Indian Women's Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

bhagatghavri
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Indian Women's Hockey

Post by bhagatghavri »

It is good start for Indian Women Hockey Team. Geographically condition does not matter. Team Performance should be good.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

We lost to Belgium 2-4 in the 5-8 playoff match. Scoreline is an improvement over the 0-5 thrashing at the group level which is the only consolation.

Today, we meet Scotland to decide who will finish at the bottom.
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Indian women lose 3-4 to Scotland to finish in last place in the champions challenge event. Somewhat ignomious performance by the women as they lost all their games, so seemingly deserved their last place.

Surprisingly, Ireland finished second here after being beaten easily by India in a 3 game series prior to the tournament, so the pre-tournament series have seemingly limited predictive value.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Hawgood maybe leaving to take up head coach of Malaysian men's team in Jan.
Won't be a big loss for us.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our women are playing a test series against Spain and here is the link to watch the 2nd match:
http://hockeyindia.org/

We won this one 1-0 after drawing 0-0 in the 1st match. Our play was reasonably good, but we gave away a lot of PCs and missed quite a few chances at the other end.

However this is an encouraging win. Our biggest problems are: playing the ball out of defence (we lost possession countless times in our own quarter with sloppy passes) and lack of speed (both on passes and covering opposition players).

On the positive side, we have some lovely skills and we won this without our best player; Rani Rampal. I'm hoping the new coach can work on our weaknesses- something Hawgood never really got to grips with.

The umpiring was quite poor when it came to giving us free hits or PCs. Our goal was sweet because the umpire denied us a PC but from the next move, Vandana scored a beauty.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Our women lost 4-1 and 10-2 to a couple of Dutch Men's club teams. Don't know what benefit we got out of playing these 2 matches. The final match of the tour is against Germany (ladies team!!). Lets hope for a good performance.

Pleased with the results against Spain, but I feel this was a lot of money wasted. My reasoning is that the new women's coach can not take over till end of March.
ssp

Post by ssp »

http://hockeyindia.org/news/indian-eves ... encia.html

Wow. Our women beat Germany 2-1. That is a very good result. i'm not sure whether Germany put out an experimental team, but I'll take a win over any German team.
suresh
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by suresh »

@ssp Isn't it good that our women are playing matches (other than regular tournaments)?
ssp

Post by ssp »

@ssp Isn't it good that our women are playing matches (other than regular tournaments)?
I agree it is a good thing to play test matches, but not sure about the timing of this trip. I say this simply because the new coach doesn't start his tenure for another couple of months. Had this trip taken place after he took over, then the benefits would have been greater.

Let's hope for (much) better things from our women's teams in the coming months and years.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Indian women hockey team beat Germany 2-1
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/spor ... 343599.cms
ssp

Post by ssp »

HWL Round 2 starts on the 7th:
http://events.fih.ch/new/competition/419

We beat Poland 4-0 in a warm up match. I expect Malaysia to give us the hardest time and anything less than winning this tournament will be a disappointment
ssp

Post by ssp »

We are into the final without conceding a goal. Surprisingly, Poland will be our opponents. We have beaten them 2-0 in the pool game, but you never know how our ladies will handle the pressure in the final. I feel we should have won all our games with bigger margins. Let's hope we get our best performance in the final
Ayush1234567

Post by Ayush1234567 »

ssp wrote:HWL Round 2 starts on the 7th:
http://events.fih.ch/new/competition/419

We beat Poland 4-0 in a warm up match. I expect Malaysia to give us the hardest time and anything less than winning this tournament will be a disappointment
We won by defeating Poland 3-1 in the final.Good Performance.Malaysia came up 3rd and missed the slot of semis.India and Poland in Semis where it will be the real competition.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Pleased we won, but more of a struggle than expected. In fact it was 1-1 till the 44th min and our last goal came right at the end. We conceded one goal in the entire tournament.

I hope our new coach takes us up to a much higher level.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

It does not look like the new coach who was identified earlier is going to come.

New coach unlikely for women’s team now