India is hosting first F1 grand prix on October 30, 2011

A forum set up to discuss Motosports and the potential future of Indian drivers in the big leagues

Moderator: Moderators

kallu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: possibility of India in f1 from 2010

Post by kallu »

if 2009 is the target, then much easier to modify the streets rather than building an entire circuit
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I m doubtful for this road race in Delhi ... Government would not allow race on Rajpath and also security problem.
DNA article wrote: However, there are serious considerations, which Mallya will have to over come. The primary once being, Delhi’s bureaucracy with multiple hierarchy’s of governments involved and the safety consideration of having a street race.

Mallya is optimistic, but for all one knows he may well just be raising the F1 kite all over to reel in some free publicity for his association with team Toyota. After all, Indian driver Narain Kartikeyan would be just as persuasive for a meeting with Dixit as Ralf Schumacher.  Mallya, after all, is rumoured to have spent Rs 45 crore for his association with the Toyota F1 team.
Indian F1 bogey all over again - Sukhwant Basra

Jaydeep.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

And now as per report, WE R HOSTING F1 RACE IN 2009.

But they r still not ready with venue ...  :roll: As of now Delhi is leading with Road Race ... But I m not sure how IOA enter into picture with final contract with Formula One Administration (FOA).
The race, officially termed 'Formula 1 Grand Prix of India', is to be promoted by the Indian Olympic Association, subject to the IOA entering into a final contract with Formula One Administration (FOA) by September 30 this year.
India awarded F1 race for 2009

I m still doubtful for this whole scene ... ;)

Jaydeep.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Of course, Delhi is the only possible venue for anything -- F1/Asiad/Olympics. It is impossible to find any other venue in a tiny(when viewed with the right glasses) country called India.
piranha

Post by piranha »

India has been made a conditional offer to stage a Formula One Grand Prix in 2009....

Not yet 100% sure, but it's true, unbelievable !  woohoo
kallu

Post by kallu »

woohoo

it sounds official .....so there will be a race in 2009..if there are no hiccups ! :D
suresh

Post by suresh »

I think we have to raise around 500-1000 crores to satisfy F1. There is a plan for a brand new track in Delhi -- I wonder if they can get it ready in 2 years. Remember this is India and things like to go at their own pace :-) I am not sure if India will have an F1 race in 2009.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I m also still not convinced ... In past also Mr. Suresh Kalmadi (IOA) hyped many things which never happened, so I wish this isn't one of such thing.

Considering our bureaucratic delay and land acquisition for race track (hundreds of acres near city), I m doubtful for 2009 race ... If things started to move now then we r having realistic chance of hosting F1 race in 2011.

Jaydeep.
usaindian

Post by usaindian »

lets have a positive thought about the race,but i dont see any way this race helps indian sports
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Agree, but I m only giving realistic picture rather than false hope giving by politician ... :)

Jaydeep.
vijay-krishnan

Post by vijay-krishnan »

yeah...realistically speaking i think infrastructure wise, if we work on it from now the earliest we'll be ready is 2010....i think the corporates realy need to step up and its good to see people like Dr. Vijay Mallya and Vicky Chandok stepping in with their contacts to Mr. Ecclestone....hopefully Suresh Kalmadi is serious about it and its not just a gimmick to promote the Asian games....only time will tell... :notworthy:
piranha

Post by piranha »

usaindian wrote: lets have a positive thought about the race,but i dont see any way this race helps indian sports
A mamouth event such as Formula 1 (for any country) brings a professional approach to sports in general. One can learn a lot about sports management by simply being in touch with F1 and its backstage games. Formula 1 is not just a sport, it's a corporate sport.

Not to mention that the race itself brings international publicity to the country. If India would be capable of creating the environment (mainly the racetrack and infrastructure) for Formula 1, I think managers from other sports would set higher standards and goals for themselves.
suresh

Post by suresh »

More news -- looks like the initial review from Formula 1 is a favourable one.

India to host 2010 F1 Grand Prix

No prizes for guessing the venue.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Glad to hear of the good news.  Well and good, but am I the only one with a problem that IOA guys like Kalmadi are spending all this time on motor racing which is not an Olympic sports? .. Talk about distraction from what he is supposed to be doing (which he certainly has not seemed to be doing well, except in continuing his fight with the sports minister whose plans make more sense, at least to me)!

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

This was on the cards the moment Mallaya decided to buy an F1 team.

Jay, IOA had hardly put any effort for this to happen. So, where from spending time come into picture? Ecclestone always wanted a race in India and the discussion of an F1 race in India has been going on for atleast 5 years now! First it was Naidu who was keen on hosting a race and now it is Mallaya.