Golf contest format

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Which format do you guys prefer

Poll runs till Sat Jul 09, 2044 9:23 am

Money format
14%
Atithee's point format
86%

Total votes: 7

Atithee

Re: Golf contest format

Post by Atithee »

Atithee wrote:
BSharma wrote: Atithee,

You have done a fantastic work with the golf contest and what amazes me more is that you are continually thinking of making it better.   :D  By trying to make the golf contest more complex, you are ensuring that you and only you will be able to run in for the rest of the year and onwards.
I appreciate your nice words, Bhushan.  This reminds me - I will be traveling for ~2 months starting mid-May and will not be able to participate in the contests, let alone scoring it.  We need a volunteer to take it over.  Even after my travel, I will be busy transitioning into a new role but it is possible that I could score the contest again.  If anyone wants my spreadsheet which still has a bit of manual work, let me know.  I nominate Kujo to take over.
Any thoughts on who is going to take this over?  I will not have the level of internet access I would require to keep this contest going for the next two months starting ~May 15.  That also means I will probably not be able to participate in the contest either.  Man, what would my days be without accessing Sports-India at least 100 times a day  :(
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Atithee,

Thanks for proposing my name to run the contest. I will be taking a summer break some time in June and will barely manage to participate in the contest (if that).

Even otherwise, I know how much work this involves (every week), and not sure whether I can fill the big shoes you leave!! :)

cheers
-kujo
BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by BSharma »

With Atithee and kujo taking a break in summer, Sandeep and PKB not participating regularly, and some of the other contestants probably being out for a week or longer during summer vacation of children, perhaps we may want to temporarily suspend the contest in summer and pick it up when Atithee and kujo are back.

Just my two cents worth.  :D
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Good suggestion Doc ... But somewhere Kumar also shown interest of running this point format contest, if he is still interested to do that then we can ask him to run with Atithee developed excel sheet ... Offcourse last decision on Kumar.

Here r my 2 paisas worth ... ;)
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jaydeep wrote: Good suggestion Doc ... But somewhere Kumar also shown interest of running this point format contest, if he is still interested to do that then we can ask him to run with Atithee developed excel sheet ... Offcourse last decision on Kumar.

Here r my 2 paisas worth ... ;)
With the rupee rising in value relative to the dollar, Jaydeep's two paisas worth is more valuable than my two cents worth.  :D

Good suggestion, Jaydeep. 

Hey Kumar... pretty please... will you consider running the golf contest while Atithee and kujo are away?  We will let you use the Tiger rule if you want - no Tiger Woods for anyone while Kumar is running the show!
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Another way could be to do self scoring. After all, golf is one sport in which players keep their score themselve and they are responsible for their scores. So my suggestion is that after every round, each contestant puts his players names, their positions and points. Later any one can compile the results in the tabular form.
My two cheap penny worth ...  :wink:
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

ajay wrote: Another way could be to do self scoring. After all, golf is one sport in which players keep their score themselve and they are responsible for their scores. So my suggestion is that after every round, each contestant puts his players names, their positions and points. Later any one can compile the results in the tabular form.
My two cheap penny worth ...  :wink:
My two pesos worth: Try the Yahoo fantasy golf which is the model we are using now for two months or so.  Perhaps we may end up using it for good.  This way all tasks except picking players are outsourced.  BTW, there is a rumor that Microsoft is going to acquire Yahoo.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I think Yahoo golf could be worth a shot.. in fact i created a sports india group a while back in yahoo (but very few members were interested).

As to taking over the contest, I can do it on a short term basis (with my set of rules  :devil:)
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

I would like to know how to post the entry lists, if Atithee can give some clues, that will be great.

-kujo
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

kujoku wrote: I would like to know how to post the entry lists, if Atithee can give some clues, that will be great.

-kujo
Here is my method of getting the list.  Email me if you have any difficulties.  You can write a macro to automate some of these steps (see my note at the end).  Ajay has a pretty automated version of these steps available but I just did it in a way that I understood and could manipulate.  You will find your own way to choose the best for yourself too.

1. Visit the PGA website http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/current/186.html to get the latest World Golf Ranking which it gets from the official site at http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com ... efault.sps.  Usually they are in synch, but some time they may not be.  Look carefully at the date and make sure it is current (it should be the Sunday of the current week).  Use the PGA site and right click to export the data to Excel.

2. Visit the Yahoo golf website to get the field for the tournament at http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/pga/schedu ... eHUhkogsUF by picking the correct tournament you wish to post the list for in the forum.  Right click to export the field to Excel.

3. Now you will have two Excel files.  Get rid of all the columns except the “Rank this week” and “Name” in the World Golf Ranking list and “Name” in the field list.  Cut and paste the names from the field Excel file to a new column in the World Golf Ranking file somewhere to the right.  Be sure to leave at least one column between the existing data and the list you are pasting.  Make sure that you do not change the order of World Golf Ranking list in any way.

4. Tom Pernice, Jr., Wes Short, Jr., and Jeev M. Singh are at least three names that are not formatted the same in the two lists.  Make sure to edit these names prior to the next step.  You can do it later too.

5. Use the “Match” function in Excel to fill in the ranks for the field as follows.  Assume the names are in column B and Column D, respectively for the World Golf Rank list and Field List.  Assume Column C is the blank column.  The data should start in Row 1 itself (make sure there are no header rows).  Similarly, the last row should also be just data (typically Row 998).  In Cell C1, type match($D1,$b$1:$b$998, FALSE). This should return the current rank of the top player in the field list.  Simply copy this formula and fill the entire column below. 

6. Select the columns C and D and sort them by column C.  You have a ranked list now.  Cut and paste this list in the forum.  If you find some N/A in the field list ranks, either these players are not ranked in top 1000 or the format of the names doesn’t match (see my reminder about Pernice, Short, and Singh above).

Note: Ajay has an automated version of this file.  Use it if you like it.  He can mail it to you.  I found my own method takes less than 5 minutes if you have a DSL connection but Ajay's is, of course, more elegant.
Last edited by Atithee on Mon May 07, 2007 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

Ahh!  So, that's how you do it every week... Thanks

-kujo