Misc. news about Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

Goras
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Misc. news about Indian hockey

Post by Goras »

Indian hockey started to decline during mid 60’s. Strong reason was inclusion of astroturf ground. Those days India was not a rich or powerful economy and thus there was hardly any astroturf ground. This was a trick made by Europeans and other nation to remove India’s dominance. In 1980 did won olympic but due to cold war 4–5 strong hockey nation did not participated in it.

After 1980 to mid 2010 India showed a poor display of hockey skill compared to Aussie, Germans ,dutch and Pakistanis.

Very recently India started to make a rise in hockey. They are now seen as a dangerous side through out the world. Twice Indian reached final in champions trophy and lost due to sheer luck. It's only a matter of time now when India can win a medal in Olympics.
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by prasen9 »

??? We are the holding bronze medalists in Olympic hockey.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India's tour of Australia Match Schedule
26th Nov - 11 a IST
27th Nov - 11 am IST
30th Nov - 1:30 pm IST
03rd Dec - 11 am IST
04th Dec - 11 am IST
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Akashdeep Singh’s hat-trick went in vain as India conceded a last-minute goal to lose 4-5 to Australia in the high-scoring first hockey Test of the five-match series in Adelaide on Saturday.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

For Australia, Lachlan Sharp (5th), Nathan Ephraums (21st), Tom Craig (41st) and Blake Govers (57th, 60th) found the back of the Indian net.

The game looked headed for a 4-4 draw when Govers put the host on top with a last-minute goal.

Australia started on an attacking note and took the lead in the fifth minute, with Sharp slotting home past India custodian PR Sreejesh with his first touch of the match.

The Indians responded within minutes, with Amit Rohidas creating a great move from the left flank, but his ball was intercepted inside the circle by the Australian defence.

Akashdeep equalised for India in the 11th minute after Hardik Singh made a wonderful interception to create the opportunity. Six minutes into the second quarter, Australia restored its lead, courtesy of poor defending from the Indians as they failed to clear a cross and Ephraums got a deflection to put the ball into the net. Akashdeep again came to India’s rescue and scored with a fierce reverse hit in the 27th minute to level the scores.

Just on the stroke of half-time, Australia got a penalty corner, but India’s second goalkeeper Krishan Bahadur Pathak was alert to avert the danger. A minute after the change of ends, Harmanpreet gave India the lead for the first time in the match, scoring from a penalty corner. The Indians then secured back-to-back penalty corners but wasted both. In the 41st minute, the Kookaburras secured another penalty corner, and Craig scored from a rebound after Sreejesh saved the initial drag-flick.

The home team continued to press hard and secured a handful of penalty corners but failed to cash in on the opportunities. India was sloppy on the turf in the last five minutes of the game as Jarmanpreet Singh got an unnecessary green card, leaving his side a man down for the rest of the game.

Australia took full advantage and secured another penalty corner, which was converted by Govers with a powerful flick. But Akashdeep levelled the scores a minute from the final hooter, scoring from a goalmouth melee. However, poor defending from the Indians inside their own circle cost them as Australia earned two more penalty corners, and Govers once again found the net with the second attempt to hand the home team a 1-0 lead in the series.

The second match of the series will be played on Sunday. India comes into the series following the home leg of FIH Pro League 2022-23, where it faced New Zealand and Spain in two matches each.

The Harmanpreet Singh-led side won three games, including one in a shootout, and lost one.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Half time, we are down 4-2......Why our defence is so weak😭😭😭😭😭
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

We lost 7-4..... Disappointing, disgruntling, demoralising, heartbreaking 💢💢
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

We just play an outdated style of hockey, which is rubbish by even old standards. There cannot be a more inept team with our resources. It’s beyond shameful. Don’t know what the appropriate word is. Maybe ssp can tell us.

Our deficiencies are so glaring that even us forum members can see it. Yet, there seems no change whatsoever in our performance. I bet if I were just listening without names on radio, I’d know immediately when india was playing a match. It’s so obvious.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I would really like to hear ssp opinion on this
ssp

Post by ssp »

I really can't bear to watch this garbage anymore. Don't need to watch as I can predict exactly what will happen. Soon as the team names are announced, it's obvious we'll be pathetic. This series was a great opportunity to try out some new players (Pawan Rajbar, Sanjay, Utham Singh etc).

We are miles behind the top 3-4 teams because of: panic in both Ds, poor shot stopping, conceding needless PCs, picking needless cards, terrible decision making all over the pitch, sloppy basic skills (of trapping and passing- which leads to numerous turnovers), poor marking in defence and conceding last minute goals.

7-4 is better than I expected. There are 3 more matches to reach our usual 6-7 goal margins of defeat. The coach will be sacked once we do horribly at the WC, yet the same old failures will be selected. It is very demoralising indeed, given how much money we spend at the top level.
Atithee

Post by Atithee »

You left out the king of them all—mindless aerials. Maybe because it’s our best of the garbage? NOT!!!!
ssp wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:33 am We are miles behind the top 3-4 teams because of: panic in both Ds, poor shot stopping, conceding needless PCs, picking needless cards, terrible decision making all over the pitch, sloppy basic skills (of trapping and passing- which leads to numerous turnovers), poor marking in defence and conceding last minute goals.
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

India beat Australia 4-3.....What a incredible match is was!!!!
I have watched full match....India defence much better this time!!!!
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

Majaa aa gya
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Saffron Lenin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:06 am India beat Australia 4-3.....What a incredible match is was!!!!
I have watched full match....India defence much better this time!!!!
Let me guess. Ssp did not watch the match. Or he started watching, got upset, and left. Viola, we beat Australia :)
Saffron Lenin

Post by Saffron Lenin »

I watch the first match- India was almost equal. We got 5th goal by australia when time is over on pc.
I match second match till 3rd quarter only- as I was too disappointed with the performance 😢
This third match I watch fully!!! India defence today plays as it was another team..... Sreejesh makes some spectacular saves and got man of the match....