Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by jayakris »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 6:28 pm I would like to hear expert advice of ssp too :mrgreen:
You would certainly want to hear expert advise from ssp. No "too". People like me only give hot gas like above. I am no expert. Wait for ssp's comments please :)
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Pardon me for my grammar :puke:
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

No saffron, there was nothing wrong in your grammar! I thought you were saying that you took what I had said above to be an expert opinion, when you said "too". I was saying it wasn't. Only ssp's opinion is considered an expert opinion :)
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Bro, you are reading too much in between the lines......I just said I want to hear ssp opinion 😂😂
ssp

Post by ssp »

Not convinced about Craig Fulton. He did very well for the Irish, but he had decent players who did not the 3-4 passengers we often have in our team!
I hope he turns out to be brilliant. Not really relevant, but our last experience with a South African coach, turned out horribly at the 2013 JWC. That squad had several players from the senior squad, yet we were pathetic.

We can't really turn things around without introducing new players who are fitter, faster and more reliable than some of the 'experienced' dross that have been poor since Tokyo
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Return of HIL

To bring back the league, today Hockey India announced Big Bang Media Ventures Pvt. Ltd. as its exclusive commercial and marketing partner agency. This marks a great step towards the awaited revival of the Hockey India League.

Speaking on the occasion, Padma Shri Dr. Dilip Tirkey, President, Hockey India, said, "I am very pleased today, because the Hockey India League was one of my top priorities when I assumed office as president of Hockey India. It will be a critical stepping stone for India and we are delighted to have Big Bang Media Ventures Pvt Ltd (BBMVPL) as our exclusive Commercial partners for the HIL. Their understanding of sport, esports, content, media & IP monetisation is unparalleled and we are very excited for what we could collectively achieve and deliver.”

"I am delighted that we are moving towards the launch of a new era of the Hockey India League. It will revitalise not only hockey in India, but also bring fresh energy to the sport globally", he continued.

https://www.hockeyindia.org/news/hockey ... dia-league
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

That is really good news. Hope it comes back this year.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

When will the HIL be held?

In its statement on Monday, Hockey India said it will announce “HIL schedule, format and host cities in due course.”

However, sources said it is likely the league will come back in 2024 after the Paris Olympics. In the past, the HIL was held mostly in January and February but given that Olympic qualification tournaments are set to be held in early 2024, the earliest available slot will be after the Olympics.

https://indianexpress.com/article/expla ... t-8550860/
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, a HIL and probably a women's HIL is much needed. This is a sport where a lot of the talent is in India and giving them exposure to the top international players will be very helpful for that talent to develop. Otherwise, the national team matches is often the bottleneck for development because of which the vets hang on for too long.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Hockey India ropes in mental conditioning coach Paddy Upton for senior men’s team

Upton, who has previously worked with the Indian men’s cricket team during its successful campaign in the 2011 World Cup, is scheduled to hold three-part mental conditioning sessions starting July 1 in Bengaluru.

“With an illustrious career in high-performance coaching, Paddy brings a wealth of experience and expertise. The Cape Town-based high-performance coach, author, speaker, and professor, has an extensive background in sports psychology and leadership coaching. With over two decades of experience working with professional athletes and teams across various sports, the 54-year-old mental conditioning coach has earned a stellar reputation for his ability to unlock the potential of individuals and foster a winning mindset within teams,” a release from the Hockey India stated.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/hockey/h ... 022544.ece
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Hockey India League after Paris Games: HI

HI has requested the international hockey federation (FIH) for a window to conduct the tournament next year and is awaiting a response from the world body. “We haven’t got any window as yet but we have asked FIH for a window. We have asked a window after the Oympics, sometime in December next year or January in 2025,” HI president Dilip Tirkey said.

As per HI’s plans, the revamped HIL will have eight men’s and four women’s teams.

https://www.tribuneindia.com/news/sport ... e_vignette
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Pakistan to host FIH Olympic qualifiers

Pakistan is set to host an international hockey event after nearly 19 years with the International Hockey Federation (FIH) allocating the Olympic qualifying rounds to the country for early next year.

Pakistan, which last hosted an FIH event back in 2004, will host eight teams in Lahore from January 13 to 24 next year.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sport ... s-8824109/
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:15 pm Pakistan to host FIH Olympic qualifiers

Pakistan is set to host an international hockey event after nearly 19 years with the International Hockey Federation (FIH) allocating the Olympic qualifying rounds to the country for early next year.

Pakistan, which last hosted an FIH event back in 2004, will host eight teams in Lahore from January 13 to 24 next year.

Current FIH President is from Pakistan. I don't know how much role he played for this!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:15 pm Pakistan to host FIH Olympic qualifiers

Now, its even more important to win Asian games 2023 and directly qualify for olympics....I don't think India would like to go to Terroristan to play hockey amid of a hostile crowd!!
arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, it would be best if we win the Asian Games and qualify directly. However, if we have to qualify, perhaps we can play the qualies in Spain instead. Or are the qualies participants decided based on their geography (i.e., we have to go to Pakistan)?