Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by jaydeep »

~stik thanks for ur views on SHL'05 ... Nice to know that our players did weel in this tournament ... But can u give ur more picture on standard of tournament ??? I think Bhushan phrased those questions more rightly ... Thanks in advance.

Jaydeep.
mugu
Authors
Authors

Post by mugu »

The Shastri hockey tournament begins today. There are four IHF teams plus a team each from Pakistan and Malaysia.
Interestingly, Dhanraj Pillay and Len Aiyappa are expected to play for the Malaysian team, Telekom.
This is IHF's beginning of preparations for the Champions Trophy in Chennai in December. A few prominent players, including Tirkey and Gagan, are off to Europe.
The Hindu report on IHF teams:
http://www.hindu.com/2005/10/01/stories ... 521800.htm
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

BSharma wrote:~stik,
Was the hockey played in Pakistan typical of the ub-continent? Did Gagan and other Indian players do well because they were not playing against European players or the European style of play? Can you tell us more about the tournament? Thanks.
As usual the Doc has come up with a pointed question :notworthy: !!! Would luv to hear ~stik's response...

Btw ~stik did u play hockey at any level or just a very knowledgeable fan?
Hockey_Stik

Post by Hockey_Stik »

Well, i must admit the hockey in SHL was not upto the PHL level. Infact the overall administration was not even close to the PHL.
We should be proud as to how the PHL was done wid, absolutely awesome...
As for the Hockey, i think we all know that India and pak can neva get over the sub-continent style until and unless it has been inculcated into us from the school days and very expectedely the hockey was the same old stuff we see around in our school grounds and the Dhyanchand national Stdium. it was the typical dribble dribble.. get stuck and pass kinda game.. not innovative.. or no pro active passing and the short passing stuff and penetration that the europeans use so eefectively..
infact Sandy was playing the same throw the ball in d other half wheneva he hit the field.. :D
But i think Viren's coach tried to play differentely, may be cause he had notin to lose.

One more factor was the absence of Pakistani Stars themselves... it hurts to c when SOhail, Waseeem, Zeeshan, Gazzanfar were missing.. wateva the reasons but it was a big dampner... :(

As for the Indian doing good.. well i think that is rightly pointed out by d doc.. so much room to dribble is not availble when u play the eurpoean teams.. they close down like rabid **gs.. whereas here the playa's were slow to cover and the space available was aplently...

Also no pressure of the IHF, the ever watchin guyz at the helm also might have helped the guyz.. but hv to admit Indian's did have a crucial role to play for their teams...

But all said and done great exposure for the guyz.. great performance and great Ambassadors all d men!!

Regards,
~stik

P.S: I neva played hockey.. but i try and follow it wheneva i hv d time.. great game!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Thanks ~stik for your comments. :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

Go to www.fieldhockey.tv for excellent coverage of major tournaments.
Currently they are screening highlights of the Dutch league.
I knew Gagan & Dilip Tirkey were playing for Klien Zwitzerland, but Sandeep & V. Raja are playing HC Eindhoven. I thought they were playing in the Spanish league.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

I think only Good news (Gill retiring or being sacked) should be posted in this thread.. Everytime I see a post in this thread, I come with gr8 anticipateion.. :devil:
Varma

Post by Varma »

Well, Gill hasn't been sacked or volutarily retired, but Indian team finally got a professional physio, which is a very good news in itself. :)

http://www.hindu.com/2005/11/16/stories ... 321700.htm

- Varma
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Yeah that's a good news. Now we need to bring in good performance which we haven't in recent days. When will India play next?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Ravi Kanakamedala ..

Will he be the one who finally brings us a Kanaka Medal at Olympics? ... I can't think of a better sports name than that! :)

Jay
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

:) Brilliant, Jay!!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

According to FIH, "The International Hockey Federation (FIH) has announced the nominations for the 2005 WorldHockey Men’s Player of the Year awards."

The nominations are as follows:

2005 WorldHockey Men’s Player of the Year
Salman Akbar (PAK)
Pol Amat (ESP)
Teun de Nooijer (NED)
Jeroen Delmee (NED)
Jamie Dwyer (AUS)
Santi Freixa (ESP)
Brent Livermore (AUS)
German Orozco (ARG)
V S Vinaya (IND)
Christopher Zeller (GER)

2005 WorldHockey Men’s Young Player of the Year
Shakeel Abbasi (PAK)
Robert van der Horst (NED)
Mark Knowles (AUS)
Sandeep Singh (IND)
Lucas Villa (ARG)

The awards will be presented at a function at the Hotel Taj Connemara in Chennai on Saturday 17th December at 4pm.
India1989

Post by India1989 »

Man India is doing so badly in Champions trophy. So basically there's still no good news about India and i don't think there would be in future.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

VS Vinaya doesn't ring a bell at all with me :oops: . Am I completely out of touch with Indian hockey? (Or does he go by another name in normal parlance?).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

It is V S Vinay. He was part of the Indian team at the Junior World Cup earlier this year. He was among the few that someone complained about being overage (somebody said he was as much as 24 yrs old at the u-21 event -- well, whatever happened to those allegations? -- IHF pushed it under the rug fast?) ... Now part of the senior team.

Vinay is talented, and is among some youngsters recently picked up by European clubs (along with Sandeep Singh, Nitin Kumar, V.Raja etc). He will play in Spain, based on what I read at bharatiyahockey.org.

Anyway, I too was surprised why he, of all people, was picked for player of the year!!! .. I was more surprised that nobody here had asked why till PKB asked... So, what is the deal?

Jay