Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Tennis Academies/Facilities in India

Post by jayakris »

:tomato: :oops: ... Need to go looking which ones from Dhruv has gone by the way side .. Oh welll ... more :tomato:

Sorry eddie .. I wanted to send an email to AITA to get your the answer on NTA.. Haven't got around to doing that. Then I saw that you got a lot of answers here and rationalized to myself that it was no longer an urgent matter :)

Jay
XYZ

Post by XYZ »

Eddie

I forgot to mention two names even though I don't know where they can be contacted :

1. Sandeep Kirtane ( I think he coaches Purav Raja in mumbai)
2. Nitin Kirtane (Pune)

All the best.
harshfan

Post by harshfan »

Also, suresh kumar's academy in madras - he has coached a number of juniors who have been in the top 10 nationally in the juniors.
punekar
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by punekar »

There is another academy in Pune - Sunny Jacob Tennis Academy (020-26361304). This is located at the Ladies club in the Camp Area. I dont know if this is in the same class as the others mentioned here. But this is great topic. Maybe someone can post all the known tennis academies on one sticky page.
punekar

Post by punekar »

Tennis coaching workshop being held at Pune this week:

http://www.aitatennis.com/News/IIINATIO ... _16NOV.htm
paulo_eddie

Post by paulo_eddie »

thts a great suggestion, punekar.
To have a thread where all the major tennis academies or the ones which provide a good standard of coaching and playing conditions could be listed down and more names could be added as and when required.
i feel this may be of use to people who browse this site or come across it casually, providing an added value.
i hope the tennis moderators look into it soon. hey jay,Bsharma,gvhv,nothingnew,SKS..............u folks listening???
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Couldn't that be seen as Sports-India endorsing those academies? I would suggest an alternative way would be for the mods to perhaps give a summary of the academies mentioned at the top of this thread,should this thread become huge, which it is not at the moment.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yes, I think we should be careful in listing academies officially, because that is the kind of thing which will cause hassles, and also it is is difficult to keep information current as coaches shcnage and the academies change. Let us just keep this thread going. If anybody knows anything about any of the academies, just add the info. Anybody who is looking for academy info should have the patience to at least read through the thread carefully rather than look at some tabularized info which could have wrong data and will look more like endorsement from us.

Jay
Nate

Post by Nate »

I think this thread should be re-named simply as Tennis Academies/Facilities in India removing the adjectives from the title, which gives an impression of a recommendation from the forum. Any news or information about the facilities can be posted under this thread with the standard disclaimers.

Anyway... the reason I dug this thread up is I found a news item about Practennis in Mumbai (it will be safe to say that Karan Rastogi is a product of Practennis) and wanted to post the link.

Do you know who are associated with Practennis and who are the major sponsors? They are getting some coaches from overseas, Australia in particular.

http://ia.rediff.com/sports/2006/feb/21 ... &file=.htm
x_y_Z_a

Post by x_y_Z_a »

Practennis is one of the biggest in terms of number of courts - it has 11 + tennis courts. Due to this they also have the maximum number of trainees. It is run by one Mr. Ramarao. As far as I know, they don't have a sponsor for the academy. But they do rope in quite a bit of sponsors for a lot of tournamnets they conduct.
Even for this Aussie coach, they probably need no sponsor as they would be charging some hefty fees for getting coaching under him. On the contrary, they would make big bucks using his name.
Ramarao always conducts some clinic with some high profile names and make big bucks.
Karan is a product of Practennis. There will be many more as it is one of the biggest academies in western suburbs.
usaindian

Re: How to Make Your Young Child Successful in Sports?

Post by usaindian »

World class academy set up in rural Punjab
http://www.hindu.com/2007/08/16/stories ... 891800.htm

[Post moved to the appropriate thread .. Mod, Jay]
eastind

SDAT (Sports Development Authority of TN) A BOON OR DOOM

Post by eastind »

:damn: I really wonder whether SDAT ( SPORTS DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITY OF TAMIL NADU) which has its Tennis courts at Nungambakkam does help in anyway the Tennis Players of Tamil Nadu.

They charge a court fee of Rs 200 per hour during the day and Rs 350 per hour under lights at night. There has been a whopping increase from Rs 100 per hour during the day and Rs 200 under lights. Any player wanting to practise has to pay the above amount and the Hitting fees that our senior players charge anywhere from 500 per hour to 800 per hour.

If a junior tennis player needs to practise on these courts they have to shell out nearly Rs 1000 per hour+cost of new balls and if you need to practise atleast twice a week then we need to shell out nearly Rs 8000 per month. This is an additional cost to the regular coaches fees.

SDAT gets its courts relaid every year free of cost by the organisers of the Chennai Open and the eastablishment charges also would not be much. The Government can bear the incidental expenses, anyway they charge money for coaching and they do not need to charge so much for serious tennis players.

If the readers of sports india write to SDAT to change their fees it would be helpful.
x_y_Z_a

Nadal Tennis School at Anantapur

Post by x_y_Z_a »

Please read :

http://www.hindu.com/2009/06/04/stories ... 411700.htm

Hopefully they will have good coaches and facilities. If that happens it will be good for Indian tennis.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: Nadal Tennis School at Anantapur

Post by Sandeep »

Surprising that they chose Anantapur to set up their academy instead of a big city where the interest in tennis is usually higher than in the towns. Anyways, a big thanks to Nadal for choosing India as one of the places to set up his academy. His efforts to help children learn tennis is exemplary.
usaindian

Re: Nadal Tennis School at Anantapur

Post by usaindian »

good for indian tennis