Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

This is the forum for general golf info and queries and comments.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Suggestions for Golf Contest 2007

Post by jaydeep »

Tell me where (yahoo or PGA tour fantasy) u guys create private group, will join u.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

jaydeep wrote: Tell me where (yahoo or PGA tour fantasy) u guys create private group, will join u.
Jaydeep,

I am not aware of any private group at PGA Tour Fantasy golf contest, but anyone can join it for free and play it. 
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

http://pgatour.fanball.com/games/championship/index.cfm

Bhushan, check out the above link. In this league, you will be drafting 12 golfers and (i presume you cannot draft the same player, meaning only one contestant gets Tiger woods).
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

It appears that interest in Sports-India Golf Contest is low right now.  Should we cancel the contest and restart it when there is more interest in it?
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Ajay must be on holiday, I think we will wait for his inputs ... Hopefully he will be back in next week.

Jaydeep.
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

I've just returned from vacation and unfortunately, some stressful days lie ahead as I've some hard deadlines in next 10 days, and my van was rear-ended some 100 miles away from home as I was returning from airport after the vacation.

I haven't followed the discussion closely, but I vote for a change of format in our contest. But first, the big question is who will run the contest?
Drafting a team of 10 players looks a good idea. (I'm thinking aloud) Their should be some guidelines about the way we draft players.  Now I'm throwing some ideas (which may have originally come from our members). Based on those guidlelines for drafting players, these players get tagged. For example there are two red players (perhaps top 20 at hte time of drafting), 6 yellow players (top 100 but not top 20) and 2 blue players (not top 100).  For each tournament, assign one player as your prime player which will have more weightage than others, and select 3 more players from your drafted players (at least one blue atmost one red) with an option of one blue player being picked outside the draft (for example if Jyoti is playing PGA tournament and he is obviously not a drafted player, but you can still select him)

At the middle of season, lets have an opportunity to make changes in the set of drafted players. And in the end,  the big question is who will run the contest?
Last edited by ajay on Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I am still puzzled about the proposed golf contest format.  If our goal is to foster more interest in the contest then choosing ten (or any other number) players at the beginning of the season and later changing the players at midseason is counterproductive.  I fear that some contestants will draft their players and then forget about it till midseason -- similar to what happened to me in the Indian football contest.  We will have more contestants, but the week to week interest will wane. 

We have not figured out why new people are not joining in the golf contest and why the veteran contestants appear indifferent towards the fourth edition of the contest.  An off and on busy work-schedule of some contestants has been given as one of the reasons for not participating every week, and it is understandable, but what are the other reasons?  I found the contest to be too long and the design of awarding the winner of the annual competition favoring the person such as me who competes every week. 
ajay
Moderators
Moderators

Post by ajay »

I fear that some contestants will draft their players and then forget about it till midseason -- similar to what happened to me in the Indian football contest.  We will have more contestants, but the week to week interest will wane. 
What I'm suggesting is that we have to still select players from the drafted players. So there is some involvement every week if you choose to get involved. Plus, one player can be picked outside the draft - so a serious contestant will keep an eye on other players not in his drafted team.
I found the contest to be too long and the design of awarding the winner of the annual competition favoring the person such as me who competes every week.
I agree with you here. I think we should have just monthly contest. Weekly is too demanding while yearly is too long and boring. Some how, the monthly contest should be designed such that it should have a possibility(with very small probability) for a person to win, by contesting just one tournament in the month. On the other hand more tournament participation in the month must reward the person by increasing his odds for a final victory at the end of the monthly contest.

And instead of drafting players for the whole season or half season, at the same time avoiding a demanding fresh selection every week, lets find a mid way solution. Draft 10 players for each monthly contest.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I guess we are going to skip this week's contest.  :devil:. I side with Ajay on the  necessity to pick 10 players.. we can probably do that for the full month. Letz experiment it. And if it works great, otherwise we can think of somethin else.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I have not yet understood the rationale of selecting only ten players to use them for the whole month or half a season or some other time span.  Sometimes it is hard for information to trickle through my thick skull.  :wink:
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

BSharma wrote: I have not yet understood the rationale of selecting only ten players to use them for the whole month or half a season or some other time span.  Sometimes it is hard for information to trickle through my thick skull.  :wink:
If your skull is thick, what do you call mine..  :devil:

I feel that one of the reasons we have poor participation (meaning number of contestants) per week is that very few members have time every week to make five selections. The idea is selecting once for the entire month may not be that much difficult will motivate them to throw their hat.. and we could also make them keep the same 10 players for the next full month thereby ensuring that we have quorum... Once we have more members per week, it could motivate the members to post once in a while too..

Why don't we give this alternative a shot? If we notice that it is not really helpful, we can try another option or shut down the contest altogether..
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Kumar wrote:
BSharma wrote: I have not yet understood the rationale of selecting only ten players to use them for the whole month or half a season or some other time span.  Sometimes it is hard for information to trickle through my thick skull.  :wink:
I feel that one of the reasons we have poor participation (meaning number of contestants) per week is that very few members have time every week to make five selections. The idea is selecting once for the entire month may not be that much difficult will motivate them to throw their hat.. and we could also make them keep the same 10 players for the next full month thereby ensuring that we have quorum... Once we have more members per week, it could motivate the members to post once in a while too..

Why don't we give this alternative a shot? If we notice that it is not really helpful, we can try another option or shut down the contest altogether..
Kumar,

I am open to any suggestion that would increase the active participation of more contestants in the golf contest; however, I am afraid that selecting or drafting ten players each month or for the next few months will make the contestants more inactive.  We will have more people participating in the contest, but with less enthusiasm.  I base this stance of mine based on my experience of participating in the chess and football threads where I rarely checked to see how my players or teams were doing. 
suresh

Post by suresh »

As one of the dropouts from the golf contest, I would like to say that last year's version of the golf contest was not all bad. The only reason I dropped out was that I was busy at work. However, I did follow the contest without making any picks. Maybe, we can modify the rules as to how the end-of-year winner is chosen. For instance, we can choose to only consider the best 10 results + grand slams. Now that will help address Bhushan's concern that regulars like him tend to dominate things (It is another matter that I strongly disagree with him -- I think he does well because he really puts in an effort to come up with good picks.) As I mentioned in an earlier post, I would like the number of picks reduced to 4 (from five). Maybe, a blanket ban or a penalty for choosing a top 5 player like Tiger or Vijay or Phil will also help.

I would like the golf contest to continue in this forum and not elsewhere. I will definitely not participate elsewhere.

Suresh
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

suresh wrote: I would like the golf contest to continue in this forum and not elsewhere. I will definitely not participate elsewhere.

Suresh
Very well said.  I completely agree with Suresh on this point.