Moderator: Moderators

jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

World Cup qualifying draw

Post by jayakris »

well, as posted in other threads (we had a chat session also, with live commentary from India), 1-0 India won with a 49th min score by Renedy Singh.

Jay
nnipp

Post by nnipp »

Great win! I wish India could have scored more goals at home. And why didn't Tomba Singh start? I guess he wasn't 100%.
SaniaFan

World Cup qualifying draw

Post by SaniaFan »

Goal was scored by a penalty awarded when baichung provided a splitting pass to aseem biswas who was brought down in the penalty area .
prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: World Cup qualifying draw

Post by prasen9 »

The U.S. failed to qualify to the World Cup. Perhaps not a big news in the rest of the world. But, locally, it is. Trinidad beat the U.S. 2-1. If I recall correctly, India actually was competitive with Trinidad a while ago. US #28 FIFA rankings, ELO #32.

Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama qualified. Honduras will play some other continental team to see if they can qualify.

Iran, South Korea qualified. Japan, Saudi, and Australia qualified.

Tunisia, Nigeria, Morocco, Egypt, and Senegal qualified.

Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Columbia qualified. Chile out. Peru to play Honduras, I think. In the FIFA rankings, Child is #9, ELO thinks they are #15 :-)

I have been lazy though and did not check which dates the FIFA rankings were done and which date the ELO rating was.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I think Australia play Honduras to qualify.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

So, Argentina finally qualified. It seemed in danger of missing out.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Australia hasn't qualified, and they need to play Honduras. Everything that needed to go wrong for US went wrong today. They would have played Australia in a playoff between CONCACAF and AFC, had they tied their match. Had US won, they would have qualified straight as the third team from the conference. Unbelievable that they lost to Trinidad, the 11th ranked team in CONCACAF at FIFA #99. (prasen, it was the 14th ranked CONCACAF team, St. Kitts, that we had a draw against, recently. India played Trinidad last in 2011 and lost 3-0, and the only other time we played them was in 1984 when we won 3-1).
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Whom does Peru play? An European team?
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Peru plays New Zealand.

Bruce Arena sucks.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

jayakris wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am Australia hasn't qualified, and they need to play Honduras. Everything that needed to go wrong for US went wrong today. They would have played Australia in a playoff between CONCACAF and AFC, had they tied their match. Had US won, they would have qualified straight as the third team from the conference. Unbelievable that they lost to Trinidad, the 11th ranked team in CONCACAF at FIFA #99. (prasen, it was the 14th ranked CONCACAF team, St. Kitts, that we had a draw against, recently. India played Trinidad last in 2011 and lost 3-0, and the only other time we played them was in 1984 when we won 3-1).
Just out of curiosity, where do you get India's old results? I know some sources but which one is reliable?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

rajitghosh wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 pmJust out of curiosity, where do you get India's old results? I know some sources but which one is reliable?
Basically google :) ... I don't know if any site is reliable though. I have kept the data for the last 14 years myself.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think the ELO ratings site has it. India's matches since the 1930's. In 1984, there were 3 matches. We won the first one 2-1 and then lost the next two 0-3 in Trinidad & Tobago.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

prasen9 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pmI think the ELO ratings site has it. India's matches since the 1930's.
Ah... I was just trying to remember where I had seen the oldest of the matches. The ELO page.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am Australia hasn't qualified, and they need to play Honduras. Everything that needed to go wrong for US went wrong today. They would have played Australia in a playoff between CONCACAF and AFC, had they tied their match. Had US won, they would have qualified straight as the third team from the conference. Unbelievable that they lost to Trinidad, the 11th ranked team in CONCACAF at FIFA #99. (prasen, it was the 14th ranked CONCACAF team, St. Kitts, that we had a draw against, recently. India played Trinidad last in 2011 and lost 3-0, and the only other time we played them was in 1984 when we won 3-1).
I believe the US would have been a clear 3rd on goal difference had they tied the TT game and would have been an automatic qualifier (and would not have been in the playoff).

Even with a loss, they would have been in the playoff if either Honduras or Panama did not win against the higher ranked Mexico and Costa Rica, respectively. Of course, quite conveniently both the higher ranked teams lost.

Overall, the blame though lies in the player selections and tactics of the jaded coach, Bruce Arena who went with too many aging, slower players and paid the price.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

You're right about the points thing. US just needed one more goal (or for Tim Howard to not allow two easy goals). I don't know why Guzan wasn't the goalie. Bruce Arena is terrible in player selections, and that is why USA is not making it. They shouldn't have fired Klinsmann, to start with. To go to this washed up guy was a colossal mistake.