Indian Women's Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Indian Women's Hockey

Post by jaydeep »

Our women defeated Kazakhstan convincingly, 7-1 ... In the semis, they r facing host Japan.
ssp

Post by ssp »

We're in the final against China.
A 4-2 win over Japan today in the semi-final. We beat China 4-1 in the pool stage, but they have improved as the tournament has progressed and we will need to be at our best to win.
We have scored several goals via PCs. Shows the importance of having a drag flicker. This is something our selectors overlooked for many years. I suspect Harendra has some plan or tactics, compared with the garbage we dished out under Hawgood.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

Wow, 4-2 is a convincing win against Japan at their home. I think in last few years we have struggled to beat Japan and whenever we beat it was a close win. Now, if he can beat China again in the final it will be a dream start for Harendra as a coach of women's team. We have won Asia cup only once before and that was way back in 2004.
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

They have surprised everybody with their performance. :goodluck: for the final
ssp

Post by ssp »

We have won the Asia cup on sudden death shoot out after the match ended 1-1.
Excellent start for Harendra. Well done to our team and coaches.
We have actually earned a WC place on merit!

China have brought an inexperienced team, but they were good enough to knock out a full strength Korean team, so I feel this is a brilliant achievement for us.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Last year (almost exactly a year ago, in fact) I saw the Indian women win the Asian Champions Challenge tournament in Singapore -- beating China with a last-minute goal (with 17 seconds left on the match clock!). So their improvement has been noticeable for awhile, but what has changed in the past year is that the women's team has been playing a lot of tournaments/matches all over the world to enable them to sustain that level. There is a reasonable chance that the team will do reasonably well (ie, not face any abject defeats) at the World Cup.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Chak de! Great job by or women.

Dies this mean I have to actually start liking this guy Harendra as a good coach? I had no respect for anybody from India as a coach in hockey, and had always thought of this guy as nothing more than a guy who plays politics like almost all other Indian coaches (and former players). Just an impression I had developed. Maybe I should change my opinion?
ssp

Post by ssp »

Dies this mean I have to actually start liking this guy Harendra as a good coach? I had no respect for anybody from India as a coach in hockey, and had always thought of this guy as nothing more than a guy who plays politics like almost all other Indian coaches (and former players). Just an impression I had developed. Maybe I should change my opinion?
I was a critic of Harendra when he was in coaching set up of the seniors, but I was very impressed with his stint with our U21s. He got us playing excellent, modern hockey from 2014-2016. In fact we didn't play to our potential in most of the matches at the JWC, but we were well organised and that was due to Harendra and his staff.

I didn't see any of the matches at this Asia cup, so can't comment on what improvements Harendra may have made. However, I had repeatedly criticised Hawgood when he was in charge of our women's team. We rarely managed more than 3 consecutive passes before just giving the ball away to the opposition.

HI are very quick to sack men's coaches (usually without a good reason) yet they were crazy to let this kind of nonsense go on for 4-5 years. Any decent coach would have been a big improvement on Hawgood.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

I too was impressed with what I saw in junior world cup. And it was clearly a coach's work evident there.

This is an article on today's win -

Buoyant India show off their World Cup credentials
It wasn't just penalty corners and shootout training that helped. Chhetri says the team under Harender had a simple motto.

"Coach Harendra likes to keep things simple. In the one month that we have together we have improved on the basics. These are tactics like passing to each other, controlling possession and covering each other's positions. These are simple things that make a huge difference in international hockey," he says.
We will wait and see our results against better team and on a more consistent basis but start is good under Harendra.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Superb start for Harendra and congrats to the Indian team as they also qualify for the World Cup with the Asia cup.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Our women hockey team are now in Korea for a 5 match series. They started well yesterday with a 1-0 win. Hope they continue this in upcoming matches.
ssp

Post by ssp »

We have won the 2nd match 3-2. This is excellent news.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, we have struggled with the likes of Korea, China, and Japan in women's hockey in the past, so good to see these wins. Notice that we are now #10 in the world, ahead of #12 Japan and just behind #9 Korea and #8 China.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We lost the third match of the series 1-2 to Korea but today came back strongly to win the fourth match 3-1. This means we have taken an unbeaten 3-1 lead in the series. This is a very good show.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Good news from the women (on a day our men lost to Ireland!). Very encouraging as we have struggled to beat the Koreans in the past 20+ years.