Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Champions Trophy Hockey, Breda,Netherlands, June 23-July 1 2018

Post by ssp »

Excellent result.

Encouraging start for Harendra, and for the sake of our hockey, I hope he becomes the coach we have been yearning for since Walsh.

The Pakistan game was tight and if they had taken their chances, we would struggled to get a win. However, we played in a more composed manner and didn't get any cards and gave away only one PC. We made many silly errors throughout the game, but the main difference was fewer weak players on the pitch. Usually, we have at least 3 who can't do anything right.
PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

In 1975, we lost to Argentina in the pool stages of the World Cup, but Argentina were the minnows in those days. Luckily for us, Argentina drew with England and Australia drew with Germany, so we needed to beat Germany in our final pool game. And we thrashed Germany 3-1 in that final league game to top the pool, beat Malaysia in the SF and Pakistan in the final to win the title. I can remember it all as if it was yesterday.

Argentina have been a strange bugbear for us, but they are now the #2 side in the world. Beating them in Europe -- and in the prestigious Champions Trophy -- is music to us long-suffering hockey fans.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:53 am We are actually playing good hockey, again? Great!
We may be playing our best hockey since 1982, if not since 1975. May the miracle (chamatkar) continue!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Can anyone explain why world #5 Germany have been replaced by world #13 Pakistan in the Champions Trophy this year? It is galling that such a lowly-ranked team is playing. Surely others will have legitimate reason to complain.

Argentina beat Holland 2-1 earlier, and now Holland have thrashed Belgium 4-0. Next up, (presumably hapless) Pakistan versus Australia.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Tomorrow is a rest day, and our next match is against Australia -- but only on Wednesday, at 3pm. I hope the team keeps its composure and keeps winning!
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:50 pm Can anyone explain why world #5 Germany have been replaced by world #13 Pakistan in the Champions Trophy this year? It is galling that such a lowly-ranked team is playing. Surely others will have legitimate reason to complain.
Champions Trophy Qualification criteria -
1. The Host – Netherlands
2. The 2016 Olympic champions – Argentina
3. The 2014 Hockey World Cup champions – Australia
4. The 2017 Hockey World League champions – Australia
5. The winners of the Hero Hockey Champions Trophy 2016 - Australia
6. One place to be nominated by the FIH Executive Board.

Australia r regaining the World Cup, the World League and defending Champions Trophy champions ... So this time three additional teams invited by the FIH Executive Board instead of one, they invited Belgium, India and Pakistan.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Really some clinical and clean performances by our players in both matches.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

jaydeep wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 pmSo this time three additional teams invited by the FIH Executive Board instead of one, they invited Belgium, India and Pakistan.
Well, that raises the question that PKB asked. Why heck is the bug country playing instead of the world #5 Germany? Or England, Spain, New Zealand, Ireland, Canada, or Malaysia, who are all better ranked than these minnows? It should be Belgium, Germany and India in that order, who should have been invited.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Actually, the Netherlands have now beaten Belgium 6-1. Looks like they went all out in attack to salvage some pride after their 1-2 loss to Argentina in the opener yesterday.

My first memory of hockey was how morose everybody seemed after we won the bronze medal at the Munich Olympics in 1972 (having failed to make the Olympic final for the second consecutive Olympics, after making every final between 1928 and 1964). And the joy of the great performance at the 1973 World Cup in Holland, when we played the Dutch to a draw in an exciting final (2-2, with Surjit scoring both our goals) before losing the Cup on a penalty shoot-out. I followed that 1973 World Cup on the radio, and remember the final quite vividly. I remember the Champions Trophy 2003, when we were leading against the Dutch 3-2 until the last few minutes -- but let a couple of goals in during the last few minutes. But we then went onto beat Germany and Pakistan to finish third in the pool stage (before predictably losing to Pakistan in the classification match for 3rd place). IIRC that was the last time we came close to a podium finish at a world tournament (World Cup or Champions Trophy) since 1976.

Somehow Holland has been a relatively good place for us at Hockey.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

ssp wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:02 pm Excellent result.

Encouraging start for Harendra, and for the sake of our hockey, I hope he becomes the coach we have been yearning for since Walsh.

The Pakistan game was tight and if they had taken their chances, we would struggled to get a win. However, we played in a more composed manner and didn't get any cards and gave away only one PC. We made many silly errors throughout the game, but the main difference was fewer weak players on the pitch. Usually, we have at least 3 who can't do anything right.
Yes, I think we played much better today than Pakistan match. The defensive structure looked good.
This guy Dilpreet looks good. He created one goal for Mandeep to score and almost scored another very good one. For a change I thought Mandeep looked good today too.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Australia squeezed through to a narrow 2-1 victory over Pakistan today, breaking the deadlock only in the final quarter of the match (56th minute). Pakistan had taken the lead with a field goal in the 9th minute, but Australia quickly equalised in the 12th minute.

So the next match (on Wednesday) is between table toppers India and the next one on the table, Australia.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

PKBasu wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:40 pm IIRC that was the last time we came close to a podium finish at a world tournament (World Cup or Champions Trophy) since 1976.
We won a silver (losing to Australia in a shootout) in the last edition in 2016.

ssp's pessimism, while justified, should not make us ignore the progress we have made in recent years. Our world ranking of 6 is completely justified, and that is in spite of the Federation and Batra being rats.

Hopefully, we can make the semis or finals here. I am in Netherlands at the moment and will be back here again next Saturday and would be great to cheer for our guys in the finals :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

Better performance today. We gave away a few too many PCs and made the usual silly unforced errors but held our shape and structure well to deny easy passage into our D. The stats were in our favour, apart from PCs, but that is usually the case because of the umpiring :-(

I am not sure how we will cope with the speed and skills of the remaining 3 opponents. Belgium are a class side, even though they lost 6-1 to Holland today, but they created several chances and had lots of PCs. The Dutch created so much because their midfielders were electric today. Our midfield is not so mobile or fast.

I'm impressed by our younger players-Dilpreet, Vivek and the U21 world champions Harmanpreet, Varun and Simranjeet. Ramandeep is injured and possibly out of the tournament.

Our inconsistency has let us down in the past. I'm hoping for some competitive showings in the remaining pool matches.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

The key should be to focus on an air-tight defense, not clearing helter skelter and high balls resulting in penalties. Then, use counter-attacks and fall back swiftly if needed. I don't watch that much hockey though. So, I may be wrong. Will be glad to hear other's thoughts.

Ramandeep was a mixed bag in the recent past. How was his form in this tournament? Is his injury a loss or a blessing in disguise?
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The field goal yesterday was off a brilliant high ball from midfield that was trapped by Dilpreet, who charged up the flank and passed to Mandeep at the goal-mouth. Quite spectacular! And we kept attacking until the end, SV Sunil missing an attempt at goal by inches.