Hockey India League (HIL)

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Hockey India League (HIL)

Post by ssp »

The best team won the league this year. Ranchi topped the league phase, but relied too heavily on Jackson. The recipe for success is to have strong spine of foreign players -goalkeeper,one in defence, one at least in midfield and one (preferably 2) forwards. Do NOT rely on Indian forwards!! I knew $84k for Akashdeep was madness. Some of the decisions on players are just crazy. Why would you spend money on Sandeep. He looked pedestrian and could not tackle or pass accurately (just like his national team days).

Anyway, there is talk of a 7th team from Bangalore for next year. Ideally, we need 8 teams and hopefully 10 by 2018. 10 teams with a maximum of 6 foreign players, at least 40% of players from the local state and three U21s should make up the squad. I also feel only 5-6 changes per year should be made. That way there is some loyalty to the franchise and fans can recognise their 'players' more easily. Some of the players have already played for 3 of the franchises!

Having 10 teams in the league phase will be more sensible. Now we have around 25-28 matches just to eliminate 2 teams for the semi finals. I'm hoping this league endures for several more years to really have an impact on our national teams' fortunes.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Looks like the 2017 HIL edition will only have 6 teams. We badly need at least 8 to make this league more useful for the national team. 2 extra teams mean a much better format and many more young Indians would get a chance to show their potential.

http://league.hockeyindia.org/news-2016 ... 17-season/

There is good news. Gurbaj has been signed by Ranchi Rays for £99k. A lot of money, but an absolute bargain when you consider Akashdeep fetched £84k last year. ;)

I hope the selectors are forced to bring Gurbaj back into the national team. He is too good to be ignored. Utter madness from HI.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Perhaps, Hockey India can field an U-25 and a U-21 team using players who don't find place in one of the teams. Fabulous opportunity for these players to face good competition and get noticed for the national team...
ssp

Post by ssp »

Weare nearing the end of the league stage of HIL 2017. The matches have been pretty even, apart from 3-4 games. Crowds have been fantastic at Bubaneshwar, Ranchi, Lucknow and Mumbai. Not so good for Punjab and Delhi.

I have spotted 3 youngsters for the future- Shamsher Singh (UPW), Pardeep Singh (DW) and Hardik Singh (JPW). First one is a midfielder and other 2 are defenders/midfielders. Unfortunately, no new forwards that stand out.

Based on the performances so far, these players have performed well and should be in the national team:

Keepers: Sreejesh band Dahiya

Defenders: Gurbaj, Harmanpreet, Birendra, Gurinder, Surender Kumar, Rupinder Pal (although PCs have been woeful), Kothajit, Varun Kumar (although he may lack a bit of pace)

Midfielders: Manpreet Singh, Chinglensana (yes, this is not a mistake!), Sumit, Harjit, Devendar Walmiki

Forwards: Affan Yousseff, Armaan Qureshi, Gurjant.

Some of our experienced players have been pretty average- Sardar (looks a shadow of his usual self), Sunil, Nikkin, Ramandeep, Raghunath (seems to slow down the play), Talwinder

These players have disappointed: Satbir, Harbir, Nithin, Sarvanjit, Dharamvir

The remaining U21 winners haven't had as much pitch time as we'd like, but Dipsan, Manpreet, Nilakanta and Simranjeet look promising.

Finally, 2 guys I have repeatedly moaned about are doing OK. Mandeep has scored crucial goals for Delhi, but I still feel he needs to improve his trapping and passing a lot. Akashdeep has done much better than expected. He looks fitter and stronger and has scored some stunning goals. He still mis traps maddeningly, but a lot less than normal and looks a threat when running at defenders! Let's hope he maintains this kind of form for the national team.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Was looking forward to your comments on HIL, SSP. :D I have watched a few matches but only a few mins and a few highlight packages. Affan Yousseff was the highest scorer if I recall correctly. He is the one who seems quite good and should be part of senior team. In one match I saw Armaan Qureshi was also quite good, better than he was at junior world cup. Good that Mandeep and Akashdeep have looked better. We need our forward line to be stronger to go up. Defense and especially mid field does seem to have quite a bit of talent now.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

On holiday in India (at heavenly Mashobra) I managed to catch highlights of HIL action. And wow, it's very exciting stuff -- just the sort of thing that should help revive Indian hockey. Field goals count as two goals, which is a great feature. And the quality and speed of action seems very high indeed. I was a skeptic about the benefit of glamour leagues like this, but no longer. Definitely a significant net positive for the sport!
ssp

Post by ssp »

There are some reports coming out that the HIL will not be held next year:
http://notthefootyshow.ashleymorrisonme ... -in-limbo/

The franchise owners are struggling to cope and players haven't been paid for the last edition. It will be a shame for this league to collapse, but i expected it to falter after a few years. The model is just not right. Only 5-6 teams with huge costs. Why have so many players for a 6 week tournament? Why have so many overseas players on your wage bill, when only 5 can be on the pitch at any one time.

The previous IHF started 2 leagues which didn't last more than 3 years either.

Not sure how this will impact our national tea, because on the evidence of the last 2 tournaments, we are still pretty poor.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Usual response from HI:
http://fieldhockey.com/index.php/commen ... on-july-24

My money is on the HIL folding altogether.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Seems like the HIL may make a comeback and European players are being scouted. Too far off though. So, don't know if it will. But, there are some efforts to revive it in December or Jan'25. Hockey India League news