Sultan Azlan Shah tournament

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Sultan Azlan Shah tournament

Post by PKBasu »

NZ has given us trouble since 1976. I hate to say it again and again, but we really HAVE to beat the likes of New Zealand, and take pride in our performances against them, if we are to become a world contending hockey nation again. Even if we manage to make the final, this loss will rankle.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Disappointing result, but I've come to expect defeats against NZ as the norm. Same goes for GB,Argentina and Belgium. These teams have good structure, decent skills, and are physical powerful.

I suspect we will mess up against Malaysia too. Somehow a win against Pakistan is the height of our players' ambitions and the rest doesn't matter as much.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

The reason we still have a good chance to make the final (by beating Malaysia) is that New Zealand drew with both Canada and Malaysia (and lost to Australia). They are basically not such a great side -- but India have a mental block while playing NZ in hockey.
Our effective semifinal today starts at 8:35pm (6:05pm IST).
ssp

Post by ssp »

We are 4-0 up at half time against Malaysia! Total domination...what is happening here?
Well, firstly, the intensity, passing, movement and basics are on a different level. Secondly, Malaysia have some youngsters in their squad and thirdly, we finally have some quality selections. Why can't we play like this against the likes of NZ, GB and Argentina. I suspect these stronger teams will not give us the space that Malaysia and Pakistan allow us.

Really pleased to see Surender, Harjeet and Harmanpreet doing so well. These guys are all quality. The return of Nikkin has made our attack a lot stronger.

5-0 now at the end of the 3rd quarter. I can't believe this is an Indian team! No let up at all...almost Aussie like. Stats are a fair reflection of our domination. Malaysia have had one shot so far. Let's hope the 4th quarter is as good.

Finished 6-1. I think this maybe our biggest ever win against Malaysia.

Lots of hard running from the forwards and mid fielders denied any real chances for the opposition. Just like the Aussies, we hassled the ball carrier and created numerous turnovers. Almost every circle entry resulted in a shot on target or a PC. At the back, our passing was quick and risk free. Tackling was excellent too. Well done to all the team and coaches.

So we will play Australia in the final. I hope we can repeat today's intensity and give them a really hard game.
Last edited by ssp on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omkara

Post by Omkara »

Ind vs Mas 6-1
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Awesome to read that we played and dominated Malaysia who have otherwise been pretty competitive in this tournament at home.

Would love to understand why we cant play with the same style and intensity against the more organized and physical teams. I think we generally do well against the likes of Korea who are well organized but perhaps not as physical as the top European and Oceanic teams.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Fabulous win when it really mattered!! 6-1 in a semifinal is absolutely stunning stuff. I hope this means that the team has peaked at the right time and is all set to stun Australia in the final -- just as NZ did last year!
ssp

Post by ssp »

Would love to understand why we cant play with the same style and intensity against the more organized and physical teams. I think we generally do well against the likes of Korea who are well organized but perhaps not as physical as the top European and Oceanic teams.
Our inconsistency is very frustrating. One good game will be followed by a lethargic one with silly errors all over the pitch. We will only get consistency with a top coach (Oltmans is certainly our option, but Walsh was even better) and quality players in all positions. I still feel we are lacking 3-4 players to lift us to the next level. I would like to see all the forwards and mid fielders to run as hard as they did today in every match. Instead they continuously lose the ball and allow the opposition to easily create moves. Today, every player was hassling the ball carrier and denying them any dangerous passes into our half. The Aussies have been doing this for decades.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

0-0 after Q1 in the final.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Down 1-0...10 mins into 2nd Q
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Physical superiority in play, our guys just cant make an entry into the D are forced to play the long crosses into the D hockey...
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, Aus defence strong not allowing space to our forwards like Malaysia did. We are doing better than our ealier match against Aus but effectively there was only 1 clear shot at the goal and Aus scored of that.

Still 0-1 at half time.
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

It's more about if Aus can score or not at this moment coz we are not likely to score with this play, most times we are closed down by multiple folks in our own 25.....sure enough Aus scores to go up 2-0
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

3-0 :damn: :damn: :damn: :damn: crapy defending...these folks are light years ahead of us
ankit1407

Post by ankit1407 »

Finished 4-0...nothing to write home about our performance...Aus just had 12 fit out field players and they did this...with a full squad can't even imagine