Bring in Ric Charlesworth, rejuvenate Indian hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

Post by PKBasu »

Ric Charlesworth, the renaissance man who also happens to have captained Australia to several silver medals in hockey at the Olympics and World Cup -- and coached the Australian women's hockey team to the top of the world -- has been publicly advertising his desire to coach the Indian men's hockey team.
There can be few better candidates to rejuvenate Indian hockey. Charlesworth says there are only two jobs worth having in world hockey -- to coach Australia or India. Since Australia have just won the Olympics, the only remaining challenge to him is to coach India, and restore its past glory. A man of passion (he is a leading medical professional, was captain of Western Australia in cricket, apart from his tremendous exploits in hockey), Charlesworth enormously admires Indian hockey.
It is time for the IHF to take up his standing offer before it is too late...
Were his overtures to be spurned by Gill and the IHF brass, Indian hockey will have nobody to blame but itself for forgoing a wonderful opportunity that has presented itself in the form of one of the most accomplished coaches in the game offering his services to India.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Great PKB congrats for starting "Bring in Ric Charlesworth Movement" ... We all support u whole heartedly for this cause ... Hope our IHF took correct signal from this and do right things accordingly ... Also hoping pouring response for this thread ... Wishing good luck for our Indian Hockey future.

Jaydeep.
david

Post by david »

It will be great to have Ric. But I guess its all over.
IHC decided to go with Rach for CT and Ric cant wait that long. I heard he is going to take up some football assignment.

Contrary to popular opinion payment for RIC is not a problem since the whole bill will be picked up by SAI/Govt.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Here are Ric Charlesworth's achievements after 8 years with the all-conquering Hockeyroos (Australia's women's hockey team):
At the conclusion of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games, Ric Charlesworth had coached the Australian Women’s Hockey Team, the Hockeyroos, for eight years and established himself as arguably Australia’s most successful sporting coach. The Sydney Olympic Hockey final against Argentina was officially Ric Charlesworth's final match with the Hockeyroos. His reign ended having coached them in 253 internationals with a record of 198 wins, 25 draws and 30 losses. This record includes the World Cup in 1994 and 1998 and Gold Medals at the Atlanta and Sydney Olympics and the Commonwealth Games in 1998.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Correcting my first post, Charlesworth also won the hockey World Cup for Australia in 1986, when he was named Player of the tournament.
Here's a more detailed profile of Charlesworth, for those who are still non-believers:
http://www.saxton.com.au/default.asp?nc ... 1&sd8=1080

This is a man who is heavily in demand as a motivational speaker, coach and author. Yet he has been publicly advertising his services to Indian hockey for the past 4 months. We mustn't let this privileged opportunity pass... (although, sadly, David suggests we may already have missed the boat...).
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

I join PKB and other forum members in supporting the campaign to have Ric be the coach of the Indian team.
IHC decided to go with Rach for CT and Ric cant wait that long. I heard he is going to take up some football assignment.
I have a feeling that Ric's heart is in the job of being the Indian hockey team coach and if IHF approaches him with a decent proposal then he will give up other assignments to become the Indian coach.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Here is the link to the official website of Ric Charlesworth.

http://www.riccharlesworth.com.au/
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Call Ric Charlesworth, please, IHF! .. We Rach apologists are having a terrible time trying to justify this experiment.

Jay
Get on with it, IHF!!
david

Post by david »

Today Ric was brilliant. His comments on the Indians and their game really shows that his heart is with India. And he desperately needs a team like India to prove himself again and to prove to the world that India are very much capable of beating the world again.
Unlike yesterday, his enlightning comments today were bang on target. Very good understanding of the Indian game.

Go guys get him fast.
INDIA NEEDS RIC.
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

Ric can take over the Indian team running after having seen the team perform in Lahore where he is the commentator.

Put Ric on the team bus when the players return to India, and put Rach on the plane to Germany. I will pay for Rach's air fare to Germany if Ric will become the Indian team coach right after CT04.
david

Post by david »

``I cannot recollect a team winning CT after losing two matches'' was the comment today.

Hopefully, there will be light at the end of the tunnel and the saving grace would be a new coach for India. And HOPEFULLY RIC will be here.

But if India manages bronze IHF is capable of extending contract without a contract....
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

India need Ric to and Ric require India to show the world that he is still good in business ... But difference is, Ric already proved himself with his amazing record with Women and Men Australian team ... But India struggling almost last 30 years (1980 gold medal is no show for me) to show desirable result ... So its high time to use experimental coach than use world reknowned coach ... Somebody top in IHF please hear our voice and bring Ric as our coach.

Jaydeep.
gbelday

Post by gbelday »

Yeah!! lets go!! IHF act on it!! lets get back India to those glory days (i guess they were before I was born!!)

Rach has been sacked!!
http://us.rediff.com/sports/2004/dec/13hock.htm
BSharma
Authors
Authors

Post by BSharma »

It is time for IHF to get Ric or someone of his caliber.

The ball is in IHF's court (or in its half of the field).
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Yes that was the news that 'IHF revealed that Rach's sacking is just formality and German coach knows that ... Rach even admitted to TNN that, "Jothikumaran had called me and told me that the Sports Ministry did not like my work."

But today Gill told to media that was wrong information, IHF still doesn't decided on Rach's fate ... He is still Indian coach ... Today (or tomorrow) they r having meeting with Rach and then they will decide anything on that ... :(

Jaydeep.