The Query Center !

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

brightsideup

The Query Center !

Post by brightsideup »

hello everyone,
As all of you may have guessed by the SUBJECT of this post, this is indeed the Query center. why a query center...because in my humble and slightly uneducated opinion, there might be many people browsing through this terrific site who might have a lot of unanswered questions about this game in our country.
going by some of the recent posts and also the wealth of knowledgeable members we have here with us, this could serve as the ideal place for people to ask any kinds of questions about the game that the members might be able to help out with.

To just set things rolling,
My query is : In a proffessional tennis match, how many balls in total are used, right from the first game till the last ?
(psst...i've heard there is a specific number for a best of 3 & best of 5 set match)
bring in the answers, everyone
brightsideup :)
insideout
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

The Query Center !

Post by insideout »

i think they use abt 10-15 balls........but i really dunno.....I think my question in this tread will also be
In a proffessional tennis match, how many balls in total are used, right from the first game till the last ? :mrgreen:
S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

The Query Center !

Post by S_K_S »

This should be in the general discussion thread
insideout
Authors
Authors

The Query Center !

Post by insideout »

Yeah!! I forgot it :oof: Dhruv can you shift this thread to general tennis dicussion??
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

The Query Center !

Post by jayakris »

I am not sure if this is the way we want a query thread. As we think about it, I have moved the thread to the General tennis discussion forum.

Jay
Nate

The Query Center !

Post by Nate »

In grandslams and I am just taking a guess to stretch it to ATP matches as well, new balls are introduced every 7 games played. How many are introduced each time? I think it may be 12 to 15 because that seems to be plenty to have enough balls with the players and ball-boys. Almost all ATP tournaments have Penn or Wilson (US Open) as sponsors so I think they don't have to worry about the cost of those.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

The Query Center !

Post by jayakris »

Here is the relevant section of the ATP rule book 2005 (page 52)

5.03 BALLS
Tennis balls used at ATP and Challenger Series Tournaments must be approved by the ATP
a minimum of ninety (90) days prior to the start of the Tournament.
A. Changes and Number. Ball changes and the number of balls used per match shall be the
same for all main draw matches throughout the Tournament unless authorized by the
Supervisor. In case of a suspended or postponed match, the match balls shall not be used
in the warm-up, they shall only be used when play resumes. Each ATP Tournament must
provide approved tennis balls in accordance to the following:
1) ATP Tournaments: Six (6) balls for each main draw and qualifying match to be
changed after seven (7) and nine (9) games throughout the Tournament.
2) Challenger Series Tournaments: At least four (4) balls are to be provided for each
main draw and qualifying match to be changed at least every seven (7) and nine (9)
games as determined by the Tournament.
B. Lost Balls. Play must be continuous even if a ball needs to be replaced.
1) ATP Tournaments: If a ball is lost or becomes unplayable, then another shall be added
as soon as it is reasonably possible. During the warm-up or within two (2)
games (before first point is begun in the third game or if the first point has to be
replayed for any reason) after a change of ball, a new ball shall be used as a replacement;
otherwise a ball of like wear shall be supplied.
2) Challenger Series Tournaments: If a ball is lost or becomes unplayable and there are
less than three (3) balls remaining, then another ball must be added immediately for
use in play. During the warm-up or within two (2) games (before first point is begun
in the third game or if the first point has to be replayed for any reason) after a change
of balls, a new ball shall be used as a replacement; otherwise a ball of like wear shall
be supplied.
C. Practice Balls
1) ATP Tournaments: Each main draw player is entitled to six (6) new balls per day for
practice, free of charge, one (1) day prior to the start of qualifying until that player is
eliminated. Once eliminated, he shall be entitled to three (3) new balls per day for
practice. Players must return practice balls.
2) ATP/Challenger Qualifying Competition: Players listed in the INDESIT ATP Entry
Ranking (Singles) or ATP Doubles Entry Ranking who are practicing for qualifying
competition are entitled to three (3) new balls for practice, free of charge, one (1) day
prior to the start of the qualifying competition until that player is eliminated. Players
must return practice balls.
3) Challenger Series Tournaments: Each main draw player is entitled to three (3) new
balls per day for practice, free of charge, one (1) day prior to the start of qualifying
until that player is eliminated. Once eliminated, he shall be entitled to three (3) used
balls per day for practice. Players must return practice balls.
-----------------

Jay
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

The Query Center !

Post by jayakris »

The ITF does not really have that strict a rule, as they conduct events as small as a $5K or $6.25 satellite ..

----------------------------------------------------
The event organisers must announce in advance of the event:
a. The number of balls for play (2, 3, 4 or 6).
b. The ball change policy, if any.
Ball changes, if any, can be made either:
i. After an agreed odd number of games, in which case, the first ball change in
the match shall take place two games earlier than for the rest of the match, to
make allowance for the warm-up. A tie-break game counts as one game for
the ball change. A ball change shall not take place at the beginning of a tiebreak
game. In this case, the ball change shall be delayed until the beginning
of the second game of the next set; or
ii. At the beginning of a set
------------------------------------

That is about all there is for ITF's rule on the # of balls, I believe.

Jay
sramu

The Query Center !

Post by sramu »

In my opinion, the ball rules are not strictly followed ( even announced) in ITF events. It is probably left to the organisers.
sramu

The Query Center !

Post by sramu »

As far as Indian pros are concerned, they restring only when the strings are broken or about to break. This is basically because they have to pay for the stringing and many of them for the strings too. Stringing costs anywhere upwards of Rs. 100/= depending on the place. In fact, the stringing prices go up during the week of tournament.
But as far as the ATP tour pros are concerned, it depends on the player. Some of them change the racquets when the new balls are taken.
jeet_manyu

The Query Center !

Post by jeet_manyu »

hi everyone, how are all of you doing?...
how do i participate in this octobers DSCL open(mens division), i wont be participating in ny juniors untill then either. please guide me thru the entire process...
my regards
jeet
brightsideup

The Query Center !

Post by brightsideup »

jeetu...i think jay will be of help on this...
brightsideup

The Query Center !

Post by brightsideup »

hello there,
another little query popped into my mind while i was going thru an article on athens gold winner nicholas massu of chile

HOW IS THE DRAW FOR THE OLYMPICS PICKED...HOW???
BECOZ AS I OBSERVED, THERE WERE 4 AMERICANS,4RUSSIANS, 4 GERMANS..... IN THE FIRST ROUND WHILE 0 INDIANS. WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT, IS THE DRAW SELECTED LIKE IN THE GRANDSLAMS BASED ON YOUR ENTRY RANKING??? IF SO, THEN WHAT IS THE CUT-OFF FOR MAIN DRAW(IS THERE A QUALIFYING DRAW TOO?).....
ANSWERS ANYONE??
S_K_S

Re: The Query Center !

Post by S_K_S »

How many times has a qualifier won a challenger event and who was the last player to do so?