Junior Indian Hockey - men and women

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Junior Indian Hockey - men and women

Post by arjun2761 »

Looks like we won 3-1 with literally every call in the last 4-5 mins going to Spain. Also, looks like they played two 35 minute halves. Is hockey going back to that format instead of the four 15 minute quarters?
ssp

Post by ssp »

I think only some of the top tournaments will be 4 quarters and the rest maybe 35 min halves.

Actually, I checked the format and there are semi finals and a final, so the group games were pretty meaningless. We play Spain on Saturday and the final and 3/4th place play offs are on Sunday
ssp

Post by ssp »

Postby sameerph » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:34 pm

I watched second half of that match. We seemed a much better team. The attacks were incisive and if only finishing had been a bit better we would have won by a bigger margin. Anyway, some of these guys ( commentary was not in English so could not identify any of them) look so much more skilful than the likes of Akashdeep or Utthappa.
Yes all the forwards here could replace the seniors. The best of the U21 forwards is Arman Qureshi. He is so quick and skill full. The other forwards are Gurjant, Parvinder, Ajay Yadav and Simranjit. Any of these guys can stop the ball AND pass AND have more elimination skills than Akashdeep, Ramandeep, Mandeep etc

In midfield Harjeet, Santa and Nilakanta were excellent (replacements for Uthappa, Danish, Chinglensana) and at the back we have Dipsan, Varun Kumar, Harmanpreet and Gurinder (replace the sloths). All of these guys should be given a good run in the senior team after the JWC. I'm sure they will raise our level of play.
ssp

Post by ssp »

We are in the final after a 1-0 win over Spain in the first semi final. So 2 wins out of 2 for our men's teams today (seniors have just edged Korea in a PS shoot out in the Asian Champions trophy).
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Pretty good video of the SF here.

Fast forwarded thru the match, it appears we were far superior to the Spain U-21 who were content to sit back in their own half and counter-attack. However, our build-up and attack seemed fairly relaxed as well perhaps because we weren't being pressured by Spain. Our only goal came around the 11 min mark of the 2nd half.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

We play Germany in the final today at 6.30 pm India time.
ssp

Post by ssp »

5-2 win against Germany in the final. Wow, that's impressive. I like the way this team has played for the past year or two. We have some excellent players in this squad and after the junior WC, I hope to see several of these guys replacing the dross in the senior team. Well done to Harendra and his staff.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Wow, that is great. I tried to search for live steam of this match but could not find one. But, 5-2 against a German team is impressive.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Watching our U18 girls playing Japan in the 4th Asia cup. We are 1-0 up and playing some nice hockey, but still nervous about the slim lead.....and as usual, we concede!!

Oh dear. We have won no PCs and Japan have won about 6 so far. The umpiring is an absolute disgrace. At least 4 of the Japanese PCs were in correct, whilst at the other end, all the decisions go against us. I think this will go to a shoot out. We should have been 3/4 goals up by now, instead we are level. Standard Indian hockey story.

On to the shoot out now. Japan finished better, but I liked our play and the basic skills look ok.

We lost 4-3. Disappointing to lose this, but sort of expected stuff. We had no business to lose this...how many times have we seen this?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

ssp wrote:how many times have we seen this?
way, waaaaay, too many times! Argh...
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Indeed we have.
But I am still savouring the winning goal our women scored with 17 seconds left in the final of the women's Asia Cup in Singapore a few weeks ago. It made it worthwhile for me to have dragged my wife and daughter along to watch the exciting fare. :-)
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our U18 boys have won the Asia Cup by beating Malaysia 5-1 in the final. The rest of the competition was pathetic. Pakistan, Korea and Bangladesh did not send their teams. Still, nice to win this tournament so convincingly. Both finalists scored over 10 goals in every match.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

In a surprising move, HI removed Harendra Singh as a junior national coach and appointing Jude Felix.

Felix to replace Harendra as junior hockey coach
ssp

Post by ssp »

Usual crazy decision by HI. Why get rid of Harendra? He did a superb job from the 2013 JWC disaster to 2016. I read elsewhere that Arjun halappa was going to take over, but out of the blue we get Jude Felix.

I'm not sure about Jude Felix. He was on the coaching staff of the senior team and after a tournament (possibly HWL 2015 in Antwerp) he blamed Gurbaj as a divisive figure and effectively killed the international career of one our best players of the last decade. He then disappeared and now returns as head of the junior team. Just crazy stuff.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

And it's official that Jude Felix appointed coach of the Indian junior men's hockey team.

Jude Felix appointed coach of junior men's hockey team