Turn pro at 18 yrs or go to US college on tennis scholarship

General Discussion on Indian Tennis - Forums for TennisIndia.org

Moderator: Moderators

Atithee

Re: Turn pro at 18 yrs or go to US college on tennis scholarship

Post by Atithee »

Sin Hombre wrote:In all honesty, a monetarily profitable tennis professional career is already beyond him.
SH -- FYI; this guy plays squash not tennis. He may be world class and his best years may indeed be ahead of him.
Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Prashant »

I don't know too much about Alex Solanki, and I wish him nothing but the best. But, why would anyone donate money based on that website? There are zero plans and zero details. What will he do with the money? Hire a coach? A physio? Buy equipment? Pay for travel? How much would each of those cost?

Right now, he says it costs Rs 33,000 per month for shoes & "glutting" (which I assume means getting rackets strung?). OK, so for 12 months, that implies Rs 4 lakhs just for that. But, ostensibly this campaign is to spend "next year tennis training and tournaments" in Europe, and is raising a total of 5 lakhs. The math doesn't even begin to add up.

I am skeptical of crowd funding in general for such endeavors, but more so when there are zero useful details on the campaign.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Atithee wrote:
Sin Hombre wrote:In all honesty, a monetarily profitable tennis professional career is already beyond him.
SH -- FYI; this guy plays squash not tennis. He may be world class and his best years may indeed be ahead of him.
I was talking about Solanki there.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

SH -- Ok. Sorry for not reading your msg correctly.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Alex Solanki had shown good promise while playing for Indian under 14/under 16 teams in the junior team tournaments. But, he could not carry that forward to ITF juniors where his best ranking has been only 180. For someone like him, I think the best course would be to find a decent US college where he can join and try to improve his game in the 3-4 year period. If he has talent, he still can get back to pros and have a decent run like Saketh had.
VReddy
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by VReddy »

Prashant wrote: I am skeptical of crowd funding in general for such endeavors, but more so when there are zero useful details on the campaign.
In Switzerland, noticed few campaigns but they focus on specific aspects (say to participate in Orange Bowl, to fund the Clay Court swing with a coach ). I agree though without specific detail, these campaigns look amateurish. However - I am not sure if the target audience is people like us.

Some examples from Switzerland below

1. Leonie Küng: 16-yr old. Ranked ~750 in pros. Hasn't played much of ITF Pro events. Has been competitive against top-200 pro players in the couple of matches that I had seen live. So somewhere similar to Karman or higher I guess. Had done a fund raiser in the past to play in the Orange Bowl: http://www.ibelieveinyou.ch/ibiy/src/#! ... in-den-usa
2. Conny Perry: Top-200 and did a small fundraiser to fund her coaching staff during the french open leg. http://www.ibelieveinyou.ch/ibiy/src/#! ... and-garros