WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

S_K_S
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

Post by S_K_S »

Final set of Stephens vs Williams was one of the best sets of tennis ever.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

sanjay5goel wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:13 pm maybe we should just do away with other tournaments and only keep the slams - the slams are the only ones that matter anyway - right?

Hare Krishna!
You are absolutely spot on Sanjay. However much we tweak the points, if we do not have a points system that offers an order of magnitude more points for the slams, we will always have the player who has a higher ranking by playing well year in and year out but not doing well at the slams. What we want with our ranking system is up for debate.

One option may be to have an equitable ranking system but a different formula for the seeding at the slams. Increasingly, I think the seedings at the majors should be decoupled from the ATP ranking. I used to think otherwise before.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

S_K_S wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:22 am Final set of Stephens vs Williams was one of the best sets of tennis ever.
Yes Samarth, terrific tennis by both players ... Really loved Stephens 'never die attitude' in the later stage of the match.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I am generally disinterested in women's tennis, but by chance I have caught much of Madison Keys' last two matches. I am impressed. I haven't watched Stephens, but I think Keys will be a tough out in the final.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Prashant wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:27 pm I am generally disinterested in women's tennis
Strange but your loss
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Agree. It is high quality tennis.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Anyone else watching the tour finals in Singapore? Have watched some top matches and the standard is fantastic. Williams and Ostapenko have just played out a 3 hour classic. Tennis at its best.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Not watching much this year, although I am now in Singapore (got back here yesterday), but rather busy.
Karoline Pliskova seems to have hit a ridiculous vein of form. She decimated Venus yesterday and Muguruza today. I don't find her game particularly worth watching...
Ostapenka has all but been eliminated after the epic match against Venus which she lost today.
Halep also seems to enjoy playing in Singapore.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

PKBasu wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:28 pm Not watching much this year, although I am now in Singapore (got back here yesterday), but rather busy.
Karoline Pliskova seems to have hit a ridiculous vein of form. She decimated Venus yesterday and Muguruza today. I don't find her game particularly worth watching...
Ostapenka has all but been eliminated after the epic match against Venus which she lost today.
Halep also seems to enjoy playing in Singapore.
I heard the commentators say that if Pliskova beat Muguruza then Ostapenko would be out. Navratilova was saying that it will be a Halep vs Pliskova final.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Ostapenko is out, having lost the first two matches. Pliskova is through to the SF, and the other SF slot will be determined by whoever wins the Venus-Muguruza match.

The other group is still wide open, since each player has only played one opponent so far.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Wozniacki thrashed Halep today 60 62. She had also beaten Svitolina 62 60. Lots of lop-sided results in Singapore this year.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Carolina Garcia wins a 3-setter to knock out Svitolina. Garcia has had a terrific time in Asia (especially China) in recent weeks, but she was obviously nervous in her first match here against Halep.
Garcia vs Wozniacki should be a barnburner.
S_K_S

Post by S_K_S »

Venus beats Muguruza to make it to the semis. Williams fought for it and wanted it more than Muguruza who played a better 2nd set.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Excellent, aggressive play by Venus to avenge the loss in the Wimbledon final, when she suddenly melted away after around 4-2 in the first set.

She was in trouble when she served two DFs to concede the break in the seventh game of the second set. But her brilliant aggression in the next game enabled her to break right back, and she was equally aggressive in the final game to break Muguruza again and finish it 75 64.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Venus has beaten (and hence knocked out) both the Wimbledon and French Open champions here.