Asia Cup 2022 men's Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

Saffron Lenin
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Asia Cup 2022 men's Hockey

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Yes, it will be good for our juniors to play 3 matches against full strength Japan, Malaysia and Korea. Our juniors will have to lift their game to qualify for finals....All 3 teams are challenging....
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

My prediction for Japan vs india is it will be a draw....
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

India beat Japan 2-1... Go India! Manjeet and Pawan score. We took the lead in the 3rd Q and kept it. Korea and Malaysia drew 2-2 in the other match, so we lead the point table in the super 4s.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Wonderful to see the team getting better as they start gelling better. I watched the highlights of the Indonesia match (16-0); it was a clinical performance. But beating a dynamic Japan is really a superb outcome.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Next match is against Malaysia....I am not sure if Malaysia is stronger than Japan or not....But their world ranking is surely better than Japan.... Really excited for India vs Malaysia
ssp

Post by ssp »

I got the format wrong for the super 4s. I thought it would be semi-finals and final. Looks like there will be a final after the super 4s have played each other.

Good win v Japan today. Probably our best performance because there were far fewer errors and we showed a good defensive structure. As usual, we gave away a few too many PCs and didn't win enough at the other end. Some needless cards because of stupid play. Both of our goals were just brilliant. I had criticized Manjeet for his poor play previously, but have to commend him for a sensational goal. Uttam run for our 2nd goal was lovely to see. I'm not sure about Maninder. I've watched him since the 2019 Sultan Johor Cup. He usually gets at least one card per game and makes silly errors 50% of the time.

Malaysia have an experienced team here, so it will be a tough match tomorrow. Let's hope we put up an even better show against them.
ssp

Post by ssp »

1-0 down after Q1. As usual, we conceded within 2 mins of me switching on.

Nothing new happening. Silly passes, unforced errors and crazy tackles. Manjeet gifted away the PC that led to the goal and also picked up a card for a terrible tackle

2-0 at half time. We're pretty awful. Any Malaysian attack looks really dangerous as there are huge gaps in our defence. At the other end we are careless and can't even pass 5m. Could be a big thrashing. My rule for these kind of matches is to stay till we're 3 goals down ;)
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

What a match man.....we came back superbly.....GK Rajak was unable to stop easy ball.... otherwise we would be winner....
ssp

Post by ssp »

Stopped watching at halftime. Malaysia were far superior but they didn't have to do much to get PCs or enter our circle.

As usual, our fortunes and play improved soon as I go away. A draw is a good outcome given how bad we were in Q1 and Q2. Hopefully, Japan and Malaysia draw their super 4 game and we'll be in the final v Korea irrespective of our next game.

Just get Rajbar into the main team now. And give Vishnu Kant and Uttam a few chances too.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

We were superb in Q3 and Q4...GK Rajak was inexperienced so he could not save a simple goal.....otherwise it was overall good
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

For the record, it was a 3-3 tie against Malaysia. South Korea beat Japan in the other game 3-1, and they top the pool with us behind. If Malaysia beats Japan and we lose to Korea in the next match, we will miss the final on goal differential (I think).
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Malyasia-Japan play first on Tuesday and we play later against Korea, So, we will know what to do to qualify for final. If Malaysia win, we will need at least a draw against Korea.

Have not watched any of the matches in this tournament but looks like our this team is playing on and off. Some really good patches interspred with some bad spells.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Malaysia beat Japan 5-0, so we have to beat Korea to make the final now. Hmm, that Japan team totally fell apart in a hurry after a hot start there in the pool.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

We finished with a 4-4 draw, so three teams finish with equal points and we missed out on goal difference. Korea and Malaysia in the final. Yikes.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

India, Korea and Malaysia all ended up with draws against each other and all beat Japan. So, finally the margin of wins against Japan which mattered.

Anyway, I think main purpose of this trip was to groom young talent, not to win the cup. Hope we have found at least 3-4 players worthy of being blooded into full first team.