Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Kumar
Authors
Authors

Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

Post by Kumar »

Choosing five golfers for the entire year and then making some sort of trade in mid-year does not reward the home work done by contestants and then it boils down only to luck rather than other factors.
Bhushan, we can have a bigger list to choose from. Make it 15!!  challenge is in choosing a player who you think will do well for the entire month / year or whatever duration we set. I am not set on yearly duration. We can set picks for 3 month duration or even a month duration. And In case a person cannot enter the picks for new month, we can just carry forward his old picks for the next month.

Dhurv's idea of signed cap sounds really good... Jaydeep or Sandeep, we need to move this discussion to a different thread so that our weekly contest is not sabotaged.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

Post by suresh »

I have stopped participating in the Golf contest because I do not have the time to spend
on choosing my players. If it is such that I don't have to do much work every week, then
I will participate. Nevertheless, I do follow the contest.
Dhruv
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Dhruv »

Hmm how about using Google docs :-). The worksheet there can have the latest golfers and you can choose your players and stuff.  Will give some of us the chance to fool around with google docs as well.
Last edited by Dhruv on Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Yep , we need a format where there will be scope for automating the picks.. and ways to ensure that Tiger is not picked by everybody  whenever he is in the contest..
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

With around 2 weeks before the start of next year, are we going to change the contest?

As far as I can see these are the options,

1) Status quo - Don't do anything

2) One of the alternatives.. little complicated .. and involves lot of work for the organizer. We can probably rotate the task of organizing among the forum members.

i) Have members pick atleast 10 golfers for the entire month. Breakdown of 10 golfers would be as follows,

a) 1 top 5 golfer
b) 3 top 30 golfer
c) 4 golfers between 31st and 100th ranked golfer.
d) 2 golfers ranked greater than 100.

ii) For each week, we will stick to our original format of
a) 1 top 5 golfer
b) 1 top 20 golfer
c) 2 golfers between 31st and 100.
d) 1 golfer ranked greater than 100.

iii) And contest member has to pick from his top 10 golfers every week. In case a contest member doesn't enter his picks, his picks will be automatically listed by the moderator, based on the rankings.

iv)In case a member cannot find five golfers to round out the current week, he can choose maximum of 2 players from the next bracket. For example, I pick Tiger woods and he is not playing that week. In which case, I can pick 6 through 30th ranked golfer (as per the current world ranking) to replace Tiger. And similarly if I can't find a golfer ranked between 6th and 30 from my list in the field, I have to choose a player ranked between 31st and 100 to replace him.

v)You are allowed maximum of two substitutions and after that you cannot pick anybody else. Organizer need not verify the substitution list and if any of the contest members find something wrong, they can post it .

vi) At the end of each month, contest members can refresh the list of 10 players they have. New list should follow the current world rankings. In case a contest member forgets to change the list, he can retain his original list AS-IS 

I know this is a very complicated system..  :devil:

3) Create  a private group and play the yahoo fantasy golf. And have a thread to post the results in our forum every week.  This is a simplest option.

4) Same rules as last year with some tweaks.
a) if a member doesn't pick for the current week, his players get carried from last week (with same rankings as his original grouping). Meaning if he picked Daniel Chopra as someone ranked over 100 and Daniel wins a tournament and gets in top 50, Daniel will be still considered a player outside 100. The old ranking groups will continue as long as the contest member doesn't make any change to his list. Any time he makes a change to his team, he has to follow the current world ranking.  There is a chance that his original selection may not  complete the entry. But then it is hard luck.

In this option, members can pick more substitutes (to safeguard them for next week).

b) Each golfer can be an picked only 10 times (At least institute such a rule for top 10 players or at the very minimum Tiger)

What do you think? May be combination of the changes suggested above. We need to come up with something very quickly...
Last edited by Kumar on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I believe that the golf contest rules should be modified wholesale ONLY if we can find rules that will
- bring more people to join the contest, and
- make the contest more interesting

We have not yet figured out why some people do not participate every week and those reasons should be used in making the contest more appealing to people.  My guess is that some people get busy in some weeks and do not find the time to put in their five picks.  People lose interest and stop participating when their lack of regular participation results in ranking in the lower half of the list.  The annual contest is too long (about 40 weekly contests) and fatigue sets in even amongst people like us whose only job in the contest is to pick 5 golfers every week.  As strange as it may sound, there have been a few occasions when I have gotten up from bed on Wednesday night to put the names of 5 golfers as my list of players just to keep my streak alive  :devil: (I have not missed a single official weekly contest in three years  :D).

My suggestions are the following (in no particular order):

1.  Keep the contest as it is with few changes --- let people select 10-15 golfers every month (and that list will carry over to the next month if a contestant does not find the time to name 10-15 players) based on Kumar’s criteria listed in his previous post and this list will be used to select five players if a person is not able to submit the names of five players in a particular week.  Other contestants should be allowed to pick five players each week as has been done in the past three years if they choose to do so.  Start the contest in February so people can get an idea of which 10-15 players to choose for February based on player’s performances in January.  Starting in February will also make the golf contest shorter and less likely to cause fatigue in contestants.  There should not be an annual winner of the golf contest, but divide the contest into three or four parts and announce the winners for each of those parts. 

2.  Let us all play the PGA Tour Fantasy League or some other fantasy league and post a copy of our results in Sports India.

3.  Have the golf contest limited to the four major championships --- The Masters, The British Open, The US Open and the PGA Championship.  There is a good chance that we will have at least one Indian golfer at each of the four majors and hopefully there will be more interest amongst the SI members.  Announce four winners from this golf contest. 

4.  Stop the golf contest. 
suresh

Post by suresh »

I am one of the dropouts from the golf contest since I can't seem to find time to pick 5 players. However, I did participate during the one week when we had to choose 3 players. My suggestion is that we bring down the number of choices that one needs to make to 4 and maybe a few more will re-enter the fray.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I am not sure that there is sufficient interest to re-open the contest for 2007.

These are the options we have, Please post your reply.

1) Stop the contest. itz boring
2) Make it a short contest starting from Masters through PGA Championship
3) Make it a year long contest (may be starting on february) with lot of tweaks to last year's contest.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Guest wrote, "We still haven't figured out why few people are entering."

Unless we find the answer to the question raised by guest, our efforts to modify the golf contest will be futile. 
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I think we will wait for final verdict on our (dear) golf contest until return of Ajay and Sandeep.

I m also for for some changes in our contest to make more interesting and as Dhruv & Kumar's suggestion of awarding signed cap by Indian player for the winner of our yearly contest, so participants interest remain until end of the year.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Until then, I have started a private group in yahoo's contest. If anybody is interested in playing that, send me a pm with your email id and I will send an invite.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Kumar wrote: Until then, I have started a private group in yahoo's contest. If anybody is interested in playing that, send me a pm with your email id and I will send an invite.
Kumar,

Can you post some information about the golf contest at Yahoo website?  I am familiar with only one golf contest besides our own and that is the PGA Tour fantasy Golf Contest.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I participated in the PGA Tour Fantasy Golf Contest two years back ($1 million salary cap) and here is the link to it.

PGA Tour Fantasy Golf for 2007

I am sure that there are other contests similar to PGA Tour Fantasy Golf.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Hi Bhushan,

Rules are similar to our rules in some respect. But one advantage is we don't need a moderator. And there is a limit on how many tournaments you can select a single golfer.

And another main difference is scoring. Yahoo uses the scores per round for rating the performance and money rankingis not used.

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/golf/r ... es-07.html

But this contest would entail lot more participation than our golf contest  :(

I guess we could also use PGA's fantasy golf. And select a private group. Either way, task of organizing the golf contest would not fall on our shoulders.
Last edited by Kumar on Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.