Hockey Junior World Cup - 2016

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Hockey Junior World Cup - 2016

Post by ssp »

U21 WC starts this Saturday.

http://stick2hockey.com/ViewArticle.asp ... leOID=3270

Looking at the composition of the team, we are loaded with forwards but have only 3 defenders! I can see us conceding a lot of space at the back simply because all our coaches keep on playing the same way. I wonder what sort of special 'attention' to the defence has been paid at the camp?? My guess is that the players would have practiced a lot of aerials and hits to get the ball away. This is usually the sum of our 'attention to defence' that our coaches can come up with. They never, ever think of changing the formation or pay any attention to man marking etc.

Our juniors have a good record at the World level over past decade or so. Our juniors tend to play with a lot more self-belief than the seniors. The opposition is also less organised at this level. We actually go into matches against Holland, Australia etc with a good chance of winning!

Recently, our team has been faltering at the last hurdle against Australia (twice) & Pakistan, but I have high hopes that they will do well here. First of all we have to get out of our group. I would rate Australia, Argentina, Spain and Pakistan as the main threats.

Wish the team the best.
ssp

Re: 2009 U21 World Cup

Post by ssp »

Big wins for all the top teams.
India scored the biggest win so far by beating Singapore 10-0.
Our first real test is tomorrow against NZ. A win will ensure passage to the next phase.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by jaydeep »

We managed draw against Black Sticks ... :frown:

9th June
India dw New Zealand 2-2
ssp

Post by ssp »

Not a good result against NZ. Puts us under pressure against Holland now.
I was hoping for a win today to ensure qualification. It may come down to goal difference and we will need to stop wasting chances (like we always do). Countless PCs and open play chances squandered today.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Crucial game against Holland.
India made a good start with a goal after 5 mins. I went off to make a cup of tea and as usual when I got back India had conceded 2!! :damn: Both goals off PCs.
So frustrating. Countless number of times I have suffered this kind of dejection.
13 mins gone....can we rescue this?? Looks like umpires are up to their usual tricks- awarding PCs & cards against us and refusing our claims for PCs. Nothing new there. :mad:
Live commentary on: http://www.stick2hockey.com for those who want to suffer.

25 mins gone still 2-1 down and we have missed several chances already. No PCs for us yet. Holland have punished us on the counter. Lots of mis-trapping and fumbles in their D by our forwards.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Half time and India continue to frustrate. 2 PCs wasted and several other chances missed. A repeat of the NZ game so far, except, Holland will punish us with their PCs.
We need at least a point out of this game, otherwise we could be eliminated!!

48 mins gone: not looking good as Diwakar's PCs are ineffective. He has a habit of flicking hard and straight and quality keepers are going to save his flicks. We need to find a goal from somewhere...but forwards continue to fumble traps etc....very frustrating.

Now we are royally stuffed....a 3rd Dutch goal.Hotly disputed PC (as usual we get a harsh decision). We also had a harsh yellow card. Looking at the 2 white umpires, I'm not surprised at the awful decisions against us.

Next min, India get's 1 back...now 2-3 down. Still in a mess. We need an equaliser from somewhere and STOP conceding PCs. The Dutch are brilliant at converting. We have 12 mins left to rescue this.

Dutch down to 10 men. Can we make this count.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Not looking too good for us. 3 mins to go and yet again we are going to mess up in the first round. Dutch just missed a sitter.
Meanwhile our drag flicker has been awful. We have failed to stop PC push out at the top of the D twice. Really shoddy crap.

Last chance? A PC for us. Hope they try a variation as Diwakar has been pathetic. We have scored 1 out of 8/9 and Dutch 3/5. That's killed us.

Last PC: No surprise, we couldn't even stop the push out.Hopeless.

Time to give up on junior hockey too I think. I can see Dutch / NZ game ending in a convenient draw which will see us out of the competition. Even this(junior hockey) ray of hope is gone now. :damn: :damn:

What a waste of time setting up month long camps and expensive overseas tours and then the end result is still shit.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

:damn: :oof: :damn:
ssp

Post by ssp »

So far so good. The Dutch are leading 1-0 with 27 mins gone in 1st half.
Will this last?

5 mins into 2nd half & Netherlands still leading 1-0, and on the other pitch we have just taken the lead against Poland.

For once, will these scores hold?

Yesss....2-0 to the Dutch now.
And we are now 2-0 up with 5 mins to go to half time. I think the other match has about 20 mins left.

Noo. NZ pulls 1 back. 17 mins left there. Come on Netherlands.
ssp

Post by ssp »

DISASTER....NZ have equalised. We are doomed. 5 mins left for scores to change.
NO CHANCE OF THAT HAPPENING.
AAAARRRRGHH :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Is it a fix??

Our fault for not beating NZ and losing yesterday.
Doesn't matter what happens from now on.....another depressing day in Indian hockey. I was hoping the Dutch would do us a favour but it was wishful thinking.

Meanwhile Poland pull 1 back. We may not even win this game....hehehehe

Will support Pakistan and Malaysia from now.

We're out. Didn't even make into the last 8. Really terrible stuff. All the hype about our players being fit, raring to go etc... they were found wanting. What a waste of time to send them to Argentina, holding loooong camps and then we can't even get past the 1st group stage.Can't even stop PC push outs, no PC variations, so thick!!

It gets worse...Poland are now level. Our team has given up

Diwakar Ram has been a real let down. So many PCs with nothing to show. Keeps flicking straight at the keeper!!There are hints that some of our players are over age and STILL we have such poor results.
david

Post by david »

:damn: :damn: :damn:
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:damn: :damn: :damn:

I had planned to go, but was down with the flu all week, and missed both this disaster and the badminton exploits by our players in Singapore.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Sorry day all round for Indian sport.

U21s, badminton & now cricketers making this day one to forget.

Our juniors built our hopes up with decent performances in the last 12-18 months. But when it mattered they messed in 2 crucial matches. We can't complain about a fix between NZ & Netherlands when we struggled to beat Poland 4-2.

Diwakar's PCs were a big, big let down. If we had a quality flicker (like the Dutch or Jugraj or even Sandeep) our fortunes would have been turned around. Most of Diwakar's flick were low and straight at the keeper. Zero imagination with variations.

No variations were tried. Instead we had trouble stopping the push outs at the top of the D. What the hell was going on in the camps. I am sick of these camps because nothing new comes out of them. We play exactly the same way and commit the same errors irrespective of which team is playing ( seniors, women, U21s). The NZ team apparently had a 3 day preparation!

Now, onto the next embarrassment.....
Ankit Desai

Post by Ankit Desai »

I hope this will bring Bansal on earth and so called indian coaches too. There are some crucial curves at every tournament those have to keep in mind before going into every tournament, I don't understand how come Indian coaches keep forgetting basic rules.

If I go by Bansal's statement after defeated by NED, he said he has hidden weapons which he will use at proper time ( not exactly those words ). I guess that time never going to come. Those weapon meant by Bansal is 2nd flicker innocent kullu and he used him against poland but it's too late.

Hockey india or IHF they have to do 1st thing is to start FIH level coaching institute in India by inviting different world class coaches from abroad, start stimulate real time scenario of game, strategies against different teams and coaches of the world.

gota do so much, frustration eating me, but do they have time for all these from their dirty politics and EGO.

Ankit
ssp

Post by ssp »

Expected verbal garbage from Bansal:

http://fieldhockey.com/index.php?option ... tid=1:news

I fully expected a 'convenient' draw. It was our misfortune that the fixtures fell in this order.

I don't think the Dutch would have been too worried about facing India in the semis because we were not too special. There are better teams in the competition than us. Bansal is deluded in thinking we were 'feared' by the Dutch.

If we can't beat NZ and mess up so many PCs & other chances, we deserve to be dumped out of the tournament.

I would like Bansal and to admit we were useless in our PCs and we didn't do well enough generally in our play. Even the win against Poland was scrappy.

I have had horrible experiences of the live commentary unfolding badly against India. Just this year I saw us throw away the Punjab Gold Cup, a 2-0 lead to China and now this dramatic turnaround in the NZ/ Holland game. I should keep well away from following Indian hockey!! Anything that improves our fortunes will do. Right now we are in a really bad way at all levels. But knowing Indian hockey the only way now is..... DOWN FURTHER.