Supplements, banned substances etc

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I prefer not to go to google and search extensively as it may even confuse you. Just take one official organization and go throught the list and don't use them.
Reason , I suggested searching for a supplement, is to know the real purpose behind each and every supplement.. If I am going to be adding some foreign substance to my body, I would definitely want to know everything about that substance along with the potential benefits and side effects.. I am presuming the sports federation website lists just those substances that are prohibited.. But as sandeep pointed out there are going to be websites that are perfectly objective, while others are biased.. And it finally comes down to us as a individual to do what we believe to be right..

You can look at this site, regarding creatine.. Again not sure of the qualifications of the author..

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/creatine.html
Side effects and adverse reactions to creatine supplementation
Short term (less than 2 weeks) exercise studies have not reported any adverse events associated with creatine supplementation. There have been no long term studies done to evaluate the safety of prolonged administration. This is unfortunate because increasingly more and more athletes are taking creatine supplements for longer periods. Anecdotal reports have begun to emerge and have noted increased muscle cramping (especially during exercise in the heat), nausea and other gastrointestinal disturbances, elevated liver transaminases, and acute renal injury.

Creatine supplementation, in the dosages commonly used, results in urinary concentrations that are 90 times greater than normal. The long term effects of this have not been investigated, but there is possibility for a variety of nephrotoxic, i.e., kidney damaging, events. There is potential for direct toxicity on renal tubules where urine is formed, and for acceleration of kidney stone formation. Recently, a baseball player for the Houston Astros was determined to have suffered from dehydration, kidney stones, and transient kidney damage as the result of creatine supplementation. Additionally, the deaths of 3 collegiate wrestlers this past year are being investigated to determine what role creatine supplementation may have played.

Impurities are present in virtually every manufactured product, and in some cases, even though the product may be considered harmless, the impurity is not. Such was the case in the late 1980's when an epidemic of cases of eosinophilia-myalgia syndrome, including over 30 deaths, were blamed on a contaminant present in L-tryptophan (9), an amino acid supplement widely taken as a sleep aid. Creatine, and other such supplements, are not regulated by the FDA. No published investigation has been conducted on creatine to determine what impurities might be present in creatine supplements, and what their long term effect might be.

The bottom line is that no one can confidently state that prolonged creatine supplementation is safe, and its use would best be avoided until more data can be compiled. Prolonged administration is, in essence, an uncontrolled toxicity study and one which might yield harmful results. Is it worth the risk? Remember, it's your body!

i think this is slightly hypocritical on the part of the authorities as every elite and non elite athelete today take supplements of protein, creatine etc. to be in top class condition as sports has become a lot more aggressive and rigourous as compared to previous era's.
Triple any sportsman in today's world is in a catch 22 situation!!! If you don't take supplements, it is increasingly difficult to compete in this world... If you do take them, there is always a risk that it may not be good for your body. There have been even studies that suggest you shouldn't take beyond a recommended dosage of 'Soy' Protein daily!!! I guess one has to balance the good and bad and decide whether its good for one..
My worry about people like Triple_N is that tsome trainers in gyms may sell him legal stuff that has been contaminated with illegal substances. I do not trust the authenticity of regular medicines that can be purchased at a pharmacy in India.
This is one another reason, you may really want to think before taking the supplements.
mugu
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by mugu »

Sorry folks! For coming in so late.
TripleN, you already have had many links suggested to you for checking on banned substances. All of them are good sites. The basic information, of course, should come from the WADA site.
Can you actually test the stuff you are going to take? I guess, your best bet will be the Ranbaxy laboratories. They have a chain in the country.
Will they do it for you? I doubt it!
Can you get the stuff tested in the SAI Lab in Delhi (the best facility in India for dope-testing and thus presumably for testing a medication/supplement, though I cannot vouch for that.)?
If you do have connections at VERY HIGH places you might be able to get it done or may be you might be able to get it done clandestinely through some `connection' in the Lab itself.
Creatine is permitted in India and almost all other countries (banned in France; you could get arrested), but be careful, there are a lot many products available in the market these days. Same should be the case with protein bars and such stuff.
Look up information on creatine on the net. Its side effects and the cycle you have to follow etc.
General food supplements? Unless you are very sure of the source don't take them. There is a general warning from all authorities including IOC and WADA that you may avoid supplements unless you are sure about the manufacturer, though everyone knows you need them.
Get in touch with your local tennis body and then through them with the All India body. They should be able to guide you about the products available in the market, the safer ones. Common, popular multi-vitamins should be fine.
Once again my apologies for joining this thread so late.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

nothingnew wrote:Drugs in tennis is not as serious as in Athletics. In Athletics if I am right there will be a drug test for all athletes participated after every event. In tennis, I guess it is not so. Do they test after every match? I don't think so. But anyway, it is good to be on safer side. There will not be any problem if you follow more strict measures (as followed by athletics people).
Not long ago, Agassi claimed that some top-level male tennis players were being tested more often than anyone else in international sport. Maybe this is true.
All athletes don't get tested in athletics/multi-discipline meets. At the big meets (Olympics, World championships) they take the top three or top four plus random. More or less the same paattern with Asian Games, Commonwealth Games etc (though many Asian Games in the recent past did not have that arrangement). At lesser meets they decide in advance a number and then go about it. Olympic Games etc also have some out of competition testing nowadays just during the run-up, in and around the host city.
Triple N

Post by Triple N »

hey thanks mugu(& all others too), for the advice..i really appreciate it.
will keep in touch from time to time thru this great forum
take care,
adios
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good article by Bill Barclay on Rediif regarding Drug Policy on Tour ...

The side effects can be paranoia, late-night sweats and spiralling legal fees, the consequences potentially career-ending.

For a professional tennis player, taking a drink after a match is no longer a straightforward matter.

In their eagerness to eradicate doping from the sport, the game's authorities have created an atmosphere in which slaking one's thirst without first checking the ingredients is too risky to even contemplate.

Ingest a banned substance once, and you do not play for two years. Do it twice, and you are banned for life.

Drugs policy scare tennis players

Jaydeep.