General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

kabaddi
Please enter the middle number: 1

How to improve Indian Football

Post by kabaddi »

kabaddi wrote:ANYONE?
anything new about Ranvir Singh from the USA
i read about Ranvir trying out for a new MLS expansion team in LA (Chivas)
not sure wether he made the team or not, i think they were looking for more spanish speaking players
95% of those registered for the tryout were Latino and 90% of those were of Mexican descent
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

i wish i knew kabaddi, but unfortunately i havent read anything either. i'm pulling for him myself...he seemed like a good guy. hopefully he will try out once again for the national team.
nnipp

Post by nnipp »

It seems the next national team action is in the upcoming series of friendlies in Pakistan sometime in January. Right now the Indian team is set to play 3 friendlies in Pakistan but the Pakistanis want to change it to 5 matches so that there can be a match in all 5 major cities. I think 5 matches against the same team would definitely be overkill and I don't think our national team has anything to really benefit from playing all of these matches. The Pakistani officials have to understand that this is not a Cricket test series and I think taking a 5 match tour is alot of time to spend in an unsafe country. We should have just scheduled one match to promote the peace process and it would have been enough. India will gain nothing in ranking by beating up on Pakistan and can only lose standing in case of a freak draw or loss. I can't remember the last time the senior national team played in Pakistan.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

5?? Even 3 is too much...at the most 2 matches a gainst Pak should suffice. One in India and one in Pak perhaps. It's things like this that piss me off. I'm all for improving friendship with Pak, but shouldnt we be asking to play friendlies against countries better than us?
We should ask top asian countries, like Iran, Korea, China etc and schedule friendlies against them...not wholly inferior countries.
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

amr090 wrote:5?? Even 3 is too much...at the most 2 matches a gainst Pak should suffice.
i strongly agree with what amr says. this is not cricket where we need to play more than a couple of games against the same team .... the only way we can benefit form playing the same team again and again is if the opponents are far better than us
nnipp

Post by nnipp »

I was reading about the Indian Basketball team which is doing well in the FIBA Stankovic Cup, even beating South Korea. Apparently S. Robinson ( the best Indian player and among the best in Asia) used to play football. "Robin who started his sports career as football player for St. Xaviers School, Surat and was forced to shift the game due to lack of 13 Size Football Spikes! " If only he had been able to get the proper spikes, we could have had a Jan Koller on our national team. At 6'8" and very athletic ( came in second in the Asian All-Star Slam dunk competition) he could have been a huge target at striker or central defender. This guy doesn't get enough publicity in India but he puts up monster all around numbers in international competitions and plays professionally for Farsh Mashad, one of the top basketball teams in Iran.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

yeah nnipp i just read that same thing too. India just upset korea with robinson "dominating the koreans and scoring 36" according to www.fiba.com the international basketball federation. the article goes onto say that Korea "had no clue how to stop robinson, who went on to score from an array of dunks, fadeaways, finger rolls, and layups" this just further makes me believe tere is such untapped talent in india. imagine if this guy was playing soccer.

off topic but nice to see an indian shining
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

This article came on the East Bengal website:

http://eastbengal.sports-india.com/pk_23nov.htm

I feel like this website is anti-constantine and some of this comments in the article are too strong but it does have some good points. Like if East Bengal can do well in the asian club tournaments then why national team cant do the same? It also says how even Iraq and some poor countries have less facilities than India but still do well. If India can do well (maybe not great) in cricket, basketball, kabaddi, boxing, tennis, hockey of course India has good strong men playng sport
nnipp

Post by nnipp »

The only benefit of having Bhowmick as the coach of our national team is that he won't be coaching East Bengal anymore. This guy shows that he cares nothing for the national team by running the national players that he has in is ranks into the ground and not releasing them for National training camps. He also continually fills his squad with second rate foreigners ( Then again most NFL teams do this.
O.T
Just to prove that all of these foreign signings are doing nothing to improve the NFL. Look at Mahindra United who made the high profile signing of Asamogha who has played for the Ghanian national team. He was awful in his first match at the Fed Cup while Indian striker Abhisek Yadav was great and scored two goals. If you read Asamogha 's comments when he signed, he was acting like he was doing India a favor by signing with Mahindra rather than accepting offers from better leagues. Lets see if he can live up to his own hype. Young Indian players need playing time and the fact that every Indian club has foreign strikers is not helping.
murlikt

Post by murlikt »

Cool thats interesting, maybe Asamogha does not understand Indian football is not so small and has good players? Actually East Bengal has only 3-4 foriegn players and the new forward Paolo Silva is doing a lot for the club, but still the rest of their team is Indian. What im saying is East Bengal has done well and gave the Indian players good facilities and took them to England, Asia cup so maybe thats why East Bengal do well and national team is ranked 140.

Bhowmick must have some problem with the AIFF, you can see it in his interview (on the website) but i think maybe he thinks he can do more for his players in East Bengal than AIFF can because of his trainers, facilities.
If he wants to help India he should let them play as many national matches so they can improve (like match in Kuwait). I dont think its bad if he coaches India because he has done well with East Bengal and has played for India before but maybe also he will choose Bengali players before other Indians?
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

the point murli isn't that most of the team is indian, the point is that on all these teams the STRIKERS are indian. indias largest problem which is preventing them from success is the lack of finishing ability. their midfield and defensive play aren't too bad, perhaps even close to asian standards. but if you cant score you can't win. and india has nobody who can do that. bhutia is triple makred wherever he goes and is essentially a non factor...i cant even remember the last time he scored an international goal. unless we get quality INDIAN strikers developed indian football will go nowhere.
vkd_1717

Post by vkd_1717 »

well strikers are useless if your are going to give away 7 goals in a match (japan7-india0).... most youngsters intrested in football are looking to be strikers but the midfield is the most important part of play, they do the main work support defenders, keep most possession and create chances for strikers

ps im not saying we dont need strikers, we need 11 quality players to play in 11 positions of the field
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

agreed 11 players are key, but i honestly think our midfield and defense isnt all that bad....i mean its no big deal to give up 7 goals to japan..theyre the best team in asia...but at least it would be encouraging if we scored 2-3 goals on them.

our midfield and defense facilitate but if u read the papers, most of our problems lie in finishing i cant tell u how many times ive read that a striker messed up a nice cross, or pass from a midfielder. we could get bigger and more athletic at defense, but i dont think our goalkeeping is too bad.

i still feel the most pressing need is defense. underconstantine most of our matches have been close. we los t1-0 to singapore for crying out loud...we cant even score 2 goals on singapore??
jorden390

not the players the coaching tactics and choice of squad

Post by jorden390 »

hi from the very beginning till now ive been saying its not what we think!!

constantine is not a coach for indian or any asian or latin american side
his thought and beliefs do not suit asian or latin amerian ways and ideas and thinkings

major prob with constantine is his choice of players
he keeps talking about brute force and physical football which we all belie is not football culture

tAll PLAYER FACTOR now we all know we Indian people are not too tall rather half of asia isnt tall leaving exceptions like koreans and arabs and the chinese national team

bringng taller players is not a solution ,steven had left out soo many brilliant ,skilful and determined players for taller players who havent really put a football in india.

it is said after he saw what japan did to us his idea of taller players hav changed

he had refused to change his tactics which cost us very dearly..i wished he never experimented in world cup qualifiers

the recent kuwait and oman games our team had short player yes i mean players below 5feet 9 and what a show they displayed

what we need is a coach ready to change tactocs and methods according to current situation not a stubborn oah who wants it all his way

what if he was coach of bolovia? and criticsing ther height & financial abilities? he wud have be murdered by now.
amr090
Authors
Authors

Post by amr090 »

jorden...if your team is made up of players under 5'9 u cant really beat anybody, i don't care who your coach is. on every team there has to be a blend of athleticism, skill and size. ideally you'd want 11 players to have all 3 aspects in them. right now india is lacking in all 3 areas. they need to focus on finding scorers and developing them. i think the nfl should cut down its foriegner limit to 1. i tihnk its currently at 3? also they sould place some kind of rule like all strikers must be of indian origin. unless they do something like this clubs will continue to import talent and indian players will never imporve at the position.