2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ Japan has put every one on notice with their performances so far.

And they (Japan) owe it Two... Two defining moments which made all of this possible...

1. The last 20 minutes against Germany

2. Mitoma clearing the ball inches from the line against Spain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www3.nhk.o ... 6/amp.html
srini

Post by srini »

That ball clearing by Mitoma actually helped me understand the rule about when the ball would still be considered to be in play. Seems its not the bottom of the ball but the curvature of the ball to be within the line to be in play. Clearly the bottom of ball was out from all possible angles...but Fifa video referee thought the curvature of ball was within line. Heartening to see no discriminations made against Asian team here, in a hockey equivalent of it if India were playing the decision would surely have gone against us :p
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Not only the clearance but the immaculate cross was even better.

And yes heartening to see FIFA video guys being fair in their judgment, otherwise that blatant cheating incident by the Brits in denying the Germans a clear goal in the 66 WC is still fresh in my mind.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Rajiv wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:54 am otherwise that blatant cheating incident by the Brits in denying the Germans a clear goal in the 66 WC is still fresh in my mind.
This controversial decision as viewed by the refree could be interpreted as , the straight goal line but the spot where the ball landed after hitting the top bar the line made a "U turn" when the ball was touching the ground and then again became a straight line. :-) :-)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, the VAR technology has been excellent. Much better than the instant (human) review in American football which still makes some iffy decisions. The Japan ball was "not out" by only millimeters (less than a centimeter quite probably). But it was rather clear to me from the video and all pictures that the right edge of the curve was "in" by a centimeter. Knowing that it is a grass field and that the edge of line itself may have millimeter level inaccuracies and thinking of triangulating things perfectly in space over such a big playing area, I have to say that the technology is terrific. I wonder what the pixel accuracy of HQ videos are, when it is a picture of a ball some 50 yards from a camera. I assume they triangulate the position from multiple cameras (I haven't read the details of the technology).

There was also that finger-tip call on an offside the day before. Only a centimeter of the finger of the player was in front of the defender rushing up to him. But his finger was indeed ahead, as we could see. I wouldn't have expected the technology to get correct decisions with 5 millimeter type accuracy.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

How about Korea!!!!! What a peach of a goal with just a couple of minutes left to advance!!!

USA, KOR, JPN, ARG, ESP, BRA, AUS were my preferred order of support. I am feeling great!!!!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Feel so bad about the Ghanaian's missing out, goofed it up with a feeble penalty kick in the opening minutes.

Anyway... Korea diluted that pain.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

jayakris wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:00 pm There was also that finger-tip call on an offside the day before. Only a centimeter of the finger of the player was in front of the defender rushing up to him. But his finger was indeed ahead, as we could see. I wouldn't have expected the technology to get correct decisions with 5 millimeter type accuracy.
The offside rule is based on the football playing part being onside or offside. Therefore, the arms/hands/fingers are generally not considered in offside analysis. Or did you mean the finger on the foot?
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^^ I was reporting something I saw in a news article yesterday with a picture. I need to go find out what the details were. Can't remember which match it was in!

So what exactly is the offside rule. No part of the body except the arm/hands can be ahead of the defenders? Is any part of the defender's body ok in this (maybe I read the news wrong, and they were talking about the defenders fingertips being ahead (and thus it was NOT offside)?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^ I think that is correct.

FIFA's rule on what is an offside position:

A player is in an offside position if:
any part of the head, body or feet is in the opponents’ half (excluding the halfway line) and
any part of the head, body or feet is nearer to the opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent
The hands and arms of all players, including the goalkeepers, are not considered. For the purposes of determining offside, the upper boundary of the arm is in line with the bottom of the armpit.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

What a fabulous 24 hours for Asian football! First Japan beat Spain (adding to their stunning win over Germany earlier) to top their group, after that drama over the pass from the back line to Ao Tanaka. Then Son Heung-min assisted both goals (in an otherwise quiet World Cup for him) to take South Korea into the last 16 as well. Glorious!!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It was a bit irritating to see Brazil put up a 2nd XI for the match against Cameroon. They didn't need to win it, but surely they should have given it a better shot.

Anyway, I had the huge pleasure of seeing Brazil at their best in the opener against Serbia. The first half was like a chess game, where the defensive tactics of Serbia sucked Brazil into playing similarly -- and attempting to score only off counter-attacks, two of them missed by Neymar (the second a truly feeble effort unbecoming of one of the greats of contemporary football). In the second half, though, Brazil came alive brilliantly, attacking from the start (although I missed the first 3 minutes as I was buying foodstuffs for the wife and daughter, and took time to get back to my seat :( ). But the swarm after swarm of Brazilian attacks were magnificent to see, and inevitably resulted in the first goal, created by Vini and Neymar, but slotted in eventually by Richarlison. And then of course came Richarlison's moment of magic -- an utterly sublime bicycle kick (or perhaps we should call it a side-scissor kick) to find the top right of the Serbian net (top left for the striker). Absolute magic! And worth all the effort and expense of getting to Qatar for that one game!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

So the last-16 line-up is:

Holland vs USA
Argentina vs Australia
Japan vs Croatia
Brazil vs Korea
France vs Poland
England vs Senegal
Morocco vs Spain
Portugal vs Switzerland
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

PKBasu wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:22 am And then of course came Richarlison's moment of magic -- an utterly sublime bicycle kick (or perhaps we should call it a side-scissor kick) to find the top right of the Serbian net (top left for the striker). Absolute magic!
Richarlison had nothing to do with it..
It's the Yellow Brazil jersey which made it happen .
Whoever dons it comes up with such magic :p :D :D
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Actually, you have a very good point. Richarlison is an also-ran in the Tottenham Hotspur team, outshone by Harry Kane and Son Heung-min. But he came alive in they yellow Brazil jersey -- totally outshining anything Harry Kane has done for England.