AFC Asian Cup - 2019 UAE

General Discussion on Indian Football.

Moderator: Moderators

arjun2761
Please enter the middle number: 1

Re: AFC Asian Cup - 2019 UAE

Post by arjun2761 »

Yes, good start for India in the Asian Cup. However, beating Thailand is really beating the dregs of football and we did well to crush them. Clearly, their own press and fans overestimate their substandard team but that does not make them anything but a substandard team.

Personally, the draw against China (in China) was a far more significant result and hopefully this team will make the final 8 of the Asian Cup.
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

jayakris wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:41 am Now, this takes the cake. We complain about our federations firing coaches, but they are never this crazy.

Thailand fires coach Rajevac after Asian Cup loss to India (Seattle Times)

What? It is to India that they lost. Not like losing to some Cook Islands or Pakistan or something. Man, the arrogance of these guys!
Tongue-in-cheek, surely, Jay? We aren't Pakistan (god forbid) in football. But we've been a non-factor in Asian football for the past 40 years, so Thailand's reaction is not that surprising. That was, after all, our first AFC Asian Cup win in five decades! Good signs for Indian football, but Thailand's reaction is understandable!
PKBasu

Post by PKBasu »

It is bemusing to see the leisurely pace at which this tournament is conducted. India's next match (against UAE) is on the 11th (five days after the Thailand match), and the final group match is on the 15th (against Bahrain).

Bahrain and UAE drew their opening match 1-1, so we are currently at the top of the pool standings!
srini

Post by srini »

prasen9 wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:56 pm All that is because the kids are getting divided up into going to other sports than cricket. Whereas, I think in the "mainland" (I know I should not say that), cricket consumes a lot of very athletic kids at the loss of other sports. I like cricket too but this is reality. I wish things were a bit more distributed. Of course, this is my opinion and I do not reside in India. So, take it for whatever it is worth or not.
Yes Prasen, I reside in india and you are right about even distribution. Even schools that middle class afford are also employing Football coaches and providing ground to play and kids are taking up sports per their own interests rather than parent's. Gated communities are mushrooming not just in cities but in 2nd tier towns which provide several sporting fecilities, all these are supposed to have a domino effect sooner than later!
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators
Antispam: No
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jayakris »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:49 amTongue-in-cheek, surely, Jay? We aren't Pakistan (god forbid) in football. But we've been a non-factor in Asian football for the past 40 years, so Thailand's reaction is not that surprising. That was, after all, our first AFC Asian Cup win in five decades! Good signs for Indian football, but Thailand's reaction is understandable!
Actually not really tongue-in-cheek. Thailand should know that, regardless of how bad India has been, it is a loss that many would probably not see as such a disgrace. The name "India" means at least that much, even now. And then, it is not like Thailand has been some juggernaut in Asian football. They were some 20-30 spots above us during the 90s, and then fell to somewhere in the 125 range, still some 30 spots above us. They shouldn't act like they are the Brazil of Asian football or anything, and take a loss to India to be so shameful! It is not like they have never lost to us. They are 6-4-11 against us in W-L-T, all-time.
srini

Post by srini »

Just found that the Thai kids part of the football team who were rescued from cave also attended this match.
2nd photo in the link
https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sp ... p-11092686

Poor kids a second night marish experience for them ?
prasen9

Post by prasen9 »

PKBasu wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 am It is bemusing to see the leisurely pace at which this tournament is conducted.
I don't actually mind this. It is not like they have a bus to catch. If there are no other major club tournaments, etc. at the time going on, it is good to give players good amounts of rest so that they can play at full strength rather than being hobbled, sore warriors. The quality of football should be better. I would rather reward skill than fitness although the tournament should and will test a bit of both.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Thailand bounced back with a 1-0 win against Bahrain. We need to get a win or a tie to stay out of trouble.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

24th minute. 4 or 5 great chances for us so far, but somehow the ball going to the UAE keeper who is doing a great job. 0-0 as of now.

37th minute. Still 0-0. UAE has a lot of possession but hardly creating any chances. India's counter runs have been much more dangerous.

41st minute. Defensive lapse by us. Goal UAE. 0-1 behind. Anas should have been more careful there at the left side when the UAE guy accelerated in. Jhingan too. Both were there but they goofed.

43rd min. Aw.... Sunil's tap shot goes an inch wide. Gosh, any of about 4 shots could have easily gone in for us, but the ball refuses to go in.

Half time. India - UAE 0-1
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

Yikes. They score again in the 88th minute. 0-2 behind. This makes things worse, as now we are 4-3 in GF-GA, which will come into play if we end up as the third best team after the next game. Man, all those chances we missed earlier will hurt us. The commentator says, "Indians look so disheartened on their bench. They shouldn't be. They just missed a lot of chances today. On another day, they will go to the back of the net". That is the truth, really.

90+2 ... My God, a great free kick from Rowlin after some great running by Ashique to cause that, and a great connection from Jinghan. But we hit the post yet again! What is going on??? Just not our day.

It ends at 0-2. UAE is on top of the group, India at second spot. Now anything can happen in the pool.
SaniaFan

Post by SaniaFan »

Other than the 4-5 chances in the first half we hit the cross bar twice in second half. It was just not to be.
jayakris
Moderators
Moderators

Post by jayakris »

SaniaFan wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:54 pmOther than the 4-5 chances in the first half we hit the cross bar twice in second half. It was just not to be.
Yeah, it was just not to be. Though we let them have a lot of possession, we were playing to a plan, and creating opportunities. Taking good shots too, but just not getting the ball into the net. Hope it will all even out in the next match.
RohitG

Post by RohitG »

The scoreline doesn't tell the story but that's how football is. We played well, were denied two corners but I am not gonna complain since we squandered away 5 chances on target, hitting the bar twice. Sandesh too had connected twice during the corners but unfortunately didn't score. Second half was painful: our guys were a bit tired and I think changing the formation to bring in Jeje and putting Ashique on the wings sealed the deal for the UAE. Ashique and Udanta were making wonderful runs in the 2nd half of Thailand match and 1st half today.. so I don't know what the coach thought bringing in Jeje would do.. and of course the final blow was conceding a 2nd to bring our goal difference lower
Prashant

Post by Prashant »

Just focus on Bahrain, win convincingly & hope UAE & Thailand tie. Its not implausible at all...
arjun2761

Post by arjun2761 »

I think a draw with Bahrain should be enough to advance to the next round. Would like to see a little more possession although we are doing OK with shots on goal...