Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

BSharma
Authors
Authors
Please enter the middle number: 1

Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by BSharma »

I could not find an appropriate place to put the following news about Dhyan Chand and so I decided to start a new thread where people can post "good" news about Indian hockey.

August 29, 2005 marks the 100th birth anniversary of Dhyan Chand.
PKBasu

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by PKBasu »

God bless Dhyan Chand's soul. The greatest hockey player of all time, a wizard who unfortunately played long before our time. And of course, his son Ashok Kumar was a genius from Bhushan and my era.

Interesting that he was born on August 29th. The greatest cricketer, Don Bradman, was born on August 27th (1908). Unfortunately, my birthday is smack in between the two: the stars did not align well enough for me to be a sportsman, i.e., be anything more than an avid sports fan.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Dhanraj Pillay (the Dhyan Chand of his generation, although not quite as great a player) and Len Aiyappa are playing in the Malaysian Hockey League. Both play for Tenaga Nasional, the national energy utility in Malaysia. Aiyappa is the highest scorer in the MHL this year, with 28 goals (almost all of them from penalty corners; something for the IHF to wake up and note). Dhanraj of course is the glittering star of the MHL, who continues to dazzle with his artistry. It is a travesty that he isn't playing for India (because the selectors and Gill won't let him) as we prepare for next year's World Cup.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Four Indian players have been picked by top European clubs to play in their professional leagues. The players are full-back Sandeep Singh, midfielder Nitin Kumar, forward Vir Raja and V S Vinay.

4 players picked for European hockey clubs
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Here's one of our stars (deemed not good enough to play for India much of the past year) dominating a league fixture in Pakistan:

http://www.ptinews.com/pti/ptisite.nsf/ ... enDocument
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Sandeep »

Gagan Ajith singh seems to in sublime form. He scored hattrick to help his team capital Dynamos beat shan-e-punjab in super hockey league (Pakistan).

http://www.hindu.com/2005/09/15/stories ... 941900.htm

PS: It is strange that in Hockey forum we do not have a thread to discuss players performances!
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

It is strange that in Hockey forum we do not have a thread to discuss players performances!
Since hockey is a team sport we end up discussing the performance of the team rather than of a particular player. Cricket is a team sport but it is also a one-on-one sport where there is a battle between the bowler and the batsman. There are individual stats in cricket that are published (score sheet) in the newspaper, and hockey does not have similar news. We could start a seperate thread for an individual hockey player if there is ample news about that player.
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

No, I am not talking about indiavidual hockey player threads. But you can have some thing like hockey 2005 where you can discuss all the news about hockey. Is there any thread like that? Did I miss it.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Sandeep,

The hockey forum has threads that deal with various tournaments or has threads about the various problems facing Indian hockey. We have not discussed Indian hockey year by year (e.g., Hockey 2004, Hockey 2005) since there are quite a few tournaments that are held each year. What specifically do you have in mind?
:Offtopic:
Sandeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by Sandeep »

Nothing specifical, but what do you think is the appropriate thread to discuss Gagan Ajith's good performances in Pakistan.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Start a new thread about the hockey league in Pakistan if you think that there will be several posts on that topic. If not, then put it in the "good news about Indian hockey" thread. :D
ssp

Post by ssp »

I know this thread is about good news...but just read about Gagan complaining that he is not happy about being overlooked as one of the best players in the Pakistani super league.
What a 'maoner'...does it matter really. Why don't you let your performances on the ptich talk for themselves?
This is being ungrateful.
India1989

Post by India1989 »

How can we improve Indian hockey? They are not in form.
Hockey_Stik

Post by Hockey_Stik »

Hey ppl,
Am back.. sorry was away for some official work! Well i was following the SHL'05 closely and caught most of the games.
Adrian was declared the 2nd Best Goalie of the touney. great going for him. its been a year of consistent performance from him, and what more he has stood like a wall at such a young age.
Gagan too had a great tournament. his dribblin and clinical finishin was sometimes breathtaking!!!
Dilipbhai as usual was the unnoticed hero.. with those deft tackles and stops!!
Arjun was a star performer too.. his dribbling was good to say the least.
Viren and Sandy could not perform upto their potential due to diff reasons.

What i fail to understand is the performance of Gagan and Arjun. These are the same players whom i hve been cursing for abt a year now. and suddenly they put up such a splendid performace.. guyz what happends when u don the Indian Colours!!!!

I am not a big fan of Gagans but his recent performance was a real eye opener.

As for the Pakistani, i shud say some star playa's were too selfish.. Saqlain, Shakeel, Rehan were sometimes tryin to play the opposite team alone!!!! :-~

The teams have got back to bussiness.. some guyz in Delhi and the rest for commondo training...

Also the Indira Gold Cup starts... lets all c what Indian Hockey has in store for us!!!

Cheers!
~stik

P.S: just noticed.. no Indian playa scored against Adrian....
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

~stik,

Thanks for the information about the Indian players. Adrian is a gem, and has shown tremendous skill and maturity at an early age.

Was the hockey played in Pakistan typical of the ub-continent? Did Gagan and other Indian players do well because they were not playing against European players or the European style of play? Can you tell us more about the tournament? Thanks.