 miles or about 21 km) in 2:21:xx time at Lincoln, NE in May 2006.
Two weeks ago on Sep 24th I completed my first full marathon (26.2 miles or 42 km) in Omaha, NE in 5:07:52 time and then went on to complete the Kansas City Marathon on Oct 7 in 5:14:06.

I ran all these barefoot - naturally of course (call myself a natural runner).

Sanjay
Congratulations, Sanjay.. Thatz an incredible effort...

Jai, after seeing Kenyans dominate marathon running barefoot, NIKE Poured lot of money and came up with an expensive shoe. This shoe is very light weight and is called Nike free . They started at Nike 4 (i think) and are currently at Nike 7.0. Nike 10 being the equivalent of the Barefoot... This shoe is supposed to mimic barefoot as much as  possible. I think Reebok or Adidas also has similar shoes .

i do have a barely used Nike Free shoe 5.0 (size 11 I think), if anybody wants it... :(. Instead of it sitting idly in my garage, i would love to have someone put it to more productive use

http://www.american-trackandfield.com/f ... iew04.html -
Last edited by Kumar on Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.