Supplements, banned substances etc

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Triple N
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Triple N »

hi everyone,how's things moving in here??
exams r finally done and i'm back with my racquet :D....at last! woohoo

today i need some advice, opinions and suggestions from all of ya'll in here; bout a very serious and important topic

I would like to know of the list of banned substances in pro-tennis. An official list frm the atp/itf that someone could possibly post here would be of gr8 help too.
furthermore, i would like to know how&where a particular supplement/nutrient could be analysed for its full contents in india(esp. Mumbai).
i have been training to a strict schedule for the last 6-8 months at the gym; the personal trainer(general) has recommended some items to me which i thought i should have a second opinion on, before consuming them...i'm also putting the benefit tht the trainer said these wud provide...
1.creatine monohydrate...energy for muscles
2.glycerol...to avoid dehydration
3.Glucosamine sulfate...preventing knee injury
4.Multi-Vitamin(product- AST multi Pro -32x)....for vitamins
5.amino acids and protein powder&bars

it would be gr8 if someone might have knowledge on these and keep me informed here.
every pro has a list of supplements that he/she takes to keep in top physical condition, if somebody has some info bout them, plz post it too.

P.S. (jay and all the regulars n non regulars...am banking on u :) )
Last edited by Triple N on Thu May 19, 2005 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Hi TripleN, nice to know that you are back on court. You can get the list of prohibitive drugs from the link given below : -

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/dynamic.ch2? ... gory_id=97

That is a good site and you have lot of imformation on drugs in sports. Check all the ingredients before you use any drug and make sure it is not mentioned in the prohibitive list. Some other sources are: -

http://www.asda.org.au/

http://www.drugfreesport.com/qt-no.html

http://www.uksport.gov.uk/did/

http://www.olympics.com.au/default.asp? ... n&spg=home

If these links doesn't answer your question, please let me know I have links to atleast 20 other sites.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Triple_N,

First of all let me applaud your decision to check the facts before using any of the supplements.

Second, I have not checked the links provided by Sandeep but they should be good (I can't imagine Sandeep doing a poor job at anything :D ).

Third, one has to be careful of using legal substances that have been adulterated with illegal substances.

I do have a fair amount of knowledge about supplements for athletes but wait for mugu to give you some useful tips. If mugu does not see this thread then send him a PM via Sports-India and he can tell you more about this subject.

Good luck.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

What is Mugu? Is he an athlete or Doctor?
Last edited by Sandeep on Thu May 19, 2005 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Drugs in tennis is not as serious as in Athletics. In Athletics if I am right there will be a drug test for all athletes participated after every event. In tennis, I guess it is not so. Do they test after every match? I don't think so. But anyway, it is good to be on safer side. There will not be any problem if you follow more strict measures (as followed by athletics people).

As Bsharma said, better to wait for Mugu. he knows hell lot about athletics.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

An important news on this: -
"Athletes should be reminded that despite the U.S. District Court’s decision today (4-14-2005), ephedra products remain banned substances. "
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

mugu is based in Delhi and knows more about doping in sports than any other Indian I know. He usually posts in the athletics, chess, hockey, swimming threads. mugu is the user name of a mysterious personality ( :D ) but his knowledge is immense.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Bhushan not sure if one can quote our friends in this forum (especially negatively).. if this is slanderous or something let me know and I will remove the following para (or you can remove it yourself).

I have heard different things about 'Creatine'!!! One of my friend implied that Creatine may reduce fertility... But the sales guy at local nutrition store was all praises for Creatine..

But I agree with Bhushan.. Mugu is da man!!! He is the forum expert on Supplements..

One thing before taking any supplements, also go to google and do a search on those supplements.. Internet will have lot of very valuable information and can probably help u a lot..
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

As the said the first link, WADA (World Anti Dope Association) has issued the list of prohibitives in sports. I guess it applies to tennis too. Nothign can be more valid than that. I prefer not to go to google and search extensively as it may even confuse you. Just take one official organization and go throught the list and don't use them.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

The WADA link is a good place to start but my concerns are:

1. Athletes do not always know what medicines or supplements are legal or not.

2. Several doctors and trainers do not know it also.

3. Some doctors and trainers give illegal stuff to unsuspecting athletes or to those athletes who want to take a chance.

My worry about people like Triple_N is that tsome trainers in gyms may sell him legal stuff that has been contaminated with illegal substances. I do not trust the authenticity of regular medicines that can be purchased at a pharmacy in India.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

You are right. You can always check ingredients and see if there is any illegal substance?

Aparna Popat was banned from international circuit for 3 months I guess for taking D-Cold tablet (her coach recommended her for cold!!!)
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Perhaps I have not made my point totally clear. I do not trust what is sold in sealed bottles or medicines in capsule forms in India because the contents can be adulterated or the contents of a bottle may be different from what it says. Sometimes the gym trainers sell supplements from an open container and illegal substances can be easily added to it.
Triple N

Post by Triple N »

yeah bhushan ur right...but the guy who sells our gym these supplements is a wholesale distributor for much of our town...so we've no option but to believe tht they may be unadulterated
i visited one of the many websites that you guys provided the links for and many of the official organizations seem to just go on saying that "supplements"shouldnt be taken if you want to be totally safe and that it is possible to be in top physical condition for matches without any of these supplements as the normal food we eat also provides us with the neccessary nutrients. i think this is slightly hypocritical on the part of the authorities as every elite and non elite athelete today take supplements of protein, creatine etc. to be in top class condition as sports has become a lot more aggressive and rigourous as compared to previous era's.
one of you mentioned that "creatine monohydrate" could cause infertility....well if thats the case then i wouldnt like to experience it to find out :D.....but when i went back to my trainer, he said that creatine is a substance found in a lot of natural food items (esp. non vegetarian) and that it is fully safe unlike steroids.
my regards to all,
keep postin'
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sandeep -- I thought you had this most important link in your set. Just noticed that you didn't!

Here is the link to ITF's publication on anti-doping.

http://www.itftennis.com/shared/mediali ... iginal.PDF

It's an 84 page document. Pages 38-46 list the prohibited substances as far as tennis is concerned, effective as of Jan 2005. A quick search did not find "creatine" mentioned. I don't know much about creatine to say if it is good or bad ...

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

I didn't bother to think about ITF or any other sports body, as WADA is the one who decides what the prohibited lists are. ITF and other bodies I guess get it from them. ITF, I don't think conducts drug tests, isn't it WADA who does it. So I thought that must be the safest out of all. But, I should have included ITF's too.