A "dynamic" page for our Golf contest

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

kujo
Authors
Authors

A "dynamic" page for our Golf contest

Post by kujo »

Hi,

Alright, time to open up the wraps on a secret little project of mine! My desire is to have our weekly golf contest "automated" as much as possible. I have spent quite a bit of time designing and adding components to a final setup that will do this. It is looking good and under going some Beta testing.

It is still in works but with Atithee signing off, this is probably the right time to reveal what I have been working on over the last few weeks!! :)

Some of you are already aware of a new MSN group: http://www.msnusers.com/SportsIndiaGolfContest/

Please go to the above page and ask the moderator to add you as the member. Once you become a member, follow the "Instructions" message posted on 05-14-07 by "jaika".

The page to visit is: http://www.msnusers.com/SportsIndiaGolf ... esults.htm

There are a number of draw backs; some are under my control and some are beyond my control:
1. Hosting this page on a external site (MSN is not very reliable).
2. You need a hotmail account in order to become a member of this MSN group.
3. Having to add the golfer names every week and run my computer to generate a dynamic page every 3 minutes or so.

Please let me know your feedback on this thread. We will test this page for the upcoming golf tournament and see how it goes.  I have asked Dhruv for permissions to host this page on Sports-India server and to do away with all the MSN issues!

Of course, we need to wait till thursday before you can see anything happening on that page. But, I urge you to become a member of the group and atleast verify that you are able to see that page...  :)

cheers
-kujo
Atithee

Re: A "dynamic" page for our Golf contest

Post by Atithee »

This is exactly what I have been hoping to do but don't have 100% of the skills to do.  So a big thumbs up to Kujo.  I'm sure it'll work great.
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

kujoku wrote: Hi,

Alright, time to open up the wraps on a secret little project of mine! My desire is to have our weekly golf contest "automated" as much as possible. I have spent quite a bit of time designing and adding components to a final setup that will do this. It is looking good and under going some Beta testing.

cheers
-kujo
Done.  I had to revive an old hotmail acccount.  :D
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Excellent job Kujo! I'm waiting to see this page but strangely I can't view this page. I've already registered and I'm a member of the group, infact I'm assitant manager for the group, but still when I go to the site and try to access the documents page, it tells me that
This is a members-only area 
You need to be a member of this group in order to gain access to this area.
Interested in Joining This Group?
Becoming a member will allow you to participate in all areas of this group. The group manager is now accepting membership applications. 

Apply To Join  

But I can't join again as I'm already a member. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

ajay wrote: But I can't join again as I'm already a member. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem.
Ajay,

It appears to me that King Kujo has fired you from the job of Assistant Manager.  :wink:  Did you make fresh coffee for the Boss?  :D  I guess not.  King Kujo is not even accepting my application because I get the same message as you did.  :damn:  May be, I need to suck up to the King! 
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Ajay,

So far, Atithee seems to be the only person who was able to view that page! 
I don't have any idea why MSN groups is not working for you. I have cancelled your membership in order kick start this again. Let us try one more time?! Please try to join the group again....

Doc,

You are now a member of the group. Let me know whether you are able to view that page?

Sorry guys, I can't even send any invites from MSN groups since it says (for the last 6 days!):
Unable to complete 

The service is currently undergoing maintenance and certain areas are temporarily unavailable. Please try again later. 

Thanks
-kujo
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

kujoku wrote: I have cancelled your membership in order kick start this again. Let us try one more time?! Please try to join the group again....
Well, I could not rejoin with my old hotmail email address. So I joined with a third person's email. Unfortunately, same problem as it still fails to recognize me.  :damn:
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Now I m waiting for King Kujo's permission to enter in his kingdom .. I hope he is forgiving of my past deeds ...  :wink:

Jaydeep.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

OK, I'm now able to access the group page. The "Big Boss" has given me the blessings and I'm now back as Assistant Manager. (Shh!! Its a secret how I bribed him)

Jaydeep, you should be able to enter the kingdom if nothing weird stuff happens.

Bhushan, could see the document page?
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

ajay wrote:
Bhushan, could you see the document page?
Yes.  woohoo

I saw the results of the Players Championship golf contest posted on it. 
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Welcome to the club Doc. Good to see that you are able to view the pages.

Thanks Ajay, for sharing the responsibility! Yeah, I was wondering too, what did you bribe me with?! ;)

cheers,
-kujo
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Great work Kujo. That was awesome!!! Looks good
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Hurray, I m also able to see 'THE PAGE' ... Thanks to the King and his deserving right-hand man ... ;)

Jaydeep.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Dhruv the dungeon (web) master has setup a FTP service for me to publish the golf-contest page within the Sports-India server.

What does this mean? It means we don't need no MSN groups anymore!! None of the reliability / accessibility issues that come with MSN groups... :D

I am working on setting up our results page, it will be ready soon....

cheers
-kujo
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Done.

For the final day of this incredibly boring AT&T classic (what with the low points score and absence of Doc); I would like to unveil a new Results page for our weekly golf contest!

http://golfcontest.sports-india.com/Results.htm

Enjoy! Please leave your feedback in this thread.

cheers
-kujo