India is hosting first F1 grand prix on October 30, 2011

A forum set up to discuss Motosports and the potential future of Indian drivers in the big leagues

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: possibility of India in f1 from 2010

Post by jayakris »

I know that.  I was complaining about Kalmadi being distracted fromthe things he is supposed to do for IOA.  He seems to have all the time in the world to be doing this F1 business, organizing letters from IOC to interfere in Indian sports' minister's business etc.  Meanwhile, we have athletes attempting suicide ... Anyway, he should stop having big IOA signs behind him in hispress conferences on F1.  The newspapers should also report that this has nothing to do with IOA and that he is doing it out of whatever personal interest he has.

Jay
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Kalmadi is a shame!!! Seriously, I don't think he can name even a single achievement in his term. I don't want to hear our improving medals tally and all (in his term), players should solely be credited for this achievement. I am not really worried about him wasting time, I don't think he would have invested his time any better even if he didn't involve in discussions with Ecclestone! But yeah, we should all appreciate his relentless efforts to bring Olympics to India  :damn:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

I m also controling my excitement until paper get signed ... Mr. Kalmadi is known for false promises and frankly I m worrying when he is taking so much interest in F1 race.

Jaydeep.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Well it is official now that India will be hosting its first race in 2010.

* The race will be hosted either in greater Noida in UP or Sohna in Haryana, both of which are suburbs of New Delhi

* Formula one handed India two contracts, a race promotion contract and a circuit rights agreement

* The race could be either in March or after Bahrain GP

* The contract is valid for 10 years

It would be a daunting task for Kalmadi to raise funds to lay the track and more importantly maintain it. Where is he going to get the funds for race promotion expenses? Is this a setback for other sports (except probably cricket and tennis), now that more funds allocated by central government has to be spent on F1 racing? With countries like England trying to scrap their F1 racing status siting profitability as a major concern, how intelligent is it on part of India to host an F1 race?
Last edited by Sandeep on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ball start rolling for Formula1 race in India ... Accordingly IOA  President Suresh Kalmadi, next week two German architects will visit New Delhi to prepare a master plan for Formula1 track .. But funny part is still venue for the race was not finalised ... :kookoo:

'German architects to prepare masterplan for India's F1 track'
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone had signed a 10-year contract (Rs 1500 crore deal) with JK Associates to build the F1 race track in Greater Noida.
piranha

Post by piranha »

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

I was just going through the discussion we had about India hosting an F1 race three years back. Looks like we have progressed much faster than what I thought then. 2010 was the target, one year delay is not very bad. Hosting an F1 race will be another milestone in Indian sports history and will highlight India's growing power in the world. I am very happy to have a circuit in India :goodluck:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: India is hosting first F1 grand prix on October 30, 2011

Post by jaydeep »

Jaypee Sports International has announced that the circuit will be called Buddh International Circuit ... They also unveiled the logo for the circuit.

Indian F1 GP track named Buddh International Circuit
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

What a weird name! Why not call it the Buddha circuit? Why "Buddh"? First of all, Indians should know that "dh" is not a pair of letters that the English speakers of the world know how to pronounce. There is no English word where "dh" is pronounced anywhere near the way Indians want it to be pronouncd. But, I don't blame the Jaypee guys for this one, because that mistake was already done by whoever started writing "Buddha" long back - amd most English speakers still say it as "boo-dah". Now comes an even worse word that nobody can pronounce. This circuit will be called the "Butt circuit" :)

I like the fact that something/somebody in India is taking "ownership" of the great Buddha for a change (is there anything significant in India that we have called after the Great Buddha?) .... but a racing circuit is not what I would have looked for. What has Buddha got to do with racing? I mean a Buddhist sitting and meditating is not something that goes with formula racing, except for the "Vroooom" being close to the primordial "Om" :)

From an Apr 9 article in the Economic Times,
"It is from the word Buddha to mean peace and calmness," the Star quoted Sameer Gaur, Managing Director and Chief Executive of Jaypee Sports International, as saying. It is also not about one person, but an entire region working with one another," he added.
Okkkkay... As in "whatever, dude!" ...Of course, none of what this Sameer Gaur says makes any sense!

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

jayakris wrote:I like the fact that something/somebody in India is taking "ownership" of the great Buddha for a change (is there anything significant in India that we have called after the Great Buddha?) .... but a racing circuit is not what I would have looked for. What has Buddha got to do with racing? I mean a Buddhist sitting and meditating is not something that goes with formula racing, except for the "Vroooom" being close to the primordial "Om" :)
Ha ha ha ha I'm just laughing ... No more comments ... :D
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Where ahave all the racing fans gone? None left here? We are about to get going at Noida in Delhi.
All eyes on India as F1 takes a pit stop in the country (The HIndu)

Meanwhile PT Usha seems to be the only Indian who is attacking the thing -
Hosting F1 race is a criminal waste: P T Usha (The Hindu)

I don't know whether to agree with the lady. I agree with some of what she says, but at the same time, this is like any provae company that deciedes to take up something less-than-ideal for the country (like say that pointless game cricket) - if people are there with interest in it, then what can you do?

I am still not happy with the name "Buddh"....

Jay
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Race track is looking very dusty but overall very good infrastructure and world-class facilities ... Congrats to Jaypee group for building this excellent facility.

Sahara is investing $100 millions in Force India F1 team ... So from this race this team will be known as Sahara Force India F1.

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel will start Sunday's Indian race from pole ... Vettel's best of 1m 24.178s was three-tenths quicker than McLaren's Lewis Hamilton, who qualified in second but will drop to fifth thanks to his Friday penalty.

Mark Webber who was third will thus take second on the grid, ahead of Ferrari's Fernando Alonso and McLaren's Jenson Button ... Felipe Massa, who crashed on his last lap, will start sixth ... Sahara Force India driver Adrian Sutil will start from eighth ... Only Indian driver Narain Karthikeyan qualified on 22nd in HRT-Cosworth.

2011 FORMULA 1 AIRTEL GRAND PRIX OF INDIA
Q3
1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:26.218
2 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1:26.563
3 Mark Webber RBR-Renault 1:26.473
4 Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1:26.774
5 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1:26.225
6 Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:27.012
7 Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1:26.364
8 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes 1:26.271
9 Sebastien Buemi STR-Ferrari 1:26.608
10 Jaime Alguersuari STR-Ferrari 1:26.557
Q2
11 10 Vitaly Petrov Renault 1:26.189
12 7 Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:26.790
13 15 Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1:26.864
14 12 Pastor Maldonado Williams-Cosworth 1:26.829
15 9 Bruno Senna Renault 1:26.766 6
16 11 Rubens Barrichello Williams-Cosworth 1:27.479
Q1
17 17 Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1:27.249
18 16 Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1:27.876
19 20 Heikki Kovalainen Lotus-Renault 1:28.565
20 21 Jarno Trulli Lotus-Renault 1:28.752
21 23 Daniel Ricciardo HRT-Cosworth 1:30.216
22 22 Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1:30.238
23 25 Jerome d'Ambrosio Virgin-Cosworth 1:30.866
DNQ 24 Timo Glock Virgin-Cosworth 1:34.046

Drivers r happy on racetrack and facility ..............
Friday analysis - Buddh International proves a big hit
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

As per report Narain Karthikeyan also received 5 places grid penalty for overtaking Schumacher ... So he will start from the last place.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Sebastian Vettel led from start to finish to became the first winner of the Grand Prix of India in New Delhi on Sunday ... McLaren's Jenson Button took second, 8.4 seconds behind and consolidating his P2 in the standings ... Ferrari's Fernando Alonso completed the podium line-up at the Buddh International Circuit.

On the first turn Kobayashi was retired due to collision with Glock ... There were total five retirements in the race including Ferrari's Massa ... Sahara Force India's Adrian Sutil finished on 9th position and earned points for the team in this first Indian Grand Prix ... Narain Karthikeyan started from last position but finished the race on 17th position, ahead of his teammate Daniel Ricciardo and Lotus-Renault's Jarno Trulli.

Overall excellent the first Indian Grand Prix.

At 2011 Formula 1 Airtel Grand Prix of India, Noida, New Delhi - Final Results

1 Sebastian Vettel RBR-Renault 1:30:35.002
2 Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes +8.4 secs
3 Fernando Alonso Ferrari +24.3 secs
4 Mark Webber RBR-Renault +25.5 secs
5 Michael Schumacher Mercedes +65.4 secs
6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes +66.8 secs
7 Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes +84.1 secs
8 Jaime Alguersuari STR-Ferrari +1 Lap
9 Adrian Sutil Force India-Mercedes +1 Lap
10 Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari +1 Lap
11 Vitaly Petrov Renault +1 Lap