Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

Post by Sandeep »

Do we want to start the contest? I will try to run it but cannot gaurantee it for the whole year.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Yes!!!
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Yes, please let's get the contest started! It's almost the end of January, and I have no idea who won the other PGA tournaments this year -- apart from the big Mercedes championship title for Vijay, which was all over the news and this forum. Now that we have a number of world-class golfers, this is just not the time for so many forumers to lose the source of their interest in golf... :D
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ok then from next week we will start it ... Right now Sandeep will take care of contest as he mentioned and whenever he needs help he can ask us.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

I will definitely do it next week
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

What are the rules? We have made no decision about the rules still?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

I think we r going to follow old KISS rules with little change (if possible).
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Tiger is batting nearly 100 and Once again Tiger woods is close to winning and none of u guys want to restrict Tiger?

If we are going to use prize money as the basis of our calculation, we need someways by which u are going to prevent Unanimous Tiger selection . Tiger's world ranking points is 19.60 while Furyks who is ranked no 2 has  8 point something. Meaning he is twice as better as no 2 ranked player. How can we ignore that? There are number of reasons to introduce a Tiger wrinkle.

possible ways,
1. If you pick Tiger, you cannot pick any other player in top 50 (even a top 100 is not that bad) in your list.

2. You cannot pick Tiger more than 'n' number of times.. where 'n' can be 7 or 8.

Also we definitely need a rule to automate the picks, so that number of contest members per week doesn't go down.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

How about not picking Tiger at all!!
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

SaniaFan wrote: How about not picking Tiger at all!!
that would be good too  :devil:
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

I think it is time to decide based on all the suggestion made so far. I guess as nobody has been assigned resposibilty to decide, it is still pending.
Since Sandeep is going to start it, I propose that we leave this decision to him and shall abide by whatever he decides.
Last edited by SaniaFan on Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
suresh

Post by suresh »

Sandeep,

I second Sanifan. Finalise the rules and put up the list. I will try to participate on a regular basis.

Suresh
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

I went looking for a consolidated post that would explain the rules of Golf contest for the benefit of new comers and found this:
ajay wrote: I see the contest from different point of view. I feel the contest should have a live scoreboard where each contestant have power to monitor his performance with respect to others. If possible, more web based automation is required to run this contest. Like selecting the players with a click of the mouse and locking of the selection at a specified deadline. I think hardest part of running the contest is to ready the excel file by inputting the user's selection. Mostly, there is a delay in creating the file and without the ready excel file no monitoring is possible. So if there is a automated way to input the selection, that will be very useful.  And once a team is selected and locked, anyone should be able to monitor the progress round by round and post the results. Right now, the person who creates the excel file can monitor the results anytime but nobody else. Since I stopped running the contest, I do miss the flexibility of monitoring the contest at any time. In fact, I even feel  lazy to see who did I select and where they are on the leaderboard. This lack of information dampens my enthusiasm too. Earlier, I could do this with a click of the mouse in the excel file. If same facility is available directly on the web, then whenever anyone is looking at the leaderboard, he can go and check out his position in the contest and post his observations in the contest thread. I'm sure this will generate more enthusiasm in the contest.
This post was done by Ajay (waay back), when you guys were still trying to decide on the format and I was not a participant! :)

Interesting...
Now, we do have a page where you can follow the points live! I have also added an interesting feature that will show the "potential points" of a player if he were to finish the day with current "to-par" score. This sort of shows, what is coming down the pipe, especially for such close contests as last week (we had a tie for first place between kumar and saniafan)!! Although, I am not sure whether anyone even visits that page, other than me and Suresh sometimes...
golfcontest/Results.htm

I am glad to see couple of new entries these days (usaindian and Vreddy). Although, Vishnu seems to be an old time contest partiipant.... Can someone do a consolidated post that will explain the rules (including exceptional situations like withdrawals /dropouts etc.) and about the points format itself?

cheers
-kujo
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

Kujo,
Can you add a coloumn to show live scores of the players in your results page. When I see, for example, right now Kujoky is leading with potential 68 points and Kumar is following at 60. I'm now interested to see what Kujoku and Kumar's picks are doing relative to my picks. Just a thought as I feel lazy to search for your or Kumar's picks on the leaderboard to check why you are getting so many points.
kujo
Authors
Authors

Post by kujo »

ajay wrote: Kujo,
Can you add a coloumn to show live scores of the players in your results page.
Ajay,

I have done that.  There seems to be some trouble with the sports-india FTP site of late. My program is unable to publish the webpage automatically. So, it will be manual updates for now...

cheers
-kujo