2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

prasen9
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: 2018 FIFA WORLD CUP RUSSIA

Post by prasen9 »

As a child, I kept some data. The cost of a train ticket was say Rs. 3. And, when I traveled, my ticket was checked once every 20-30 times. The fine for without ticket was Rs. 50. It seemed to me that people are better off financially not buying the ticket but by paying the fine on the average. While talking to people who take the train, I found later that people use this strategy. I did not because I could afford Rs. 3 a way and I did not find it morally right. But that is another story.

If you do not have the red card, I would stop a sure goal every time by hand and force the guy to try once more using a penalty shot. I don't want that to be accepted strategy. So, I think a red card for a person stopping a ball going towards a goal or taking down a player with an open goal is very just.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Now, Poulsen's handball was not intentional, imho. His arm was up before the ball came and he was trying to take it away so that the ball does not hit. Poor VAR decision. FIFA should have used VAR extensively before the world cup so that the referees were used to it before the cup is played :-(
Rajiv

Post by Rajiv »

Absolutely once again an horrible decision , Initially thought that VAR would be like cricket, where it is at the referee's discretion as to when to ask for a referral , but here it seems the Couch potatoes are determining the outcome of the game , Even in their (FIFA) rule book it is explicitly mentioned that position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement.

The FIFA rule book (Laws of the Game 2014/2015) defines it as:“Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee must take the following into consideration:• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement• touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement• hitting the ball with a thrown object (boot, shinguard, etc.) counts as an infringement”
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

I appreciate the letter of the law, but the standard most referees use without VAR is twofold: first, is the hand in a "natural position" close to the body, or extended away. And second: is the player looking at the ball when the hand comes in to play, as opposed to say, fallen down & trying to get up. Based on those, that was a penalty. I felt bad for Poulsen, but it is hard to adjudicate intent & distinguish between this & other incidents of handball in the area. Tough break, but correct decision in my opinion.

Keep in mind also that both Christian Eriksen & the Danish coach did not question the handball call per se - rather, they felt that Poulsen had been fouled in the buildup to the handball, and that if VAR could be used to judge the handball, it should also have been used to spot this foul. There is definitely merit in that argument - may as well review the entire sequence. But then how does one define where the sequence starts?
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by sameerph »

So, Argentina seems to be on their way out. They looked poor in their yesterday's match against Croatia.
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Now here's a VAR decision I don't understand. In the Serbia-Switzerland match Mitrovic was absolutely mugged, wrestled to the ground, by two Swiss defenders. Neither the on-field referee nor the VAR intervened. Looked like a dead sure penalty to me. And the score was 1-1 at the time.
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, the Swiss have something going in their favor. One of the Brazilian players with a clear path to goal was literally bear hugged and impeded from behind by a Swiss defender but nothing was called there either...
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

I think DRS in cricket too went through some teething troubles. The teams should be given 1 challenge per half, returned back if correct. That would have solved a lot of these issues.
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

Another BS penalty against Portugal. The guy who headed was behind this guy. His arm was already up before the head. If there is no clear intention, it should not be called :-(
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

prasen9 wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:37 amAnother BS penalty against Portugal. The guy who headed was behind this guy. His arm was already up before the head. If there is no clear intention, it should not be called :-(
On the flip side, Iran were denied an absolutely clear penalty earlier on the William tackle, and Quaresma should have had a red card. Both of these are VAR eligible, but it apparently was used in neither of them. VAR decisions are going great, but VAR usage is still frustratingly inconsistent.
srini

Post by srini »

All the nations which are underperforming in FIFA WC seem to be the nations which have more number of players associated with leagues. On the otherhand nations like Iceland, Japan, South Korea could perform above expectation.This may be so because these players could gel with their national team and spend more time training with them than the other nation players who could train mostly with their club teams.actually if these clubs were allowed to participate, may be one of those FCs can win the cup :)
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

The classiest example set by Japanese football team and their supporters after heart-breaking exit from FIFA WC 2018.

Japan and its fans give us the classiest World Cup exit we could hope for
sameerph
Moderators
Moderators

Post by sameerph »

Yes, I was thinking finally an Asian team is on it's way to QF when Japan led 2-0 with 20+ mins to go but Belgium made a great comeback.

It looks really difficult to pick a winner for this world cup. I will make just a wild guess and predict that Belgium will win going by the way they have played so far.

What is your pick ?
Saniapower

Post by Saniapower »

Japan was riding on luck. Not so good to play at the knock out stages. At last they have been eliminated for good. The goal keeper is pathetic. He should learn ABC of positioning. Congrats to Belgium but my pick is Brazil.
jaydeep
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jaydeep »

Croatia ... :devil: