Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

Post by ssp »

I still can't believe that we have won an Olympic medal. I honestly thought we would lose in the QF, because we always lose to the top 4-5 teams when it matters. First stroke of luck was GB being our QF opponents. Then, somehow we managed to survive the umpiring crap in the knock out stages (well in 2 out of 3 matches anyway).

Positives:
A really good press in most matches (haven't got the strength to re-watch the 7-1 loss to Australia, so don't know how we did in that match) which reduced the number of attacks on our goal.
Excellent off the ball running and recovery when we lost the ball. There were no easy routes into our circle.
Much better tackling and trapping (not as good as the top 4 -5 teams still, but better than our usual standards)
Decent PC conversions (actually used some variations!) and brilliant PC defence
Some fantastic stick skills, especially from Harmanpreet, Vivek and Manpreet
Self belief- somehow, we didn't seem overawed by the occasion or the opposition (Australia excepted)

Negatives:
Too many risky passes (especially in dangerous positions) when an easier one would have kept possession. This is crucial when defending a narrow lead. We gave the ball away so many times in the last 5 mins v Germany due to utterly stupid passes, aerials or dribbles. Just moving the ball around safely at the back or from one flank to the other would have killed off most that quarter.
Conceded way too many PCs- Rupinder Pal, as expected was guilty many times.
Gifted 4-5 goals in the tournament by horrible play by our defenders (Surendar Kumar alone could have prevented 3 goals and Birendra Lakra wasn't seen much after his gift to Japan)
Too many cards. Although the idiot umpires were responsible for most of these.

The biggest handicap were the umpires. Don't know how this issue can be addressed?

Let's hope Graham Reid is given another contract till Paris, at least.

The finalists were the 2 best teams. They knew how to defend with excellent positioning, especially inside the circle to prevent PCs. The speed and quality of passing was incredible. However, they didn't look as exciting as our teams (men and especially, our women) when we got on a roll (slightly biased here, obviously). Belgium's team will need rebuilding as I expect (& hope) several of their older guys retire. We should also start planning for 2024 by blooding in youngsters for the likes of Birendra and Rupinder Pal.

Minimum for next year are Asian Games Golds, a medal at the CWG and hopefully, another semi-final in the WC for men.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

ssp wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 pm Let's hope Graham Reid is given another contract till Paris, at least.
Bingo. That is ALL we need to do. The man didn't seem to be doing anything stupid. Like you said, I think he has coached them very well on PC defense, and fixed a lot of issues. The press has been coached very well, along with the off-the ball movements. He needs time to fix the defender's tendency to do stupid things at the back (everything but the safe pass!) when in possession of the ball. That is really the only part he hadn't done a good job of fixing. Give him three more years and it could do wonders. Absolutely no need to mess around and find another coach. I hope he likes things enough to stay on. Give him a raise, anyway.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

I do not know why or how we got him. He coached Australia from what 2009 to 2016 or so? And, won a bunch of things? I think it may have been the challenge. Take care of him financially. But, more importantly, motivate him to say that we want him to revive Indian hockey to a top program. Maybe he will stay for the challenge. I hope the administrators give him what he wants and not start their usual shenanigans that annoy the heck out of foreign coaches.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by Rajiv »

His( Graham Reid) present monthly package is USD15K/month + 5 to 6 annual visits back to his hometown.
Sin Hombre
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sin Hombre »

Well the fact that he was crying at the end of the bronze match makes you think that getting Indian hockey back to the top is a challenge that is appealing to him outside of the monetary aspect.