Golf Contest PlayOffs- 2007

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Golf Contest PlayOffs- 2007

Post by Sandeep »

Kujo, thanks for letting out the secret. I will try to be a monkey for the next contest and see how it goes :)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Now this new theory of 'Randomly selected picks by Computer' ... :roll:

But nice to know at playoff ur selection was manual ... :D
suresh

Post by suresh »

Kujo, Nice one :-)

While you are being candid, maybe you can also explain your pseudonym to us.  :wink:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

While the computer may have done the picking randomly (with a few exceptions each week, no doubt!), just running the contest must have educated Kujoku about PGA golf (just as the contest has educated most of us, who were -- with a few exceptions -- largely ignorant of the innards of the PGA tour until we started "playing" in our contests). That is the purpose, of course, and Kujoku became sufficiently educated by the contest to win it handsomely in the end (with manual picks!!).
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

The way I used to pick the players was following.

I would open the edit window. The for each pick I would scroll down and select the player(of the particular color) on which my mouse stops. Paste the same on the edit window and scroll down again.

This was basically extrapolation of Jay's "Don't think" theory to our golf contest. 
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

SaniaFan wrote: This was basically extrapolation of Jay's "Don't think" theory to our golf contest. 
LOL :D  So, another secret comes out in the open!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

SaniaFan wrote: The way I used to pick the players was following.

This was basically extrapolation of Jay's "Don't think" theory to our golf contest. 
I used to study the performances of many golfers a few years back; tried to determine what type of golf courses suited them, and kept track of how well they did at various PGA tournaments.  I think Jay does something similar about Indian tennis players.

Armed with all those facts, I would pick my five golfers each week and would get hammered by Kumar, Ajay, Sandeep, PKB, VReddy, SaniaFan and other contestants until I realized that possessing all that golf related information was like putting pearls before swine.  :oops:  About two years back, I deleted all that info from my computer and used recent performances to pick my five golfers and I won the contest last year (with a little help from Sandeep who did not compete towards the end of the contest).

I watched the practice sessions at the PGA Championship in Tulsa and actually made my list of five golfers (did not post them for the golf contest) and I realized that watching them perform at practice sessions was a good indicator of how well or poorly they did at the PGA Championship. 
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Atithee wrote: Not new, but the PGA Tour is still active.

Wanna play?
We had very poor response the last few weeks of our regular season (and the last week had just 6 entries).. so I would vote for some break in action.. We need to decide how we are going to run next year's contest.. Old rules? Any changes?

If you guys are really interested, we could have a suicide pool (similar to those in NFL). YOu chose one or two players whom you think will make the top 30 in that week's tournament. If none of your players make the top 30, you are done!!! And you can't pick the same player twice...Whoever is left standing at end of this season is the winner
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Wow ... Everytime Kumar keeps coming with different exciting rule ... I m ready to play but just give us more breifing on that .. So we can play from next week with this format.

Jaydeep.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

jaydeep wrote: Wow ... Everytime Kumar keeps coming with different exciting rule ... I m ready to play but just give us more breifing on that .. So we can play from next week with this format.

Jaydeep.
Jaydeep, not sure if it would be exciting, but something to chew on.. Number 1, all of us get knocked off the very first week and it would be very boring!!!  :(
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Oh ... So for that we (especially u) can think some twisting the rules to make it interesting for our golf contest.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

With no action, I thought this might lighten up the mood.  Here is Woody Austin explaining his position (watch the similarities to Dubya):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3IZJTPp_sA&NR=1