Mind over Matter on Short Putts

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

graham

Mind over Matter on Short Putts

Post by graham »

graham@golfblogger.co.uk  www.golfblogger.co.uk for all the latest golf news from around the globe -hope the following is of interest>>>>>>>>

How many times have I stood over a short putt, looked at the ball, looked at the hole and the path I wish the ball to travel and said to myself, “I’m going to miss this!”

How many times have I, instead of backing off and regaining my composure, not converted what I consider a “gimmee?” (Baby talk for “give me,” a putt of two feet or less that a friendly opponent declares does not have to be holed)

I have missed such “give me’s” on countless times during social and competitive gatherings. On occasions, I have actually said to my playing partners “I knew I was going to miss that!” - which begs the question, “why did I continue with the shot?”

My own experiences is that, when I get such negative vibes I get tense and have a tendency to make a very short stroke and look up for my ball going into the hall. This can result in an upward spinning out type of putting motion which impacts side spin. As opposed to the text book rocking of the shoulders and my head remaining stationary delivering a pure strike which results in the sound of the ball in the hole before my head arises.

My New Year resolution for 2007 is to back off a short putt every time I feel I am going to miss. Whether I deliver on such a resolution only time will tell. I do not believe Tiger Woods would continue with a short putt if he had any sort of negative thoughts. That is why he is the best in the world, he does not give his opposition any sort of advantage.

When I think of short putts, I think back to when Doug Sanders missed that short putt to win the British Open. My heart goes out to that guy! Can you imagine, in front of all that crowds and millions of TV viewers missing what was considered a “gimmee”. The only difference between my missed putt it cost me perhaps a friendly wager whereas with Doug Sanders he will always be remembered in history for that missed putt along with his stylish, flamboyant dress sense. In the same way Jean Van De Velde is remembered for throwing away the Open at Carnoustie’s 72nd hole.
beval
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Mind over Matter on Short Putts

Post by beval »

Short Putts players have the great athlete body....

[inline url to a betting site removed. Inline url's are discouraged here. You mod, Jay]