2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by arjun2761 »

Arguably the US should have won both their matches so far. However, they are lacking a good striker, so will need to score against Iran. I don’t doubt that they have more quality than Iran who will likely sit back like Wales and look to attack on the counter against the US.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ True, US needs a good striker. But somebody or other coming through with a goal has been USA's style for a while anyway.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Well the US finally scored a goal to win a match and beat Iran 1-0 to qualify for the R-16. Up next is the Netherlands. The US has the quality to match Netherlands but the issue with them is to find a goal somehow....
HarvyF

Post by HarvyF »

Asian teams have really started with a bang in this world cup.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

arjun2761 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:52 pm Arguably the US should have won both their matches so far. However, they are lacking a good striker, so will need to score against Iran. I don’t doubt that they have more quality than Iran who will likely sit back like Wales and look to attack on the counter against the US.
The US are playing well but a draw was the fair result against England as was the draw against Wales (US tired out in that game after starting brightly).
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

I am impressed by the US team. Extremely young team. Guys like Musah, Tyler Adams, Sargent, and McKenney are really talented. There were some samba skills that Musah was showing that shocked me. The guy is only 20. Weah, Sargent, McKinney are just 22. Adams is only 23. Pulisic is the "old guy" now. But he and McKenney are just 24. I think we will see Gio Reyna (also just 20) in the next match, and he is another real talent. This team is going to be there for the next world cup too. Watch out for them. The mid-field is very good. And as always, US has one of the best goal-keepers around too. I won't be surprised at all if they get past Netherlands and make the QF to face ARG or AUS.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^Agree. I think they can easily match up with Netherlands all over the field. The only weakness of the team is that they don't have a good striker (and aren't particularly good off the set plays either) and so they don't score as many goals as they should.

Against Wales they had 67-33 possession and 30-6 dangerous attacks in the first half and then went into defensive mode after they had the lead which they don't do well (as they also showed against Iran also). Their strength is their speed and athleticism at virtually all positions with decent skill, so they have to keep being aggressive and outrunning their opponents. As soon as they sit back, they don't quite have the subtle skills and craft of England or perhaps even Netherlands. If they can score, they could definitely get past anyone in this tournament.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Germany is knocked out, and Spain were on the brink, #2 Belgians also are shown the exit door.

What total mayhem at this World Cup - see saw battle if there was ever one.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Who is your favorite to win the cup this time?

Looking at the games so far mine is Brazil.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

^^^ Brazil looking increasingly likely to take the crown.

And the English the dark horses who perinially fall short at the final hurdle, but this time for the English to succeed, depends entirely on Southgate and his game plan for every ensuing matches.
rajitghosh

Post by rajitghosh »

Won't be surprised if Portugal spring a surprise.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Brazil look like the best team. England and France seem like the next best. I think the winner will come from one of these 3. The US is one of the 7 undefeated teams so far!
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Yes USA has a clean sheet for the first time since the 30's & The Dutch have never been eliminated in the group stages before.

And one of these records will be broken after the USA/Dutch encounter.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

^^ Actually the USA-NED match is in the final-16, so the Dutch will be eliminated (haha, I am predicting) but after the group stage :)
srini

Post by srini »

Rajiv wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:30 am Germany is knocked out, and Spain were on the brink, #2 Belgians also are shown the exit door.

What total mayhem at this World Cup - see saw battle if there was ever one.
Bound to happen with so many piddly european nations getting VIP quota to play for cup. But need to see how much of this mayhem translates into more nations from Africa and Asian making it into deep knockout stages. Actually 2022 is the last cup with 32 teams and from 2026 we have 48 teams qualified to play for the cup. About 9 countries from Africa and 8 from Asia in 26. The deepest any asian or african nation went in knockouts was in 2002 when S Korea made it to Semis.