India is hosting first F1 grand prix on October 30, 2011

A forum set up to discuss Motosports and the potential future of Indian drivers in the big leagues

Moderator: Moderators

vkd_1717
Please enter the middle number: 1

India is hosting first F1 grand prix on October 30, 2011

Post by vkd_1717 »

bernie has recently announced that india could host a formula 1 race from the year 2010  woohoo
Last edited by vkd_1717 on Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
kallu

Re: india in f1 from 2010

Post by kallu »

its bound to happen...just the matter of time  :D
any idea where in india ?
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

i think its going to be on the outskirts of mumbai because bernie had always wanted it in or near mumbai

bernie said "India is a country that is probably going to grow quicker than China,
we had to make sure we found the right place in India and we have."

Vicky Chandhoks response was : "We are looking to finalise details in the next few weeks, we are working overtime to make it happen and would rather make a formal announcement when we are 100 per cent sure."

fingers crossed we will hear the official announcement soon
piranha

Post by piranha »

It's more like 'Bernie Ecclestone has plans to bring Formula 1 to India as early as 2010'. This date is not by any means a certain thing. Of course, it means it will definitely happen in the next decade, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

Actually Bernie wanted the race in 2008, if you remember the comments he made in may/june ... the negociations are ongoing and with a spot open for 2010 it looks very likely that India will get the race over Russia, who are the main competition for that slot.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Re: possibility of India in f1 from 2010

Post by jaydeep »

But still its too early to say anything on it until some state goverment allocate them land for race track or make concrete move in right direction ... I m agree with piranha that it will happen but when???  That we r not sure.

Jaydeep. 
kallu

Post by kallu »

it will take atleast 3 years to complete the track. So they have to start on the planning and design pretty much by early next year !
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

It is not that easy to have an F1 track. First and foremost they have to look for an International Airport (spacious) with excellent facilities (like all other world airports). It is sad but none of the airports at the moment in India have such a facility. The have to look for cities which have plans of a new international airport and Bangalore and Hyderabad should be the front runners. But these airports will not be ready for atleast another 3 years. F1 requires a six lane express highway directly from airport to the hotel where the drivers will be staying. Again, none of the cities have such a facility and it is closer to impossible to lay such a road in a span of 3 to 5 years. It needs a track with temperature control facility, a 7 star hotel and all. It is practically impossible for India to come up with such facilities in the span of another 3 years. 2016 should be our target for an F1 race.
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

Kallu, for the new tracks like China and Bharain, the agreement was signed 3-4 years before the race actually took place there. The track would normally not start construction until a deal is signed with the FIA; so signing the deal now would mean the track should be ready for 2010.

Sandeep, if you were the head of the FIA, F1 would have an empty calender; as per your standards (atleast) the British GrandPrix would never run. Here, the roads to the race are pathetic, when reminded me of everyday Indian roads (with more obedient drivers) ... and Sandeep the temperature control facilities that (few of the F1) tracks have right now make little to no differences in F1 events .... and i think your idea of  every F1 track needing a 7 star hotel is ludicrous. However i do agree that India needs to improve its airports to host a F1 race (or any major international event) and i understand that to host a F1 race there will be complications (like government approval and actually striking a deal that does meet Bernies standards) but Bernies enthusiasm to have a race in India has always been strong and with it looking less likely to have another European race on the F1 calender it looks more likely for India to get this slot.
vijay-krishnan

Post by vijay-krishnan »

Yeah i agree with vkd to some extent...in fact china was not given much time either and they have come up with a brilliant circuit although i know they had put in a lot of money but since materials are a lot cheaper the process would be cheaper in India. I think the major cause for concern would be the customs clearance and other Govt. regulations. The Govt. still does not understand how big an event this could be for India and what opportunities can open up for companies. I guess the one good thing is that Mr. Vicky Chandok is a good friend of Bernie and is also well reputed in India so hopefully he will be a good link to bring F1 to India. Only time will tell i guess....should be interesting....Hopefully the Indian Government opens up a bit to new horizons !!!
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Not just Vicky Chandok but Vijay Mallya too. They are both good friends of Bernie Ecclestone.
piranha

Post by piranha »

The goal has been set now for 2009:
"The government of Delhi I think really wants Formula One in India and I am optimistic that maybe we will be able to host our first race in 2009." - Vijay Mallya

http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Pag ... 88,00.html
http://www.planet-f1.com/News/Story_Pag ... 02,00.html
kallu

Post by kallu »

2009 is not far away !! :notworthy:
piranha

Post by piranha »

It will take serious government commitment to make this schedule.
piranha

Post by piranha »

Another 'India to host Formula 1' story. This time it's about a street race:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/57524