2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

Prashant
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA

Post by Prashant »

I used to use "first-gen" and "second-gen" as you do, and have changed over time because the other usage is more common here.

Back to soccer & nationality - what do you think of all the cases of brothers playing for different countries? The Boateng brothers are half Ghanaian & half German, both born in Berlin, but chose to represent one country each, and ended up playing vs each other in the 2014 WC. At least two members of the current French team had full siblings who played for other countries in the qualifying cycle, and I believe more of them had half siblings who did the same. I think Europe & Africa are more comfortable with split loyalties than we are.
Atithee

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA

Post by Atithee »

Prashant, I think if you represent a country you must show commitment by being a citizen of that country, dual nationalities not withstanding. If we want indian genes to represent India, then India must get off its high horse and grant true dual citizenship, not the OCI crap that is a lifelong visa but it’s not due to numerous requirements to renew it if under age 20 and once over 50. These renewals would be tolerable if it weren’t for asinine procedures to renew and ever increasing fees.

So, since you asked, there it is. This is what I believe.