Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

A forum to discuss Indian hockey and the disarray it is in despite the promising new professional PHL series.

Moderator: Moderators

ssp

Re: Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

Post by ssp » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:03 am

Assuming we get into the quarter finals, I don't fancy our chances against any of the opponents at that stage. GB are potentially beatable, but we tend to do badly against them when it really matters. They also tend to get the most favourable umpiring decisions of all ;).

The Pro League will be a good indicator of how we match up against the best teams. I'm hoping Reid can make some improvements to our play.

I'd be delighted if our women get into the quarter finals....and do something amazing from there. They have come a long way in the past 3-4 years.

srini

Re: Tokyo Olympic 2020 - Hockey

Post by srini » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:01 pm

suresh wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:23 am
srini wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 am
Let me try to predict the Quarters linep.

Group A : Australia, Japan, India, NZ in that order.
Group B : Belgium, Great Britain, Netherlands and Germany in that order.
Japan (WR15) ahead of India (WR5) and NZ (WR9)? Does that have something to do with home cooking?
My predictions are in line with these teams latest performances and world rankings do not seem responsive enough for these spikes or dips in performance of teams.Let’s not forget Japan are the current continental champions and could have got the quota booked even if they hadn’t hosted the Olympics.

One more interesting observation is all three medalists of Asian games ( including India) didn’t participate in the FIH Pro league and there is dip in performance of all the European teams which did. Makes me believe too much of exposure to competition seems to be working adversely for teams, it may be due to burn out resulting from competing at highest level for an extended time and may also be due to giving out most of their strategies during these competition to video analysts of opponent nations.

Now if we come to think India will also join and start their Pro league season we shouldn’t be surprised if it pulls them back to their usual mediocrity. And Japan not being part of the league will continue to hold the edge of not revealing their strategies while being able to track every other team they would compete with in their group in olympics