Domestic Indian Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

skatdexter
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Domestic Indian Hockey

Post by skatdexter » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:47 pm

I have decided to devote this section for the domestic proceedings of the Indian domestic hockey

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Domestic Indian Hockey

Post by jaydeep » Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:19 am

Welcome skatdexter ... Waiting for ur updates on domestic hockey.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 » Sat May 06, 2017 2:11 pm

An article on what ails Indian hockey: Bitter Home Truths

ssp

Post by ssp » Wed May 17, 2017 3:03 pm

I have been moaning about the pathetic domestic hockey situation in India for decades.

It is obvious that the most successful nations rely on a well organised national league. I don't know why we can't organise state leagues at least. The random knock out tournaments are not working, but why not group together the top 15-20 teams in each state and have a proper 3-4 month league where players get plenty of competitive games? The winner of each state league could progress to the senior nationals.

As for the juniors, we can have university and academy teams also competing in state leagues.

The HIL is too contrived and some of our players don't get much pitch time. It's well promoted and the money is good for the players, but it is only 6 teams and almost 50% is for the benefit of foreign stars.

prasen9

Post by prasen9 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:02 pm

In the U.S. each baseball team has minor league baseball. In the world over, football teams have junior or development teams. I hope the HIL teams or someone can see value to signing up youngsters and developing them. Then, maybe all the teams will do so.

At one point, there were not enough astroturfs to play hockey in. Do we have adequate numbers now?