WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: WTA Tour/Non-India Fed Cup

Post by prasen9 »

Going by rankings, the semis would be: Gauff-Kenin, and Rybakina-Badosa. But, Kenin has to win against Swiatek, assuming both win to get to the quarters. That winner maybe will be the favorite to win it all.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kenin long gone, but Gauff-Swiatek is still looking very likely -- and will be a humdinger (the real final). Swiatek has been a very impressive FO holder, and is also in the doubles SF (partnering Mattek-Sands, who will be Sania's partner in the grass season to come).

The other SF is set: Pavlyuchenkova vs Zidansek :-)
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The other one is Krejcikova-Sakkari!

Whoever bet on these semi-finals must be a millionaire by now. Sakkari is the rankings-favorite now. But, as we saw, that perhaps means nothing for women's tennis on clay.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Naomi Osaska has withdrawn from Wimbledon. It makes sense given that all the four grand slams issued a joint statement at the French Open. Tennis may have lost a potentially great player thanks to an insensitive response from the big four.
usaindia
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by usaindia »

suresh wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 am Naomi Osaska has withdrawn from Wimbledon. It makes sense given that all the four grand slams issued a joint statement at the French Open. Tennis may have lost a potentially great player thanks to an insensitive response from the big four.
I think problem came when she announced on twitter rather than discussing with organizing team ,how she can get what she wants and also grand slams would have got what they wanted. It will be interesting if she comes back at us open or not.
suresh

Post by suresh »

usaindia wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:51 pm I think problem came when she announced on twitter rather than discussing with organizing team ,how she can get what she wants and also grand slams would have got what they wanted. It will be interesting if she comes back at us open or not.
This is a new age where means of communication are changing. An athlete no longer needs to call a press conference. So I would forgive her a little. We also do not know what exactly transpired between Osaka and the FO organisers. I wish they had not dragged other grand slams into the muck. My guess is that she won't come to the US Open if she doesn't feel confident enough to face interviews.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

suresh wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:53 am Naomi Osaska has withdrawn from Wimbledon. It makes sense given that all the four grand slams issued a joint statement at the French Open. Tennis may have lost a potentially great player thanks to an insensitive response from the big four.
I am surprised that you are siding against French Open here, Suresh. You generally make it a point to look at an issue from all angles before forming an opinion.

French Open and GSs had detailed their version in all the major mediums (https://www.rolandgarros.com/en-us/arti ... aomi-osaka) - What do you think they should have done more than the above? I thought they did a solid job but am curious on why you think the above steps were insufficient.
suresh

Post by suresh »

I think it was totally unnecessary for all grand slams to take a simultaneous stand. I would have let the FO drama play out before forcing the issue. I suspect that FO and other grand slams assumed that she was being a prima donna (there might be some truth to that) and underestimated the mental issues that Osaka was handling. There is a small chance that we may have seen the last of Osaka the tennis player after the Olympics.
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

suresh wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:56 pm I think it was totally unnecessary for all grand slams to take a simultaneous stand. I would have let the FO drama play out before forcing the issue. I suspect that FO and other grand slams assumed that she was being a prima donna (there might be some truth to that) and underestimated the mental issues that Osaka was handling. There is a small chance that we may have seen the last of Osaka the tennis player after the Olympics.
But that would be going against the ITF Grand Slam rulebook right, Suresh? As per the rules, she has to be banned from all the Grand Slams after the 3rd or 4th round - How do you propose that French Open implement that rule without keeping the other grand slams in the loop?
Roland-Garros teams asked her to reconsider her position and tried unsuccessfully to speak with her to check on her well-being, understand the specifics of her issue and what might be done to address it on site.

Following the lack of engagement by Naomi Osaka, the Australian Open, Roland-Garros, Wimbledon and the US Open jointly wrote to her to check on her well-being and offer support, underline their commitment to all athletes’ well-being and suggest dialog on the issues.

Additionally for all the other players who were rejected for these requests in the past - what would the action here? Do we tell them that people in pole positions can have their say and not go through the expected route of bringing about a policy change.

Just to keep things in perspective - would you be as supportive if a Modi or a Kohli choose unilaterally to break a rule for a cause they care about, not bother speaking to opposition or others and even choose to not speak to media - would you be still be supportive of them leaving aside our personal biases?
We (Grand Slams) want to underline that rules are in place to ensure all players are treated exactly the same, no matter their stature, beliefs or achievement. As a sport there is nothing more important than ensuring no player has an unfair advantage over another, which unfortunately is the case in this situation if one player refuses to dedicate time to participate in media commitments while the others all honour their commitments.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

I don't know the Grand Slam tournament rules well. Hence these questions.
1) If the only penalty in the contract for skipping press conferences was a fine, why couldn't the FO simply follow the rules?
2) Was their threat to suspend Osaka a rule that they made up on the fly outside of the contract just for Osaka because they felt that the existing rule wasn't strong enough to make her fulfill her contractual obligations to attend post match pressers?
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Absolutely the right decision by the slams. Naomi tried to be bigger than the game and her ploy backfired. I too am surprised at Suresh’s views on this.

Edit: JIC, the rules were very clear and it is also about setting precedents, being unfair to others, and many other things. Just equate it to workplace, and if you could allow a superstar on your team to skip a customer meeting that s/he were to lead just because they get nervous facing customers. What would you do?
VReddy

Post by VReddy »

Jai: As I said above, so you are ok with rich people having the privilege to skip and just ignore any outreach from tourney?
Then I think we should be similarly supportive of people in power breaking the rules. They can afford to pay the fines. The lower ranked player may not have the prize money earnings and so they have to be there even if they have mental health issues.

Thankfully Grand Slam rule book does not discriminate and excerpts below which are accessible via Google search
H. MEDIA CONFERENCE
Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must attend the post-match media conference(s) organised immediately or within thirty (30) minutes after the conclusion of each match, including walkovers, whether the player or team was the winner or loser, unless such time is extended or otherwise modified by the Referee for good cause. Violation of this Section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000.
AGGRAVATED BEHAVIOUR
No player or Related Person at any Grand Slam Tournament shall engage in “Aggravated Behaviour” which is defined as follows:
1. One or more incidents of behaviour designated in this Code as constituting “Aggravated Behaviour”.
2. One incident of behaviour that is flagrant and particularly injurious to the success of a Grand Slam Tournament, or is singularly egregious.
3. A series of two (2) or more violations of this Code within a twelve (12) month period which singularly do not constitute “Aggravated Behaviour”, but when viewed together establish a pattern of conduct that is collectively egregious and is detrimental or injurious to the Grand Slam Tournaments.
Violation of this Section by a player, directly or indirectly through a Related Person or others, shall subject a player to a fine of up to $250,000 or the amount of prize money won at the tournament, whichever is greater, and a maximum penalty of permanent suspension from play in all Grand Slam Tournaments.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Atithee, I get the whole prima donna thing. And it appears immature, arrogant and unprofessional for Osaka to announce her decision on Twitter. Even in this day and age the best approach to solving important matters is to talk not type. Then again I don't know if that had already happened before Osaka put out her Tweet.

But my question is one of rules in the contract. No doubt Osaka was breaking the contract clause. And she was willing to pay the penalty for it. My question is did the FO and the other Grand Slams make up a new penalty that was not in the contract to deal with this issue because they felt that the fine wasn't going to be enough to get Osska to comply? If so, then they made a mistake.

Edit: @vreddy. You answered my question. The tournaments did not make a contractual mistake.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

Only knowing what I have seen, read and heard in the media; I think Osaka was in the wrong. The tournaments were right to throw the book at her. Otherwise it would not have been fair to the other players and it would have set a bad precedent. Problem is that in this hyper sensitive world where everyone has a social media voice this was bound to create a headache for the tournaments. Whoever is advising Osaka is not doing a good job. I can't imagine Nadal, Federer or Djokovic pulling something like that. Mayne Kyrgios.
jai_in_canada

Post by jai_in_canada »

VReddy wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:55 pm
H. MEDIA CONFERENCE
Unless injured and physically unable to appear, a player or team must attend the post-match media conference(s) organised immediately or within thirty (30) minutes after the conclusion of each match, including walkovers, whether the player or team was the winner or loser, unless such time is extended or otherwise modified by the Referee for good cause. Violation of this Section shall subject a player to a fine up to $20,000.
Will the tournaments modify this clause to include mental health now that that is a big buzzword with the latest generation?
If so how would they be able to verify?

What's the saying? Get woke, go broke?