2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

PKBasu
Please enter the middle number: 1

2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by PKBasu »

We had a thread for 2018, so it's surely time to start one for 2022, with 10 days to go before it starts.

I have 3 tickets for the Brazil-Serbia match on 24th November. Purchased (paid for) from a site called Viagogo (in the UK) that seemed almost official. But the tickets were delivered finally only a few days ago, so I have to scramble to get my visa and hotels sorted out. I had intended to buy tickets for a couple more matches, but chose not to once the probability of receiving even the first set of tickets was looking uncertain. Anyway, I've been a fan of Brazilian football ever since I read Pele's autobiography when I was about 10. So getting to watch them live is going to be a thrill.

Anybody else going to Qatar? It is a very short flight from India. I went to 3 matches in the Korea-Japan World Cup in 2002. Twenty years later, it is nice to have another World Cup in Asia, this time even closer to India.
PKBasu

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by PKBasu »

Just clarifying: I bought my ticket in April, finally received it in the mail last weekend. 3 cheers to Viagogo!

Brazil seems to have a very strong team this time, not just Neymar. I think they are favourites. Any other opinions?
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I have always liked Brazil’s style of play, so will be rooting for them to do well.

Also hopefully USMNT does well as they have a talented team with most of their top players playing in the top 5 European leagues. Also US clubs (I.e., MLS) have 36 players in the WC which is 6th most after the big 5 European leagues. So more than from the Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian leagues who are often considered better leagues but it looks like MLS is closing the gap which should help the US get even better for the next World Cup at their home.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ Those are good stats. I remember the days of the 1994 World Cup in the US, when there were hardly any football-only fields in the US. Not a single world cup game was played at a regular football field. The final was at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, which is an American Football stadium, though it is a really picturesque stadium. I saw my only World Cup game ever there, too. USA losing 0-1 to Romania. USA had tied Switzerland 1-1 at Pontiac Silver Dome in Michigan, and upset Colombia 2-1 at the Rose Bowl before that loss that I saw. Andres Escobar of Colombia got shot dead on return to home country for scoring a self-goal against USA which basically eliminated the country. US advanced to the final 16, while being the lowest ranked team (and only lost to winners Brazil 0-1).

The MLS league itself started only a couple of years after that, but the World Cup did bring some football awareness in the U.S. USA football has come a very long way.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

arjun2761 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:01 am So more than from the Dutch, Portuguese, Belgian leagues who are often considered better leagues
It's a case of quantity over quality.
Nevertheless it makes a strong case for Bragging Rights.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Stunning upset at the WC where Saudis shock the favourites Argentina and reminds me of 2002 when S.Korea shocked the Italian's with the same scoreline.

Argies started in an overconfident mood while the Saudi's had nothing to loose, and the Saudi GK was simply spectacular, saved 2/3 certain shots and their defence also bottled up Messi well who seems to have lost his fabled trademark speed.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Stunning upset at the WC where Saudis shock the favourites Argentina and reminds me of 2002 when S.Korea shocked the Italian's with the same scoreline.

Argies started in an overconfident mood while the Saudi's had nothing to loose, and the Saudi GK was simply spectacular, saved 2/3 certain shots and their defence also bottled up Messi well who seems to have lost his fabled trademark speed.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

From my experience , the most popular club where i live , they are patterned after english football. They spent 40 minutes focussing on drills, playing 5-10 minutes of scrimmage for kids that are 7-8 years old. This may be a one off, but my instinct is that US development clubs also have more quantity over quality

Ideally not a great time for soccer world cup. This is probably the first time since 1982 that I have hardly followed world cup news.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yeah, I just can't seem to get too excited. Maybe because it is in Qatar, and I don't like Qatar much :)
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Asian teams have really started with a bang in this world cup. After Suadi upsetting Argentina, yesterday Japan beat Germany 2-1 which was a huge upset too. Today Korea play against Uruguay. I guess that will be a close match too.
Sin Hombre

Post by Sin Hombre »

Rajiv wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:37 pm Argies started in an overconfident mood while the Saudi's had nothing to loose, and the Saudi GK was simply spectacular, saved 2/3 certain shots and their defence also bottled up Messi well who seems to have lost his fabled trademark speed.
Lots of cliches here. Argentina played pretty well and didn't convert chances. And the Saudis hardly created anything.

Football is a game of high variance but if Argentina continue to create as many chances, they'll be fine.

As per xG,
Germany (3.53) 1-2 (1.33) Japan
Argentina (2.27) 1-2 (0.14) Saudi Arabia
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

True, but I guess Argentina and Germany will have to win both their remaining group matches now to qualify for last 16. Not that difficult but not easy too.

Korea drew 0-0 with Uruguay yesterday.
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Asian nations continue to do well. Iran beats Wales 2-0. USA had earlier drawn with Wales. So, if USA loses to England today it will be tough for them to qualify it seems.
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Netherlands & Equador play out an exciting 1 all draw, a match where the South Americans bit unlucky not to win , and surely would have been declared the winners had this match were to have been decided on the boxing points system.

And with this draw Qatar makes the fastest exit of a host and now is out of the WC.
Easy come.. Easy go.. ;)
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

sameerph wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:38 pm Asian nations continue to do well. Iran beats Wales 2-0. USA had earlier drawn with Wales. So, if USA loses to England today it will be tough for them to qualify it seems.
Well, USA tied with England. They have to beat Iran, and I am rather sure that they will. They are not India, and Iran ain't playing volleyball :)