Golf World Rankings of Indians

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Prem
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Golf World Rankings of Indians

Post by Prem »

jaydeep wrote:I didn't know that Jeev ranking come down shockingly and he is on verge of finding himself outside top-100 ... He is still our #1 ranked golfer with 99th on WGR.
Playing PGA Tour is tough as Jeev's ranking indicates.
Daniel & Arjun never had good WR despite Dan winning couple of events.
Jeev was comfortable in maintaining his raking inside top 75, while playing in Europe, Japan and Asia....
Hope he finds form quick and manages some good finishes in PGA Tour soon to stay well inside top 100 :goodluck:
prashanthm
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by prashanthm »

After the tied 2nd at the Hero India Open, Anirban has jumped two spots and is back at #50...

And with the win, SSP is at a career high of #151...

:goodluck:
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

Latest rankings as of 16- September 2018

Top 5 Indian Golfers

107 Shubhankar Sharma
110 Anirban Lahiri
124 Gaganjeet Bhullar
257 Shiv Kanpur
258 Ajeetesh Sandhu

This is first time since 2014 that none of our golfers are in Top 100.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, disappointing season for the Indian men. All of our top 3 have had short spells when they have looked really good but haven't been able to play well for any length of time.
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

2018 Season ending rankings 2017 rankings in bracket

Top Ten Indians:

116 Shubhankar Sharma (202)
145 Gaganjeet Bhullar (153)
147 Anirban Lahiri (66)
235 Shiv Kapur (201)
256 Khalin Joshi (555)
269 Ajeetesh Sandhu (204)
324 Viraj Madappa (1925)
421 Rahil Gangjee (847)
503 Chikkarangappa S (670)
555 S.S.P. Chawrasia (213)
  • Viraj Madappa is the most improved player
  • SSP Chawrasia has the biggest drop in rankings
  • No Indians in top 100 for this year.
  • Anirban Lahiri is winless since 2015
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Huge change to golf ranking methodology. The value of Asian tour for world ranking will plummet. There is some controversy with even european tour winners points total dropping significantly.

https://www.golfmonthly.com/news/new-of ... kes-effect
There is some justification for the concern. For example, last year, Daniel Gavins received 24 points for his ISPS Handa World Invitational win on the DP World Tour. However, this week, the winner is projected to get just over eight. In contrast, while this week's winner of the PGA Tour's FedEx St. Jude Championship is projected to receive fewer first-place points than last year (68.5 instead of 78 in 2021) it is nowhere near as steep a drop
prajgolf

Post by prajgolf »

The biggest reason for drop in ranking points is because of removal of minimum points i.e. DP European Tour had minimum 24 points and Asian Tour had 14.

Until the system has been used for a while, it will be difficult to say how it will impact players. However, results that had previously been calculated in the old system will remain for the time being.

In future, it looks likely that tours with weaker fields will find it tougher to award as much ranking points as they had done previously. In other words, it's potentially great news for the PGA Tour... but perhaps not so much for the DP European Tour and others.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I don't know anything about golf...Is there anybody who is doing good in golf. I mean, Is there anybody in top 100 from India????
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Not right now. Anirban Lahiri is at 101, Shubhankar Sharma at #227 and Gaganjit Bhullar at #313 - if I am looking at the right ranking list. I also don't follow golf closely but Prajgolf here is the expert, who can correct me if I am wrong.

I guess it has been somewhat similar to tennis. Not too many guys in the top-300. Some 3 or 4 with top-250 quality, who have got into top-150 and all that but not much more than that. Except the golfers make a ton of more money. Way more (like 4 times or more) than the tennis players.
Prem

Post by Prem »

Rankings given by Jay are last week rankings.
This week they have moved by a place or two.
We had Anirban and Jeev in top 30 in the past.
With Anirban joining LIV Golf, he hasn’t earned any ranking points for past 4 months and hence slipping down the rankings.
He is playing this week in an Asian Tour event to get some points.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thanks Prem. That explains why I felt Anirban's ranking looked low. I thought I had seen him at around top-50 earlier, but wasn't sure.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Anirban had a sensational year in money terms, as he won over $3MM on the PGA tour (which may be his highest ever) and then went ahead and won a similar amount on the LIV tour. Also, it's quite likely he received a signing bonus as well, so he may have generational wealth at this point given the crazy money the LIV folks have been throwing around.
Prem

Post by Prem »

arjun2761 wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:27 am Anirban had a sensational year in money terms, as he won over $3MM on the PGA tour (which may be his highest ever) and then went ahead and won a similar amount on the LIV tour. Also, it's quite likely he received a signing bonus as well, so he may have generational wealth at this point given the crazy money the LIV folks have been throwing around.
Yes, he would have earned in 2022, what a a decent PGA professional will make in his career. Great year financially for Anirban. He earned over $4.2M from LIV, even though he missed the first few events!! So Anirban earned $7.3M in 2022 as prize money apart from LIV signing on bonus and any other sponsorship/rights etc.

Dustin Johnson, the individual and team winner at LIV made just under $36 Million from LIV golf alone!!! Insane money thrown by the Saudis in this new Tour. This has made PGA increase prize money of many events to $20M per event from 2023. So it’s win win for all the golf professionals.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Dustin Johnson also allegedly received $125 MM as signing bonus from LIV golf, so might be among the highest earning athletes in the world in 2022!
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

jayakris wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:49 am Thanks Prem. That explains why I felt Anirban's ranking looked low. I thought I had seen him at around top-50 earlier, but wasn't sure.
He was well outside the top 100 for many years prior. He has finally looked better this season.