Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by arjun2761 »

India beat New Zealand 4-2 in the first hockey test in Bangalore.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

#5 India should be beating #9 New Zealand, especially at home, but we have had a lot of trouble against NZ over the years. So it is good to see the relatively emphatic win in this first home test against New Zealand.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

India won the second test against NZ quite comfortably too — 3-1, with Rupinderpal (PC), SV Sunil and Nadeep scoring India’s goals. This is beginning to look quite good, albeit on home soil.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

We also won the 3rd test 4-0 to complete a 3 match sweep of NZ.

Encouraging that we could dominate NZ at home although the friendlies are often when teams are experimenting so can't read too much into these results.
ssp

Post by ssp »

One of our greatest players, Sardar Singh has announced his retirement from international hockey. For many years he carried our mediocre teams and although, it's sad to see him go, he has not been at his best for the past 2+ years.

He was dropped from the 25 member squad for the Asian Champions trophy:
http://hockeyindia.org/news/hockey-indi ... -camp.html

Glad to see the return of the 2 Sumits and Jarmanpreet, but frustrating to see Mandeep and Akashdeep retained.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Harendra was let go in January, and now there is rumor (new?) from Netherlands that Graham Reid of Australia will be our next coach. He was fired as the Amsterdam pro team coach last week. That team was doing badly, but the reason for the immediate firing was to let him become the Indian coach, they say.

Is Graham Reid set to become the new coach of Indian men's head coach? (Times of India, Mar 22)
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

Jay, does this guy meet the Jay criteria of qualifications for being the coach of the Indian hockey team?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

He was Australia's head coach from 2014 to 2016 and was an assistant when they won the world cup at The Hague. So, I think he is knowledgeable about modern hockey. Whether he is a good leader, motivator, man manager, I do not know.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Atithee wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:16 pmJay, does this guy meet the Jay criteria of qualifications for being the coach of the Indian hockey team?
Definitely. He does. Podium finish as a player or coach in Olympics/Champions/WorldCup on artificial turf is all I had asked for, earlier. That was an extremely low bar but we weren't willing to hire coaches even with that resume! Now that India has come one notch up to top-6 standards, I've been wondering if I should raise the bar to playing or coaching in the finals of those events, though :) .... He qualifies on that raised criteria too.

Reid had an Olympics podium finish in 1992 (silver) and won the 2016 champions trophy as a head coach (beating India in India in a shootout). He also was the coach in the final of the 2012 champion's trophy, though it was one of those crazy Charlesworth deals where he took himself out as the head coach for that game or something. He seems to be a Charlesworth protege. That is all good, but Australia losing 0-4 to Belgium in the quarterfinal of the 2016 Olympics is a serious black mark in his record. I don't know much else, but as far as I can see, he wouldn't be a bad hire.
ssp

Post by ssp »

Graham Reid has been confirmed as coach:
http://sportscafe.in/articles/hockey/20 ... ockey-team

Any bets on how long he will last? I expect till 2020 Olympics or earlier if we fail to qualify. My advice to HI is to start looking for his replacement ...right now ;)
srini

Post by srini »

India lost their first match working with Graham Reid. They lost 0-4 to Australia after drawing and beating a few local Aussie teams. Haven’t seen the match but reports state that team looked confused in getting adjusted to the new style of play with Reid
ssp

Post by ssp »

We're sending men's and ladies teams to Tokyo for a Olympic test event starting on 17th August.

The men's team has a few newcomers, but my 'favourite' Mandeep remains ...and has been rewarded for his 'performances' by being promoted to vice captain. This beggars belief, when this guy has been so c**p for so long. Yet half a dozen better prospects have been banished. Latest examples of this lunatic policy are Sumit Kumar and Shilanand Lakra. Akashdeep has been 'rested' but no doubt will return to handicap the team when it really matters.

I expect us to lose to NZL in this event. It's what we deserve for having such idiotic people running the show. :damn:
ssp

Post by ssp »

Both our men & women have won the Olympic test events.

Men lost 2-1 to NZL in the pool game, including a last minute goal conceded (how surprising!) but thrashed Malaysia 6-0 & Japan 6-3. In the final, we beat NZL 5-0! That's impressive, given our usual garbage results against them over the last 15+ years. Well done to the team and let's hope that Graham Reid is making a genuine improvement in our play.

The women went undefeated. Pool results were 2-1 v Japan, 2-2 v Australia (experimental Aussie team) & 0-0 v China. In the final, we beat Japan 2-1. Very encouraging from women's team and coaching staff.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Must have been a 3rd string New Zealand team
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Really good results by Indian men and women in this OTE.