Mohammad Shahid passed away

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

SaniaFan

Mohammad Shahid passed away

Post by SaniaFan »

At the age of 56, Mohammad Shahid passed away.He was a player of rarest breed to whose hockey stick the ball would stick like a magnet. He would earn so many penalty corners in a single match against top opponents that our teams are not able to win in a complete tournament. Here is a an article on Mohammad Shahid by his former teammate.
http://m.timesofindia.com/sports/hockey ... 298206.cms
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Mohammad Shahid passed away

Post by sameerph »

Yes, he was truly a great player. I remember watching him play while in school. The trio of Shahid, Mervyn Fernandes and Zafar Iqbal where a fantastic forward line during that time.

RIP, Mohammad Shahid.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

Sad to hear this news ... RIP Mohd. Shahid.
Varma

Post by Varma »

My all time favorite hockey player, he was the reason I wanted to play Hockey. His poster dorned my wall for most of my college years. Over the years, I heard quite of a few stories of his troubled personal life. He deserved better. 56 is too young for anyone to pass away, leave alone a supremely fit athlete. His mercurial moves are forever fetched in my memory. RIP, Shaid bhai. You will be sorely sorely missed, but never ever be forgotten.

- Varma
ssp

Post by ssp »

Very sad news. 56 is way too young.

Lovely story Varma. I have mentioned Mohammed Shahid as one of our (very) few world class players in the synthetic turf era. An old style magician, the likes of which are a rarity in Indian hockey. Pakistan, too have lost this style of player. RIP
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

That's terrible news! I loved watching him play. He along with Pargat, Jude, Merwyn, Zafar were so much fun to watch. We could have done so much better with better coaching though. RIP.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

In May 1980 SportsWeek edition ( A copy of which I still have ), had on its cover a 19 year Hockey player who was named the player of the tournament in the just concluded 4 nation tournament held in Malayasia and ever since Mohamed Shahid caught my imagination , a Sportsman who was my favourite over any Tennis player or Cricketer, and for me he was the Maradona of Hockey, still have the images of him conjuring up his magical dribbiling runs leaving the opposition in a fix
With Zafar Iqbal, ML Kaushik , Merveyn Fernandes he formed a fabled forward line up unmatched by any team, What was unique he was a natural left hander and played with effortless ease a hockey stick designed for a right hander such a prodigious talent he was ,Will be sorely missed and there will never be Shahid again , shocked at his untimely departure , RIP Mohamed Shahid
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Seeing him play was like seeing Messi slice through defenders in football. Just unstoppable, with the ball seemingly glued to his stick or something. Unforgettable, some of what I saw him do in the early 80s. Just so sad to hear of him leaving like that. Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

He was the last in a line of great hockey wizards from India. RIP Mohammed Shahid.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Not Dhanraj Pillay?

Huge loss. I remember being spellbound by his stick work as a child.
Varma

Post by Varma »

prasen9 wrote:Not Dhanraj Pillay?

Huge loss. I remember being spellbound by his stick work as a child.
What did you mean, Prasen?

- Varma
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Sorry for not being clear. I was replying to PKB's statement that he was the last in a line of great hockey wizards from India. I think Dhanraj was perhaps the last. I mean Sardara was good. These things are subjective and I am fine if PKB thinks that Shahid was the last and Dhanraj or Sardara (or others whom I may be missing) were not at his level. I just wanted to check again whether he really means that or he did not really mean "last". Knowing PKB, he possibly did.

I remember Zafar Iqbal and Mohammad Shahid. Their stick-work were joys to watch even though our team was lousy wrt end-results.