Holland vs USA
Argentina vs Australia
Japan vs Croatia
Brazil vs Korea
France vs Poland
England vs Senegal
Morocco vs Spain
Portugal vs Switzerland
So, Brazil stands in Asia's path. First Korea (in the last-16) then Japan (in the QF) will have to overcome Brazil to advance to the SF. The Netherlands are relatively uninspiring, so USA have a decent chance to win that match. Argentina will probably advance to a SF with Brazil.

In the bottom half, France vs England will be a delicious QF. Morocco vs Spain has 1300 years of history going in (the 'Moors' were Umayyad Arabs, but their soldiers were mainly Berbers and Arabs from Morocco when they conquered Spain in 711, ruling southern Spain until 1492 and most of the rest of Spain for 400 years; after the re-conquest, Spain captured several enclaves in Morocco which it still controls, and Morocco's last bastion in Spain -- Gibraltar -- eventually was captured not by Spain but by Britain). Then either Morocco or Spain vs Portugal would also have centuries of history going in (the Moors ruled Portugal too, and the latter battled the Spaniards for centuries as well).

What is really interesting, though, is that there are three 'Asian' (AFC-member) teams in the last 16, but just two Latin Americans. Morocco and Senegal represent Africa, and Tunisia was unlucky not to make it despite beating the holders France.
Rajiv
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup - Qatar

Post by Rajiv »

In the last 16, expect wins for the Europeans,South Americans and France,Portugal in the all European clash.

It's the Netherlands /USA battle which is tough to call and feel the Americans can scrape through or will make the task extremely difficult for the Dutch who really will have to play out if their skin to earn a victory.

For the Americans their midfield is grabbing a lot of attention with that Musa Guy in the limelight .
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Relative to the allocated spots per federation AFC did best.

3 qualifiers (from groups) out of 4.5 spots. Of course, Australia converted the 0.5 and Qatar got b in as hosts. Even 3 out of 6 was excellent.

CONMEBOL has only 2 qualifiers from 4.5 spots.

UEFA has 8 out of 13.

Africa has 2 out of 5.

CONCACAF dissapointed with 1 out of 3.5.

Not sure why Oceania gets 0.5 spots now that Australia is in the AFC. They should just merge it with AFC.
srini

Post by srini »

arjun2761 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:48 am Relative to the allocated spots per federation AFC did best.

3 qualifiers (from groups) out of 4.5 spots. Of course, Australia converted the 0.5 and Qatar got b in as hosts. Even 3 out of 6 was excellent.

CONMEBOL has only 2 qualifiers from 4.5 spots.

UEFA has 8 out of 13.

Africa has 2 out of 5.

CONCACAF dissapointed with 1 out of 3.5.

Not sure why Oceania gets 0.5 spots now that Australia is in the AFC. They should just merge it with AFC.
Then UEFA is best right? More than 50% qualified!

By the way, I think AFC would have done better if Iran weren’t mired with political unrest back home which affected their game due to fans not supporting the national team
srini

Post by srini »

Sorry, i only looked at 3 out of 6 for AFC i re-read the original 3 out of 4.5 and get it now! I guess this makes case for increasing the quota further for AFC.
srini

Post by srini »

Was rooting for USA( actually for all the teams I consider as underdogs) and pretty disappointed so far :-(
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

US defence is like indian hockey team"s defence. Gaping holes.
srini

Post by srini »

srini wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:26 pm Was rooting for USA( actually for all the teams I consider as underdogs) and pretty disappointed so far :-(
Quota for CONCACAF should be scrapped and combined with CONEMBOL ( South America) those 3 appalling nations keep returning to play for cup without any tangible improvement
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

^^^^
Football wise combining CONCACAF + CONMEBOL with 8 spots could make sense as Colombia (for example) is likely better than Costa Rica. However, another part of the whole process is growing the sports market and these are both massive sports markets. The entire OFC, on the other hand, is smaller than a mid-tier US city (for example, Seattle) in terms of GDP, so keeping them separate makes no sense from either a football perspective or from the sports market perspective.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

There should be no quota. Just use the rankings and have people play qualifications based on some reasonable groupings.

I did think that the U.S. was being overhyped. Although I wanted the U.S. to win, their lack of pedigree or experience so to say came through. The Dutch just have played many more such situations and play regularly in high-quality leagues. They showed their class.

I think it is also a bit shallow to call a team good or bad based on just three group matches where they may have had different calculus. This world cup has also shown that the gap between the teams is not that much, and who will play how on a certain day varies a lot.

Good luck to all the teams left.

I typically support Brazil. But, not anymore after the Bolsonaro puppet Neymar although their coach and some of the other guys are more sane.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

USA's inxeperience clearly showed today (though their skills and potential also did). How many times can you leave people unmarked to score? Pulisic missing that sitter at the start was a sign of things to come. Anyway, I will wait for the proverbial "next time" on this USA team with so many young talents. Not their day today. They missed Sargent badly and Tyler Adams got bottled up pretty well. The Dutch did their job in style. Superb defense and goalkeeping from them. And they converted 3 of just about 5 or 6 good chances they had.
Kumar
Authors
Authors

Post by Kumar »

Is this the year of Dutch?
I have a feeling that Brazil could get knocked out in round of 16 by south korea. Just looks pretty ordinary.

I have a feeling that Morocco and Japan could surprise
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

^^^ We feel such things every now and then, but generally none of that happens in football world cups. 3 or 4 of the usual teams (BRA, ARG, ENG, GER, FRA, ESP, NED, etc) will be in the SF in the end :)

Like Gary Lineker said, "Football is a simple game. 22 guys chase after a ball for 90 minute, and in the end the Germans win" :)

But then again, Germany is out. And 2018 didn't go according to that script either. So who knows this time!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kumar wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:43 pm Is this the year of Dutch?
I have a feeling that Brazil could get knocked out in round of 16 by south korea. Just looks pretty ordinary.

I have a feeling that Morocco and Japan could surprise
The second goal that Australia conceded to Argentina was absolutely juvenile. An amateur would be ashamed of the goalkeeping error made by the Aussie goalie, resulting in a simple goal. Also Australia kept playing defensively even after going down 0-2. But they suddenly came alive in the final 10 minutes, scored a goal and came perilously close to another one just before the final whistle.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

Kylian Mbappe is turning into the hero of this World Cup, just as he shone in the final of the last one in 2018. Two terrific goals from him today, the second one absolutely sublime in its power and placement. (He is 7 years younger than Neymar, who is 7 years younger than Messi; why does PSG want all 3??).